Resident Evil's Thoughts on Wrestling AND Life

goodhelmet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a question?

I was providing important context to previously existing question. I realize as a fan of Memphis wrestling you may not understand the sort of depth of analysis you need to properly examine someone with a career as complex as Taz. But I am going to have to ask you not to troll.

What are your thoughts on Taz? Do his tanning booth activities make it more difficult to enjoy his matches?

Tazz was an underrated commentator in the WWE.

He always had at the very least a good presence and at times a terrific one in ECW. I liked his offense overall. His matches didn't have as strong a structure as the greats did but I thought he was a little bit underrated in the ring too. A strong hand to have on your roster. I was very impressed with his match with Kurt Angle at the Rumble which I rewatched recently.

I honostly forget what happened with Taz. IIRC, there was some kind of sexual claim against him that wasn't proven either way? I have no clue here

Well I'll give him credit for loving Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

The rest of the stuff mentioned fries my brain.

Thing is, I doubt that there are a lot of people who seriously question that is a great game.

If I may jack something tomk posted elsewhere:

Most of the wrestlers who are considered as consensus great wrestlers in the internet subculture of wrestling fans who discuss artistic credentials of wrestlers (outside of Andre, Hogan, Rock) are wrestlers who Phil and Tom like. Phil and Tom regularly praise the work of consensus great wrestler Ric Falir, consensus great wrestlers the MX, consensus great wrestler Vader, consensus great wrestler Stan Hansen, consensus great wrestler Tully Blanchard, consensus great wrestler Fujinami, consensus great wrestler Lawler, consensus great wrestler Verne Gagne, consensus great wrestler Kawada, consensus great wrestler Terry Funk, consensus great wrestler 90s era Jumbo, consensus great wrestler Eddy Guerrero, consensus great wrestler Rey Mysterio Jr., consensus great wrestler Misawa, consensus great wrestler Satanico, consensus great wrestler Lyger, etc. Tom is a bigger fan of Harley Race than Phil. Phil is a bigger fan of Randy Savage than Tom. Tom and Phil write for that subculture and they share that subcultures aesthetic values.

I guess Res would disagree with the notion that Lawler is a consensus great worker, but imaginary surveys aside, that seems to be a minority opinion nowadays. Even if you strip him from the list, it seems that for guys called "anti-smarks", guys like Phil, Tom, Bix, Will, Loss, Eric, Dylan, and myself all hold a lot of commonplace smark opinions. I don't totally agree with Tom about "sharing that subculture's aesthetic values". I tend to think of Segunda Caida/"anti-smark" wrestling aesthetics being a (largely unintentional) rejection of certain more traditional smark values that they thought wrongheaded. Not a total rejection of all smark values, mind you. More a matter of the "wrestling as narrative entertainment" vs. "wrestling as a math equation/figure skating/social dance" thing. Guys who realized that they didn't become wrestling fans to count how many suplexes a guy does in a match. Still, differing perspectives lead to a lot of similar conclusions, and for similar reasons much of the time.

I don't know that there's a significant sub-subculture of video game fandom that thinks A Link to the Past is crap. If you're looking for something that would get knocked by a gaming Segunda Caida, that ain't it.

your hatred of context is typical anti-smark garbage.

But since you think the socratic method is the best way of dealing with RE I will comply with your rules.

RE, can you please explain to us how Davey Richards is more realistic than Dutch Mantell?

Your posts and attitude towards everyone is typical bully pick on others to feel good about yourself garbage.

I like Mantell. I'm mostly familiar with him through his WCW and WWF work though and not Memphis.

See, the thing with Richards is this. You can't fake intensity in life. You can't fake heart, you can't fake drive and you can't fake passion. Wrestling is full of people like this because it's a tremendously hard profession not only to just make it but to thrive in. Wrestling is home to some of the strongest willed achievers you will ever find on this planet. I am great at spotting people who have IT in the department. In other words, the eye of the tiger. Love him or not, Richards is among the elite of the elite in this department. You also see it in his other pursuits in life such as being a paramedic. So when he tries so hard to pump himself up, it is a natural (and proven) technique and extension of who he is as a person. Scott Steiner would do it after a tilt a whirl slam. For people who realise what passion and intensity truly is, they know it is guys like Kobashi, KENTA or Davey Richards. It is realistic for guys like them to be able to do what they can. It also makes it realistic and more believable that he can survive and go 100 percent like he does. On a physical scale, almost nobody could duplicate his physical ability in the ring. So that's what makes Richards realistic.

