Pro Wrestling Only

WON 2010 Awards Ballot

rovert

Since Dylan asked:

Voting will start on 12/1 for the 31st annual Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards, which will be released in January. Balloting will end at midnight on January 6, 2010, with results published later in January in our annual double awards issue. Voting is only open to Observer subscribers.

These awards cover the period from December 1, 2009, through November 30, 2010, so keep that in mind while voting. Anything that takes place before or after those dates shouldn't be considered.

"CATEGORY A" AWARDS. PICK A FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE FINISHER IN EACH CATEGORY. POINTS WILL BE AWARDED ON A 5-3-2 BASIS. THE WINNER OF THE AWARD IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL POINTS.

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD: This is open to pro wrestlers, for a combination of everything, being both important and influential this year in a positive manner from a business perspective, combining both box office impact as well as strong match quality in worked matches. Last

year's top three were Chris Jericho (who also won in 2008), Hiroshi Tanahashi and Naruki Doi.

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER - This is also for a combination of fighting inside the ring and importance outside in a positive manner from a business perspective as well. The top three MMA finishers last year for the Thesz/Flair award were Brock Lesnar (who also won in 2008), Georges St. Pierre and Fedor Emelianenko.

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER - This is based on working ability in the ring only. Simply, the best workers in the world on a consistent basis over the past year. Drawing power, charisma and push shouldn't be considered. Last year's top three were Bryan Danielson (winning it for the fourth year in a row), Davey Richards and KENTA.

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER - This should be based on in-ring ability and wins against the top level of competition during the calender year. Last year's top three were Georges St. Pierre (who also won in 2008) , Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo Jr.

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Based on drawing big houses (or for that matter selling tickets to small houses as the case may be), buy rates and/or television ratings. Rating work shouldn't even be considered. Last year's top three were Brock Lesnar (who also won in 2008), John Cena and Georges St. Pierre.

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR - This should be based on a combination of having a compelling storyline along with having great matches that should strengthen the box office. Last year's top three were Jeff Hardy vs. C.M. Punk, Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir and Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio.

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR - For the best working and most valuable tag team during the previous year. Last year's top three were Eddie "Eddie Edwards" Edwards & Davey Richards, Matt & Nick Jackson (now TNA’s Generation Me) and Chris Jericho & Big Show.

8. MOST IMPROVED - This is based on making the biggest strides in ring work during the previous year. This should not be for someone who was already good, but was given a bigger push. Last year's top three were The Miz (who also won in 2008), Cody Rhodes and Kofi Kingston.

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS - Who has given the best interviews on a consistent basis over the past year? Reputation from previous years shouldn't be taken into consideration. It should be based on work over the course of the year as opposed to one or two memorable interviews. Last year's top three were Chris Jericho (who also won in 2008), C.M. Punk and Frank Mir.

10. MOST CHARISMATIC - What person had to do the least to get the most out of it? Who do crowds naturally react to emotionally even before the person does anything? Last year's top three were John Cena (winning it for the fourth straight year), Jeff Hardy and Brock Lesnar.

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - This is for having the ability to use high level technical wrestling moves within the context of building a great worked pro wrestling match. Last year's top three were Bryan Danielson (winning for the fifth straight year), Kurt Angle and Davey Richards.

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD - This is for the wrestler who uses brawling tactics to put together the best matches during the previous year. It's not for a guy who does brawling matches that aren't any good. Last year's top three were Necro Butcher (who also won in 2008), Samoa Joe and Masato Tanaka.

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER - This is for the wrestler who does the most innovative and solidly executed flying maneuvers within the context of putting together great wrestling matches. This is not for simply the hottest daredevil moves, which sometimes hit and sometimes miss. Last year's top three were Kota Ibushi, Evan Bourne and Dragon Kid.

14. MOST OVERRATED - The wrestler who gets the biggest push, despite lacking ring ability or charisma. Last year's top three were HHH, Team 3-D and Kane.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - The wrestler with the most ability, who, for whatever reason, doesn't get a push commensurate with their ability. This should be based on this past year, and not a business reputation earned in prior years. Last year's top three were Evan Bourne, Christian and Jack Swagger.

