Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

El-P

Members
  • Posts

    18681
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by El-P

  1. Surreal to watch Flair vs Taker V0.1 on Superstars.
  2. It's not the point at all. No. Saying the term is stupid when obviously it has been understood by many people is an excuse to not even try to understand the point that is being made.
  3. Seriously? Could've fooled me, I had no idea. I made a perfect score on my verbal SAT test here in America, and your posts are often better written than mine. Well, thanks for the compliment. But I can assure you I'm sometime stuttering mentally and not feeling comfortable enough to really get to the points with enough precision. I don't agree with that one, for a specific reason: they worked that into the story of the match. Joe was deliberately ripping off a bunch of spots from the AJPW legends, and Kobashi responded by getting pissed off and beating the everliving shit out of this wannabe. I don't think I've ever seen Kenta stiff anyone so hard in the face as he was with those diving double-handed chops in the corner after the hundred-chop barrage. They intentionally made a point out of Joe marking out and doing cosplay spots, and that causing Kobashi to be all "what the fuck, you little punk? You haven't earned that!". Joe only took back over on offense once he stopped being a wannabe and went back to the faux-MMA stuff which was his calling card. Samoa Joe doing masturbatory "I can't believe I'm wrestling KENTA KOBASHI, holy shit this is the greatest day of my life!" e-fed spots and then paying for his hubris was the specific point of the story those two guys were telling. If that's the case, then it went totally over my head. If I ever get to watch it again, I'll try to watch for this.
  4. Yeah, Kurt probably is the Prince of Self Conscious Epics, riding them all the way into the WON HOF. I'd say Trip is the King of Kings of Self Conscious Epics because his are so methodically laid out and overkilled for drama / theatrics / etc. Kurt's tended / tend to be more spotfu. There is probably something to say about this post-modern way of thinking that wrestlers have of going for an epic in a "smart" way of seeking snowflakes, which is totally wrong. Triple H is the King of Miserably Failed Epics.
  5. I think Jerome has walked through what he hates about WWE-style quite a few times since say 2003 and is probably as tired of writing a long, detailed post on it as people who love WWE-style are of reading it. There is this. There is also the fact that at this point, I've became a bit lazy. And also, and I don't want people to think it's a cop-out because it isn't, there's the fact that English isn't my native language, and sometime, I happen to knock my head on vocabulary and grammar issues. Not that I need to translate any thoughts I have about wrestling from French into English, as a matter of fact when I think about wrestling I do it automatically in English because it's the only language I've ever used to talk about wrestling. Still, there is no complex or precise thinking process without mastering the language, and I do feel sometime my English isn't good and rich enough to totally express what I would like to. So I have to find ways of expressing some ideas in the most concise yet thruthfull way possible. I thought "self-conscious epic" was the perfect expression of why I didn't like most modern big WWE matches, and obviously, some people get what I mean. Again, not a cop-out, I'm mostly lazy (and not passionnate enough about WWE to take the time to deeply analyse their stuff), but I think it was fair to state that fact too, which makes me a bit repetitive sometime in my ways of expressing my opinions or thoughts. About "self-conscious epics", I find most of what has been said quite true, especially the difference with a big theatrical match, but I'd like to add also that I take in account the way those modern matches are designed and forced-fed to the audience as "epics" from the get-go. It never feels like two wrestlers having a match developping into an epic, it feels like it's been laid out and carefully preplanned that this was gonna be an "epic", and sold as such to the audience. This goes along the hyper annoying "Wrestlemania moments" we have to suffer through each year now, as those are probably noted on the directors sheet as "Token WM Moment N°X". It's like those movies released as "The new cult movies of....". Well, it's not a cult movie because you decrete it's a cult movie. It becomes one because of what the audience makes of it. In modern WWE, there's no place for the audience, and I think it's a well known fact that the workers are told to ignore the audience, which is to me the exact opposite of what a pro-wrestler should do. And I'll be totally fair in saying WWE are not the only ones guilty of this, although it's pretty systematical there. I remember hating the Kobashi vs Samoa Joe match as it just looked like Joe jerking off by hitting every AJ spot imaginable before the ROH crowd who ate every one of them and thought it made for a great match. One word : cosplay.
