Pro Wrestling Only

Resident Evil's Thoughts on Wrestling AND Life

goodhelmet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another serious question... when did you stop watching McMahonland wrestling? Was it when Benoit killed his family or when Vince screwed Bret?

After watching it strongly for over a year and loving it, I got really tired of the silliness. I wanted more of a sportish feel to my wrestling. Seeing I believe how the intercontinental title switched hands due to said silliness made my heart sink. I noticed that the NWA/WCW had a lot less silliness and was more serious overall so I took to that more and watched mainly that. When I saw some of the WCW/New Japan Starrcade card my mind was blown as it was what I wanted out of my wrestling and more. I couldn't believe the difference in quality.

That being said, it was mainly Bret Hart that kept my interest in the WWF alive. He was one of my favs despite not being pushed hard I thought he was special, innovative, hard working and just plain out cool. The incredible Summerslam tilte switch between Demolition and the Harts singlehandidly kept my interest in the WWF alive. When Bret won the IC tilte it peaked my curiosity and hapiness but when he won the world title title it brought me back into the WWF. I still remember catching the last seconds of I believe a Superstars Saturday afternoon show and trying to figure out if the impossible had happened (and that really did feel impossible back than) and Bret had won the title. Later on that night, I did see him as champ on another show and it was one of the best feel good moments I ever had in wrestling.

From there on, I watched the WWF more until he lost it to Yokozuna who in turn lost it to Hogan at Mania which for several reasons was probably my most disheartning moment tilte change I ever saw. I was never more disgusted with the WWF booking wise and I took a break from it. It wasn't long though as Bret brought me back in.

From there, I enjoyed the product andwatched it to Bret got screwed and than gave it up because I hated what they did to Bret (I could relate to it with my own life) and I HATED the attitude era with a passion. In 2000 I came back because of the radicals. The product had other entertaining stuff as well so it was fun overall even though I liked a more serious side to my wrestling. Eddie and Nancy/Daniel/Benoit dying did get me away from the product. I wasn't watching too much than anyway but after that I stopped. So yeah, a lot of stoppages and restarts. Maybe 2005 was when I stopped following it as closely.

What did you think of Mankind as a gimmick and Mick Foley as a wrestler? As someone who likes manly physiques, Foley doesn't look like the kind of guy you could get behind.

Mankind is awesome. He's the kind of guy the WWE desparately needs today. I have nothing but great things to say about him. One of the best interviews of all time, terrific gimmicks, very hard worker, intelliegent, super bumper and he knows how to put a match together with all sorts of different wrestlers. I actually cheered for him against Owen Hart. Not because I didn't like Owen (Owen rules!) but I wanted confirmation of Mankind going further up the ladder

Foley's physique works for him. Not everyone should have an athletic look as you need people to stand out. Variety is the spice of life. The most important thing anyway is heart and Foley had it. His heart transcended his physique. So once people see that, the heart bit actually sticks out more in comparison to an identical wrestler who was muscled out of his mind.

Have you ever seen the Destroyer/Baba bout from 69? Did you hate the Destroyer working some Lawler like spots into the bout?

As Kermit from Kung Fu The Legend Continues would go, "Oh yeah"

The Destroyer/Baba bout is insanely awesome wrestling and it is a match that should be on any aspring wrestler's tape/dvs collection for studying. If anyone reading this hasn't seen this match go see it now or as DVDVR would say go see it yesterday! I'm a big, big fan of the Destroyer and I actually think his "comedy" stuff is charming. I would also reccomend the Destroyer vs Rikidozan match I caught on youtube awhile back.

Destroyer learned those spots form Lawler?

"It's impossible to fake intensity in the wrestling ring."

Do you read that and even somewhat realize that it's a flawed point in every possible way considering that EVERYTHING is faked in a wrestling ring?

Also, when you "discovered" the more realistic NWA/WCW during the Starrcade you mention, was it the "realistic" nature of Lex Luger's Torture Rack and Liger's costume or the non silliness of "Das Wunderkind"and Johnny B. Badd?

Honestly, that was an awful, boring Starrcade. The best part was Flair covered in blood holding the belt.

1 point for RE on that one. Lawler didn't start until 1970, so it was Lawler working Byer-like spots.

I think the point is getting missed here. For example, when people think of an open faced chop they think of Flair. While Wahoo and Johnny Valentine did them before Flair, crowds aren't going Wahoo!!!! they are going whooo!!!!! in reference to Flair. Just because someone does something earlier doesn't mean they are known for it. Now to the point I was making.

In the Destroyer/Baba bout Destroyer does a great job at hiding the foreign object. When I think of that spot Lawler is the 1st one that comes to mind. So I was wondering how is it that it is great wrestling in the Destroyer bout, but typical phony wrestling by Lawler when he does it. What makes it great when Destroyer does it but not Lawler. I could understand if Lawler did it poorly but he is amazing at it by the heat he generates from it.

"It's impossible to fake intensity in the wrestling ring."

Do you read that and even somewhat realize that it's a flawed point in every possible way considering that EVERYTHING is faked in a wrestling ring?

Also, when you "discovered" the more realistic NWA/WCW during the Starrcade you mention, was it the "realistic" nature of Lex Luger's Torture Rack and Liger's costume or the non silliness of "Das Wunderkind"and Johnny B. Badd?