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR - Should be based on which group put together the best live and television product on a consistent basis, and secondarily, the ability to sell that product at a high level. This means box office and marketing combined with product quality. Theoretically, the top pick should be a company at or near the top on both categories. Last year's top three were the Ultimate Fighting Championships (having won the award for the fourth straight year), Dragon Gate and WWE.

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW - Weekly television shows are the only ones eligible, not monthly shows, specials or individual episodes of a specific program. This is for the best consistent program. Last year's top three were WWE Smackdown, UFC Ultimate Fighter and Ring of Honor Wrestling onHDNet.

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - Pick the three best matches, in order, from the time period. Remember, matches from last December are eligible, but nothing after November 30th from this year is eligible. Please list both the date and location of the match, because some matches

were held many times during the year. Last year's top three were Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels on April 5, 2009, at WrestleMania in Houston, Davey Richards vs. Shingo Takagi on September 6, 2009,

in Chicago and KENTA vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima on March 1, 2009, in Tokyo.

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR - Pick the three best matches, in order, from the time period listed. Again, please list both the date and location of the match. As cool as rebound flying kicks are, WEC fights from DECEMBER of 2010 are ineligible. Last year's top three were Diego Sanchez vs. Clay Guida on June 20, 2009, in Las Vegas, Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone on October 10, 2009, in San Antonio and Mike Brown vs. Urijah Faber on June 7, 2009 in Sacramento.

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - This is based on ring performance, not how someone is pushed or necessarily even long-term star potential. By the standards of the category, a rookie is someone who hasn't had a regular job with a full-time wrestling company before September 1, 2009. Last year's top three were Frightmare, Ricky Steamboat Jr. and Brutus Magnus.

We are trying to compile a complete list of the best candidates. The only WWE major roster performer who fits the criteria we know of is Tamina and the Usos, who started in FCW after the deadline. I believe all of the women on this current season’s NXT are eligible. Percy Watson, Roman Leakee, Buck Dixon, Jacob Novak, Mason Ryan and Titus O’Neil from FCW are also eligible. Others include Kyosuke Mikami, King Fale, Hiromu Takahashi and Tama Tonga of New Japan; Soshun and Yasufumi Nakanoe of All Japan, Kazuki Hashimoto and Takumi Tsukamoto of Big Japan, Kenta Kakiunma and Yoshikazu Yokoyama of Zero-One Tursas and Green Ant of CHIKARA, Adam Cole of Dragon Gate USA, Tyler Veritas and Rich Swann of CZW and other indies, the Bravado Brothers in ROH, Camorra Dalis la Caribena in CMLL, Relampago and Christina Von Eerie in AAA.

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER - For the best performer on a television show who isn't a traditional wrestler, whether they be a management figure, a woman who doesn't wrestle, or a traditional manager. Last year's top three were Vickie Guerrero, Jim Cornette and Don West.

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Last year's top three were Jim Ross, Matt Striker and Joe Rogan.

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Last year's top three were Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler and Todd Grisham.

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW - This should be a major show, as opposed to a TV taping or house show, although TV specials like Saturday Night's Main Event or Ultimate Fight Night are eligible. Last year's top three were Dragon Gate USA Open the Historic Gate July 25, 2009, in Philadelphia; UFC 100 on July 11, 2009 in Las Vegas and Dragon Gate USA Open the Untouchable Gate September 6, 2009, in Chicago.

"CATEGORY B" AWARDS. PICK ONE IN EACH CATEGORY. WINNER CHOSEN ON THE BASIS OF FIRST PLACE VOTES.

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were TNA Victory Road on July19, 2009, in Orlando, WWE Breaking Point on September 13, 2009, in Montreal and the MMA show Ultimate Chaos on June 27, 2009, in Biloxi.

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER - Last year's top three were the Young Bucks (Generation Me)’s More Bang for Your Buck, Evan Bourne’s shooting star press and Kota Ibushi’s Golden Star press.

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Last year’s top three were WWE’s Piggy James angle, Vickie Guerrero being called a pig in her final appearance and using the death of Jeff Hardy’s dog as part of the Hardy Boys’ feud.