  6. I loved Los Cowboys in IWA Japan, so this sounds totally awesome. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rambo the same guy who teamed with Buchanan in the Truth Commision in 1997/98 ?
  7. I never saw that match, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see Honaga get so much love. I'm a Blood Outlaw fan, and Honaga was a breath of fresh air after the days of pure workrate matches following the Sano feud in 90. Honaga was a terrific heel and he had a great chemistry with Liger. Added a lot of dynamic to their matches together. I should get back to NJ TV... or get those sets.
  8. I don't feel I comment that much on it. If I do I certainly should refrain from doing so. Basically did it because I just happened to watch a WWE show (and was semi-interested in Punk vs Cena because of the great Punk promo). I think I gave plenty of reasons in the past why I can't stand the style and the product, and since it's always the same I don't feel like going into specifics again. I guess the reason why I regularly get trapped into watching a match from time to time is in the hopes it would actually grab me and I would love it.
  9. Yes 1997 in Japan had all the sign of the Apocalypse when El Hijo del Choshu Riki got the IWGP belt, Megumi Kudo retired, Zenjo nearly went out of business and totally crumbled. 1998 things were not the same anywhere. WCW was slowly beginning to go to hell, WWF would soon fall under the Russo regime after SummerSlam, ECW was past its prime already.
  10. Hey, I didn't say much. A "What ?" was enough to make him react. Ah, fun times....
  11. Overlooked match when you think about the few great Warrior matches. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it as easily as good as the WM match, with the only thing hurting being the lack of finish. Flair not having a match at Wembley was a disgrace though.
  12. I loved those Razor vignette. Amazing how it made Scott Hall a career despite not being that different from the later Diamond Studd character.
  13. On French version of Superstar we got it at the right time. Odd this was only released on Coliseum, but the french TV was an oddball at the time, with MSG matches thrown in, older matches... Man, I wish I had saved those tapes.
  14. Total dream match on paper. Total throwaway on execution. Between this and the ladder match, two strange WWF matches that could have been big deal on PPV.
  15. I remember watching this in awe on Superstar. I loved Shawn work at this point, much more solid and less über bumpy than later on. In retrospect it's nowhere as great as WMX, but it's an interesting piece of footage.
  16. Heh, I think I know what you're talking about here but i'd still be interested to hear you elaborate. She never seems very sympathetic after all. She's got an obnoxious and showoff quality that makes her not exactly the greatest face, unlike Kyoko who has this happy-go-lucky character. She's got a "look at me" attitude inside the ring that fit her style but also does make me want her to get beat down by Aja. Sorry for the very late answer, was on vacation in Barcelona.
  17. Wasn't that a case of Bill Watts saying "don't show up the boyz with your japanese shit" ?
  18. They are not the same but the very use of the word "not" implies negative connotations. Someone mentioned the words 'solid', 'ok', etc. earlier. If that is what you were implying then say those words. "This lasagna is not very good" "This lasagna is ok" One is clearly a negative and one is clearly neutral/positive. Linguistic. I love this board. Well, I had to balance things a bit because I hear so many times that Cena is that really good worker. Well, he's not. So yeah, I had to be be a little bit negative here. Cena is ok. Lasagna rules though. You do sound like a bitter old man. I would honestly prefer to hear about what you do like because most of your recent posts are all about your hatred for WWE. Create a thread of awesome matches El-P would like us to watch. I know, I realize that. Blame me stumbling on MitB and having my brain trying to get around the fact people actually enjoy this stuff. I shouldn't even try to watch it, WWE does no good for me, and then I'm playing an unviable role. I did contribute to the yearbook threads with positive comments though, although not as much as I would like to for various reasons.