Honestly, that was an awful, boring Starrcade. The best part was Flair covered in blood holding the belt.

Physical exercise intensity can be evaluated. Yes, even if wrestling is an exhibition. Are you telling me people aren't working in the ring since everything is fake?

I can not attest to the Torture Rack's effectiveness but I have heard that when applied correctly it can be really painful. Anyway, back than when Luger was this muscled up invinclible like superman I bought into the torture rack as a finisher. I thought it looked awesome, painful and I liked how it showed Luger was a strongman by hoisting his oppenents up, keeping them there and jumping up and down.

Alex Wright didn't come into the WCW for about 4 years afterwards.

Lyger's costume was freaking awesome and it is part of what gives him his appeal to the audience. I don't find it silly in the least. Myself, I thought it was pretty cool. Yeah, Johnny B. Badd's gimmick was pretty silly but at least it was fun.

1991?

Ok then, Norman the Lunatic...Calgary dude..thoughts?

Oh, and what's your take on Carrot Top? He's definately corny, but he has a hard work ethic and a body to die for, thoughts?

Singh was terrific on the mike in Stampede and was very comical at times. Quick witted and he was awesome as a heel in the announce booth with Whalen. It was pretty cool seeing him marking out during some of Smith and Benoit's classic Stampede matches. I loooved how he was such a big fan of Johnny Smith or how he'd put over Owen Hart so strongly even though he was a heel and had feuded with him.

He does have some really strong matches on his resume .At least a couple with Owen and some tags too. I remember a great one I think with Jason (AWESOME gimmick), Singh, Benoit and -- ah man --I can't remember Singh's partner right now. He had a very good Worldwide? match with Cactus Jack too in I believe Jack's initial run in WCW.

Norman's gimmick was kind of fun. The Booger gimmick was horrible and I know Singh didn't like it.

Physical exercise intensity can be evaluated. Yes, even if wrestling is an exhibition. Are you telling me people aren't working in the ring since everything is fake?

That depends, did they bust a nut while achieving physical exercise intensity?

If you want, I can teach you how to do it but it won't come easy.

RE, with all your talk about realisim, what did you think of the Maxx Paine/Johnny B Badd feud from '93, where Badd was shot and "disfigured" by a confetti gun?

Hmmmm..... I would have to take another view at it again. I remember not forming any thoughts positive or negative about this angle. I just remember thinking we got an angle going here. Of course, angle wasn't in my vocabulary than.

Back than, I was a Badd fan as I thought he was a good hand. Payne I liked too because of his Fujiwara armbar.

1 point for RE on that one. Lawler didn't start until 1970, so it was Lawler working Byer-like spots.

I think the point is getting missed here. For example, when people think of an open faced chop they think of Flair. While Wahoo and Johnny Valentine did them before Flair, crowds aren't going Wahoo!!!! they are going whooo!!!!! in reference to Flair. Just because someone does something earlier doesn't mean they are known for it. Now to the point I was making.

In the Destroyer/Baba bout Destroyer does a great job at hiding the foreign object. When I think of that spot Lawler is the 1st one that comes to mind. So I was wondering how is it that it is great wrestling in the Destroyer bout, but typical phony wrestling by Lawler when he does it. What makes it great when Destroyer does it but not Lawler. I could understand if Lawler did it poorly but he is amazing at it by the heat he generates from it.

The Cuban Assasin has them all beat. Destroyer and Lawler were never hardcore enough to grow a beard to hide foreign objects in. They never walked around everywhere with a knife in their boot either.*

*IIRC, that might not be accurate.

Do you find any other styles of wrestling phony? What do you think of lucha and the Euro style? Do you like Yoshiaki Fujiwara?

I was a Fujiwara fan before it became cool to do so. Guy rules it and I'm glad to see he's getting more recognised now. Ditto with Andre who I was singing the praises of years ago.

Yeah, there are other phony styles of wrestling. Sometimes WCW would have some more specifically in their tags.

Lucha I really like though I prefer some other forms of wrestling. I also have to be careful in selecting what matches I watch. That being said, I'm so glad Lucha exists because it gives us a unique form of wrestling to watch. Atlantis vs Villano III mask vs mask was incredible. I can't really watch it as much as say puroresu because A)I like puroresu's style better 2)I much prefer Japanese commentary over Spanish commentary due to Japanese being easier on the ears seemingly and C) I like how the crowd interacts with the wrestling better in Japan. Japan crowds are my fav from anywhere.

Euro style I like too.

Jason was an awesome gimmick, but Memphis was too phony?

Question: What do paint chips taste like?

Yes, that is correct. You're learning young one, you're learning.

I have no idea what paint chips taste like. Paint maybe??

You don't realize that I'm far older than you are?

Are you one of those weird Calgary fans who think that the shit they watched was "realistic" and apply that to all other wrestling? Are you one of those wackos who thought everything in WWF was Vince hype EXCEPT his whole "dungeon, excellence of execution, best ever, Calgary" promotional horseshit?

Does it grate you that Vince carnied Old Stu out of his business, but he could never put Memphis out of business?

What's the preferrable way for a wife to submit to her husband? Unconcious after being dosed and getting rammed up the ass or becoming an old cat woman who looks on as she regrets her life as a brood mare for a sadistic imbecile?

Why do dogs have cold noses?