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW - Last year's top three were TNA Impact, WWE Raw and ECW.

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were the Sharmell vs. Jenna Morasca on July 19, 2009, in Orlando, HHH vs. Randy Orton on April 5, 2009 at WrestleMania in Houston and Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leitis on April 18, 2009, in Montreal.

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were Chavo Guerrero vs. Hornswoggle, HHH vs. Randy Orton and John Cena vs. Big Show.

7. WORST PROMOTION - Last year's top three were TNA, IWA Mid South and Combat Zone Wrestling.

8. BEST BOOKER - Last year's top three were Joe Silva, Mike Quackenbush and Gedo & Jado.

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - Last year's top three were Dana White, Sanshiro Takagi and Vince McMahon.

10. BEST GIMMICK - Last year's top three were the Straight Edge Society (a lot of good that did), Pope D’Angelo Dinero and Yoshikawa.

11. WORST GIMMICK - Last year's top three were Hornswoggle, the Abraham Washington show and Samoa Joe’s Nation of Violence.

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK - Last year's top three were the Midnight Express 25th anniversary scrapbook by Jim Cornette, Queen of the Ring (Mildred Burke) by Jeff Leen and Drawing Heat the Hard Way by Larry Matysik. Books had to have been released from November 1, 2009 through October 31, 2010.

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - Last year's top three were Mach Madness, Rise and Fall of WCW and Dragon Gate USA’s Open the Historic Gate.

Sorry for the long post there is no spoiler tag on here to hide it.

I dont want to dominate the thread with this. It is just that as you can see the Brawler award is an afterthought these days with Necro winning last year for seemingly no substantive reason other than he looks like a brawler.

Necro has had a bunch of high end stuff in JAPW and IGF this year.

As to how a segundacaida contributopr ballot would look, I'm not sure. The observer awards are for observer subscribers and I have long since stopped my sub, Phil quit his sub earlier this year, I don't think Nick or SLLL have one any more. Neither Eric or Lee who I think both still have subs post here but I am sure if you asked both would be willing to give you a look at their ballot.

Without putting a ton of thought into it:

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD- L.A. Park is only guy I can think of where the combination of draw and match quality would justify. Cena and Dr Wagner really haven't had the matches this year. Might be worth thinking about Rey but...

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER-Manny Pacquiao

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER – Black Terry

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER –Andre Ward

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW-Manny Pacquiao

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR – Gringos Locos VIP v Cerebro/Terry

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR – Dr Cerebro/Black Terry

8. MOST IMPROVED -Chris Masters (although a bunch of that started last year)

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS-(a) John Moxley (2) CM Punk © Super Fly

10. MOST CHARISMATIC – (a)Kevin "Special K" Daley (2) Chico Che (3) Miz

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER -(a) Negro Navarro, (2) Joe Malenko, © Solar

12.BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD – (a) Black Terry (2) Dr Cerebro, © Hijo Del Diablo (D) Necro

13.BEST FLYING WRESTLER - (a) Anthony Pettis , (2) Rey © Mascara Dorada

14. MOST OVERRATED - (A) Konan, (2) Edge, © Kane

15. MOST UNDERRATED - (A) Dave Finlay, (2) Chris Masters

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR--Top Rank Inc.

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW- (a) IWRG, (2) WWE Superstars

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR -either the 2/7 Cerebros v Gringos or the 3/7 one. The 3/14 one also worth a look as it had the bigger show atmosphere. I'd have to rewatch series. I still really love the Demus v Pierrothcito for the right to be fully respected as a man EMLL match and the 1/28 Navarro, Terry, Cerebro v Segura, Zatura, Solar match.

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR - Old veteran on Oakland Bus

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR – SAMOT

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER- (A) Papa Briscoe, (2) That guy in AAA with the blue face paint and a straight jacket

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Teddy Atlas

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER- Mike Tenay

24.BEST MAJOR SHOW -3/14 Arena Naucalpan show with Dahani Jones

CATEGORY B

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR -?