  19. Except that it's been fun. I think you'd like it. They have Punk doing promos about how WWE sucks using lots of typical internet smart mark cliches. I watched the "greatest promo ever". Yeah, it was a great promo. That's why I did watch Cena vs Punk when I stumbled onto MitB. Loved Punk's entrance. Enjoyed the match to a point. Still, I always hated a title switching a hundred time in a month with suspensions and screwjobs and quicky title switch (man, the MitB gimmick seems annoying).
  20. Add to this all of the amazing joshi puroresu and yep, it was a terrific decade. And a varied one. You had great stuff from tons of different style.
  21. Ok, here's my point. What I see on WWE TV are *not* quality matches. This wrestling bores the shit out of me. Going from there, it's easy to name any TV delivering more quality match because I don't see any enjoyable wrestling on WWE TV every time I stumble onto it. We have to agree on disagree on the fact the current WWE wrestling is supposed to be "good". Before the vacations I was watching 1989 NWA Saturday Nights episodes, with mostly squash matches and very few and far between competitive matches. Well, I got tons of enjoyment out of the promos, angles, few good competitive matches and some really fun squash matches. THis appeal to me a lot more that the supposed "great TV" WWE is putting nowadays. And that's not even childhood memories syndrome since I never had access to WCW TV before 1996 and never watched this stuff before. Over the last few years I also watched pretty much all the ECW I could find (a little less than Dylan, but I would say easily 90% of ECW's footage), and I got tons of enjoyment out of it and save an insane amount of stuff on my hard drive. It's not hard for me to find something better than current WWE because I objectively can't stand it. That isn't the case at all. We are just as excited about finding undiscovered gems from 20 years ago as we are at seeing the next Bryan Daniels match. The awesomeness of modern technology means you can do both. Go gaga over new stuff and old stuff. Well quite frankly, more power to you then. I'm definitely turned to the past as far as US wrestling goes at this point, repulsed as I am by WWE and with TNA being so bad and Russorrific. I could download the G1 Climax tomorrow and certainly enjoy it, but I really haven't watched any new puroresu since Misawa died.
  22. Then watch Rey v. Henry next to Bossman v. Kobashi and make that point. I didn't make the point. I'm guessing that was more or less the point.
  23. This is what you don't get, of course I barely watch anything because every time I did for the past 4-5 years, I was so bored out of my mind and hating the presentation of the wrestling so much that what I saw on my screen was mostly repulsive to me. I'm not gonna force myself to watch something I obviously get zero enjoyment or interest from. I watch WM each year (and get bored by pretty much every thing), I watch the occasionnal "great match" because a part of me actually would like to get back into the flow, and I can stumble on french TV from time to time ontop a WWE program, like MitB the other week, which was a total aphazard instance. I can't help it, to me it's unwatchable after 15-20 minutes. I'm not gonna for simple lack of time and to be honest no desire to put me through watch and analyse 5 WWE match at this point. I know it doesn't click with me, I see why. I have no problem with people liking them, quite frankly, to quote a famous french movie reviewer, "People who like it usually are right to like it.". If I never get deeper into the analysis of modern WWE match, it's because I'm already bored by them, so I have no desire spending any more time to actually deeply analyse them. FTR I don't think Rock vs Hogan was a great match. The Rey vs Eddy matches from WWE are to me vastly inferior to their WCW counterpart although still very good, and Eddie vs JBL was excellent and a great Eddie performances. But we're talking about guys from previous eras who, although they did modify their style for the worse to get into the WWE mold, were (or are) still terrific workers. I have an issue with the product as a whole. I can't take the matches out of their context, out of their presentation. They're boring already as they are, but the production (by production I don't mean just the directing, I mean the entire production of the WWE product) makes most of them just unbearable to me.
×
×
  • Create New...