Serious question... don't you think that the fact that Tazz was 5'2 really hurt the believability of him being a bad ass?

It is undeniable that it hurt him yeah. It is to his credit his presence that I previously mentioned helped him so strongly in ECW to overcome his heigth. He also had the ECW booking to help him out. When he was in the WWF, his shortness became more apparant and would become more of an issue. Still, it was the booking and the arrival/focus of the Radicals that hurt Tazz. I believe that with strong booking he would've kept his bad ass persona in the WWF even in the land of the giants. He certainly started out strong defeating Angle where he was incredibly over.

How would you compare Bryan Daniel to other current WWE superstars? Compare him to 5 other guys you feel are important to the WWE Brand.

I don't watch enough WWE these days to compare him to 5 other wrestlers there. I don't dislike the WWE but I don't find it interesting enough to watch except for the odd matches here and there which sound intriguing.

From what I've seen, he looks great compared to the rest of the roster. I'm also happy to see that he's shaken the "imitation indy wrestler" label he had among some internet fans and has become himself American Dragon or Daniel Bryan now as he is called. I saw the match with Jericho which was very good. I thought both wrestlers helped to make that one. His charisma especially now with the storyline they had going for him is underrated. The match with the Miz was very good to great and is my pick for WWE Moty from what I've seen. I thought he looked awesome in the big Nexus vs WWE tag when he was announced as the suprise entrant. He's going to remind the fanbase of Benoit which is a scary "coincidence" since I am worried about the amount of concussions Danielson has suffered. I did hear the WWE has neurological testing now to some degree so that is good.

your hatred of context is typical anti-smark garbage.

But since you think the socratic method is the best way of dealing with RE I will comply with your rules.

RE, can you please explain to us how Davey Richards is more realistic than Dutch Mantell?

Your posts and attitude towards everyone is typical bully pick on others to feel good about yourself garbage.

I like Mantell. I'm mostly familiar with him through his WCW and WWF work though and not Memphis.

See, the thing with Richards is this. You can't fake intensity in life. You can't fake heart, you can't fake drive and you can't fake passion. Wrestling is full of people like this because it's a tremendously hard profession not only to just make it but to thrive in. Wrestling is home to some of the strongest willed achievers you will ever find on this planet. I am great at spotting people who have IT in the department. In other words, the eye of the tiger. Love him or not, Richards is among the elite of the elite in this department. You also see it in his other pursuits in life such as being a paramedic. So when he tries so hard to pump himself up, it is a natural (and proven) technique and extension of who he is as a person. Scott Steiner would do it after a tilt a whirl slam. For people who realise what passion and intensity truly is, they know it is guys like Kobashi, KENTA or Davey Richards. It is realistic for guys like them to be able to do what they can. It also makes it realistic and more believable that he can survive and go 100 percent like he does. On a physical scale, almost nobody could duplicate his physical ability in the ring. So that's what makes Richards realistic.

See, to me, Richards looks like he's a guy playing a guy who's intense (if that makes sense). It doesn't seem that natural coming from him. I hate this term, but it's like he's trying to hard to be that intense wrestler guy. You know how there's always a guy on the news that's supposed to be the "funny guy". That guy is never funny. He's always trying to be funny, so it's forced and unnatural. That's how I see Richards (but replacing funny with intense).

Yes, I know some people see it like that which is unfortuante but look at it this way. It's impossible to fake intensity in the wrestling ring. He does work hard at displaying that but truth be known that is a 100% proven tatic to pump yourself up. It's similar to the thought process of what a lot of successful people do to try to take themselves to the next level. Perhaps try thinking about it that way.

Yes, I know some people see it like that which is unfortuante but look at it this way. It's impossible to fake intensity in the wrestling ring. He does work hard at displaying that but truth be known that is a 100% proven tatic to pump yourself up. It's similar to the thought process of what a lot of successful people do to try to take themselves to the next level. Perhaps try thinking about it that way.

I don't agree with that. It's pro wrestling. Faking is the whole idea.

I think the only solution is to run a podcast with Wild Pegasus

Now that would have been a hell of a 1 year anny show for Segundo Caida Radio. He could have been the suprise replacement for Dean's no show and the audience could have turned on him like a typical replacement at a wrestling match. It would be like Johnny Smith replacing Lawler in a LLT match with Dundee. No offense to Johnny Smith.