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER -LeBell Lock

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - "I only met Lance Cade once"

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW - Impact

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR -Was Davey Richards v Shingo this year or last? If last then Davey Richards v Kenny Omega

7. WORST PROMOTION - Dragon's Gate

8. BEST BOOKER -who booked the first four months of IWRG this year?

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - Bob Arum

10. BEST GIMMICK - Gringos Loco VIP or Papa Briscoe as Roughhouse Fargo

11. WORST GIMMICK -Konan

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK - ?, There was an interesting article on Mataviejitas in Journal of Crime, Media and Culture. I thought it was deeply flawed but it was interesting.

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD -DVDVR Texas set

I'll take a stab at it

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD: L.A. Par-K

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER: Manny Pacquiao

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER: Negro Navarro

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER: Sergio Martinez

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW: Manny Pacquiao

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR: La Parka Jr. vs. L.A. Par-K

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR: The Kings of Wrestling

8. MOST IMPROVED: Sheamus

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS: L.A. Par-K

10. MOST CHARISMATIC: John Cena

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER: Negro Navarro

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD: Necro Butcher

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER: Mascara Dorada

14. MOST OVERRATED: Davey Richards

15. MOST UNDERRATED: Kaval

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR: Golden Boy Promotions

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW: WWE RAW

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR: Black Terry & Cerebro Negro vs. Las Traumas (4/29/10 = Arena Naucalpan), The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (3/28/10 = WMXXVI), L.A. Par-K vs. La Parka Jr. (6/6/10 = Triplemania)

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR: Amir Khan vs. Marcos Maidana (12/11/10 = Las Vegas, Nevada), Giovanni Segura vs. Ivan Calderon (8/28/10 = Guaynabo, Puerto Rico), Juan Manuel Lopez vs. Rafael Marquez (11/6/10 = Las Vegas, Nevada)

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Relampago

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER: Periquito

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER: Gus Johnson

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER: Todd Grisham

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW: Triplemania XVIII

"CATEGORY B" AWARDS. PICK ONE IN EACH CATEGORY. WINNER CHOSEN ON THE BASIS OF FIRST PLACE VOTES.

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR: TNA Hardcore Justice

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER: LeBelle Lock by Daniel Bryan

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC: Kane/Edge feud

4. WORST TELEVISION SHOW: TNA Impact

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR: Kaitlyn vs. Maxine (10/19/10 = NXT)

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR: Kane/Edge

7. WORST PROMOTION: TNA

8. BEST BOOKER: Marco Antonio Moreno = IWRG

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR: Oscar de la Hoya

10. BEST GIMMICK: Los Invasores in EMLL

11. WORST GIMMICK: Orlando Jordan

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK: The World According to Dutch

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD: Ricky Steamboat = Life of the Dragon

Wow, trying to come up with with choices for these awards is just depressing.

You're not kidding. Let's see if I can try:

"CATEGORY A" AWARDS. PICK A FIRST, SECOND AND THIRD PLACE FINISHER IN EACH CATEGORY. POINTS WILL BE AWARDED ON A 5-3-2 BASIS. THE WINNER OF THE AWARD IS DETERMINED BY TOTAL POINTS.

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD - Umm...fuck. L.A. ParK? Followed by...um...

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER - Brock, GSP

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER - Daniel Bryan

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER - Still trying to figure out if this is supposed to be a workrate category to some degree.

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Why is there voting in a category based on objective facts?

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR - Punk-Mysterio, Parka-ParK, McMahon-Blumenthal

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR - Abstaining since I don't feel comfortable voting because the TNA matches stuff may have been good but I didn't see it because it's TNA

8. MOST IMPROVED - Chris Masters, Drew McIntyre, Dolph Ziggler

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS - CM Punk, Wade Barrett just for the accent. Anyone who votes for Sonnen just showing the world that he's a racist douchebag needs to be punched in the face. Same goes for Epic Beard Man.

10. MOST CHARISMATIC - Cena

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - Abstaining because I didn't watch enough indy lucha. Daniel Bryan will win and deserves it enough that it's not a bad thing.

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD - I found the John Morrison garbage matches kinda fun. Does Goldust count? Regal?

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER - Someone I probably didn't see.

