Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-05-13-WWF-Raw] Interview: The Undertaker & Paul Bearer

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Goldust interrupts and tries to put the moves on Undertaker.

"That's driving me crazy. What kind of cologne is that. Is that Embalming Fluid #5?"

Goldust also tells Undertaker he'll lay in his casket anytime and finally Undertaker has enough and goes after him, but then Mankind attacks Undertaker while Goldust looks on. Then Goldust gets on top of Undertaker, but he sits up and Goldust takes off running.

• 4 years later...

"I've never danced with the devil in the pale moonlight, but I'll try anything once. Do you know what rigor mortis is? It's a stiffening of the--AAH!" Dustin's commitment to this is commendable and he gets off some great lines here, but this character is becoming awfully one-note. This is three consecutive programs involving a babyface doing an interview and Goldust interrupting to come onto him, only to get attacked. This time Mankind makes the save for him and puts out Undertaker again with the Mandible Claw. Goldust is about to have his way with an unconscious UT when he sits up and Goldust freaks out and runs off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree that these two are a nice point/counterpoint with one another but Goldust making overtures at faces feels stale by this point and there was so much more dimension and interesting aspects they could have done with his character than this. The attack by Mankind and subsequent sit up by Taker was well done.

• 2 years later...

Pretty interesting segment in the context of WWF at the time. All very outlandish, gimmicky characters, very WWF, but all with a much darker or edgy aspect than gimmicky WWF characters of older years, plus a more 'crash TV' feel to the segment. Goldust really feels like a big star. Dustin Rhodes is just a hell of a wasted potential in wrestling -- incredible worker, good promo, could work a character. Very good segment. I was thinking that this might have been a fun triple threat match to do.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-05-13-WWF-Raw] Interview: The Undertaker & Paul Bearer