14. MOST OVERRATED - Edge, Davey Richards, ROD STRONG.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - Kaval,

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR - WEC

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW - Don't get Superstars and haven't bothered to Hulu it a lot of the time, so Smackdown by default for pre-Syfy stuff.

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - Undertaker vs Michaels, Bret/Dynasty vs Nexus for sheer fun.

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR - Silva-Sonnen, Zombie-Garcia

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - I haven't seen Tama Tonga, but c'mon, he's Haku's kid

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER - Serena Deeb

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - CM Punk, Josh Matthews, Jerry Lawler post-resurgence

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Mike Tenay, Mike Goldberg, and Mike Hodgewood just to make it a theme

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW - Hell if I know. Can I count Bret Hart Appreciation Night? The elbow drop was really cool.

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - All of them

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER - Springboard Hart Attack

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Linda McMahon senatorial campaign

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR - Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR - Fans Standing Up For WWE vs The Mainstream Media

7. WORST PROMOTION - TNA

8. BEST BOOKER - Umm. Sean Shelby for MMA but that's a different thing. Gedo and Jado because it's awesome that they have their dream job.

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - AGAIN WITH THE FUCKING OBJECTIVE CRITERIA

10. BEST GIMMICK - Straight Edge Society

11. WORST GIMMICK - Vickie Guerrero is "fat"

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK - When did the Gary Hart book come out? If not that then Chris & Nancy

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - When did MX Rarities come out? If not that then Cornette Rookie Year

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Why is there voting in a category based on objective facts?

I have always wondered this.

Going by peoples public ballots it is an apples and oranges debate between Cena (appearing on TV 54 weeks and 14 PPVs approx. per year) vs Brock (appearing on 2-3 PPVs per year).

I guess I can give this a try:

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD: Daniel Bryan

2. MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER - Brock

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER - Daniel Bryan

4. MOST OUTSTANDING FIGHTER - Faber

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW - Manny Pacquiao

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR - Gringos Locos VIP v Cerebro/Terry

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR -Beer Money

8. MOST IMPROVED -Chris Masters and Mascara Dorada

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS -Dave Batista

10. MOST CHARISMATIC - Dave Batista

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - Negro Navarro

12. BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD - Damien 666

13. BEST FLYING WRESTLER - Mascara Dorada

14. MOST OVERRATED - CM Punk

15. MOST UNDERRATED - Silver King

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR -WWE

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW - Arena Coliseo Monterrey

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - So can this be House shows cause I would pick Seth Rollins vs Richie Steamboat from 10/20? Other wise it would be the cage match with the Cerebros vs Gringos.

19. MMA MATCH OF THE YEAR - Zombie-Garcia

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - Mason Ryan

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER - Perequito

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER -Roberto Figueroa

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Mike Tenay or Dave Prazak

24. BEST MAJOR SHOW - Summerslam

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - Sacrifice 2010

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER - Mascara Dorada's one step dive to the outside

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Ric Flair's ring vs Hogan's ring

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR - Jackson Andrews vs Eli Cottonwood 10/20 FCW

6. WORST FEUD OF THE YEAR - Edge vs Kane

7. WORST PROMOTION - CMLL

8. BEST BOOKER - Dusty Rhodes

9. PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - Vince McMahon.

10. BEST GIMMICK - Alberto Del Rio

11. WORST GIMMICK - Kaval: Jobber to the stars

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK -Dutch's book

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - Good Helmet's Tracy Smothers set

I have always wondered this.

Going by peoples public ballots it is an apples and oranges debate between Cena (appearing on TV 54 weeks and 14 PPVs approx. per year) vs Brock (appearing on 2-3 PPVs per year).

I understand the debate. It's not a new argument, as people used to also compare people like Takada and Hogan and make this point. But this is really more a philosophical point about the best way to make a draw. The person who objectively generated the most dollars for his promotion is the best box office draw. It's not a matter of opinion. Every other category is, of course.

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD- Tough one. I think L.A. Park is probably as good as pick as any based on what I know, but aside from Triplemania I don't know what value he had as a draw. So I will go with the default answer to this question which is Cena.

3. MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER – Black Terry, with the minor qualification that if forced to pick at knife point I'd rather watch Chico Che than anyone else on Earth.

5. BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW- Cena I guess.

6. FEUD OF THE YEAR – Gringos Locos VIP v Cerebro/Terry by a hair over Punk v. Rey.

7. TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR – Los Traumas, unless we are counting trios units in which case Gringos Locos VIP.

8. MOST IMPROVED - Sheamus

9. BEST ON INTERVIEWS- CM Punk

10. MOST CHARISMATIC – Chico Che

11. BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - Negro Navarro

12.BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD – Black Terry

13.BEST FLYING WRESTLER - Freelance

14. MOST OVERRATED - Have trouble being sure what this means as this could mean "most overpushed" or "most overpimped by smarks" or some combination of both or something different entirely. I will opt for combination of both and say Randy Orton. If "most overpushed" was sole criteria would say Edge. If "most overpimped by smarks" was I would say Davey Richards.

15. MOST UNDERRATED - See above. If combination of "most underpushed" and "most underpimped by smarks" I would say Chris Masters. If "most underpushed" only I would say William Regal. If "most underpimped by smarks" I would still say Chris Masters.

16. PROMOTION OF THE YEAR- IWRG

17. BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW- WWE Superstars

18. PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - Very tough. I have had this discussion or some variant of it several times this week and have come up with a different answer every time. Black Terry/Chico Che/Dr. Cerebro v. Avisman/Hijo del Diablo/Gringo Loco IWRG 3/7/10 has my favorite moment of the year with the Chico Che fat man freak out/comeback spot. U.S. match of the year is Punk v. Rey from Over The Limit which really was a great, great match with a great post-match payoff. Still in five years time I think the match that is going to stand out the most to me is Black Terry/Dr. Cerebro vs Gringo Loco/El Hijo Del Diablo IWRG 1/24/10. That's the match I judged everything against this year and in some respects nothing really compared to it. So for the purposes of this thread I will go with that match, even though I have answered the same question differently a million times.

20. ROOKIE OF THE YEAR – Assuming he is a rookie Alan Extreme.

21. BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER- Vickie Guerrero

22. BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - No one really deserves this. If pressed I would say Grisham I guess because I found him to be the least offensive week to week guy.

23. WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER- Mike Tenay

24.BEST MAJOR SHOW - Wrestlemania I guess

CATEGORY B

1. WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - Any TNA ppv other than Lockdown or the ECW show.

2. BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER - Chico Che's fat man splash.

3. MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Not sure as nothing in wrestling really disgusts me anymore. I suppose Lawler's Memphis promotion re-running the "Lawler was responsible for Kauffman's death" angle and using a Heath Ledge Joker dressed character as avenger of Kauffman from grave was pretty bad but I actually enjoyed that.

5. WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR - I try to avoid the truly awful. MVP v. Husky Harris was incredibly shitty and would probably be my pick without thinking to hard.

7. WORST PROMOTION - I don't watch Dragon Gate because the style doesn't appeal to me at all. So I would have to say TNA.

8. BEST BOOKER - "who booked the first four months of IWRG this year?" I agree with this.

10. BEST GIMMICK - Gringos Loco VIP

11. WORST GIMMICK - Abyss

12. BEST WRESTLING BOOK - Memphis 82 book.

13. BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - Cornette Rookie Year Set

I haven't kept up with Lucha this year. Why are all you guys voting LA Park for the Flair/Thesz deal?

1. LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD: This is open to pro wrestlers, for a combination of everything, being both important and influential this year in a positive manner from a business perspective, combining both box office impact as well as strong match quality in worked matches. Last

year's top three were Chris Jericho (who also won in 2008), Hiroshi Tanahashi and Naruki Doi.

Yeah once you get past the winners last year including Tanahashi and Doi, look back at the criteria.

This isn't best draw or best worker. This is combination of positive contribution, box office and strong match quality.

Dr Wagner is a guy who probably should win most charismatic and on a stacked AAA card it's pretty clear that he is the biggest star in lucha. But he really hasn't had the strong match quality this year.

Not particularly impressed by Mistico match quality this year and well this year was more about booking Volador Jr's heel turn and the elevation of Sombra than it was about Mistico. EMLL doesn't get enough credit for their booking since they don't do the type of week to week comic book coherence that net fans want, but that's all a seperate discussion.

LA PARK is the AAA maineventer who actually delivers match quality. He feels like the guy who has the right combination of stuff for this category.

Commando Negro started in 2008.

He may be a really good candidate for Most Improved:

This is segundacaida discussing him in a TV match in 2009:

Epidemia, Heavy Boy VS Comando Negro, Goleador

TKG:So neither of us wrote anything about Commando Negro in the 4/2/09 show. Commando Negro is a undercard heel who works a pretty simple heel style of guy who is always bested by the faces. He’s not a big bumping heel or an Averno style guy who eats face offense spectacularly. Just a guy who the faces get the better of. He has nice punches, works nice mat exchanges, nice rope running exchanges but the point with him is that he will always loose those exchanges. He’s never guy in control. When he wins a fall it’s normally a quick cheap win where he either cheats or takes advantages of a slip. Combine that with some good heel shtick and that’s a fine way to work as a heel. But here he is working as a defacto face. Face who is always on the loosing end of exchanges and has no hope spots feels especially jobberish. The Pareja Toxico have worked IWRG a couple times in the past and they’re a indy rudo tag team with lots of “innovative” combo moves. A couple neat spots here and there that someone should steal (I liked both leg drop combo finishers in first fall) but the good ideas are drowned out by the sheer volume of ugly looking show- offy elaborate innovation for innovation garbage. On some level this felt like a political burial as your flashy indy team gets to do all their spots and control 85% of the match and yet still loose to an ad hoc team of midcard face and undercard heel.

PAS: Yeah the whole booking was very odd, it would be the equivalent of the WWE bringing in the Motor City Machine Guns, having them hit all their spots, but still job to a makeshift Zach Ryder and K-Krush team, or ROH signing Osiarian Portal and having lose to Shawn Spears and Sugarfoot. That would actually be a perfectly appropriate use of both teams, but if it happened you would suspect something was up. IWRG is full of guys who aren't any good, but I enjoy, and Goledor has definitely turned into one of them. Maybe it is the height he gets on his springboard armdrag, or his goofy mask, I don't like soccer but I dig him.

It is IWRG so it's possible that it's a different guy under Comando Negro mask. Assuming same guy, he has come a long way.

And Dylan

If "most overpimped by smarks" was I would say Davey Richards.

Really over Marafuji or Tanhashi?

Mistico is the wrestler to watch in 2011 because there is some real mutual interest between him & WWE and it's going to be really interesting to see how EMLL books him during this time period and if he does leave how it affects their business.

Mistico also should be up for best interviews because he is the most honest guy in the business when it comes to speaking his mind. He doesn't care about offending others including his bosses.

LOU THESZ/RIC FLAIR AWARD- John Cena

MMA MOST VALUABLE FIGHTER-Manny Pacquiao

MOST OUTSTANDING WRESTLER – Daniel Bryan

BEST BOX OFFICE DRAW-Manny Pacquiao

FEUD OF THE YEAR – Chris Jericho vs. Everyone

TAG TEAM OF THE YEAR – Santino and Koslov

MOST IMPROVED -Chris Masters

BEST ON INTERVIEWS- Batista

MOST CHARISMATIC – Batista

BEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER - Daniel Bryan

BRUISER BRODY MEMORIAL AWARD – Sheamus

BEST FLYING WRESTLER - Evan Bourne

MOST OVERRATED - Davey Richards

MOST UNDERRATED - The Big Show

PROMOTION OF THE YEAR- WWE

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW- Smackdown

PRO WRESTLING MATCH OF THE YEAR - HBK/ Taker Mania or Miz vs Bryan NOC

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR – Does Trent Baretta count?

BEST NON-WRESTLER PERFORMER- Vickie Guerrero

BEST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER - Jerry Lawler, yeah

WORST TELEVISION ANNOUNCER- Mike Tenay

24.BEST MAJOR SHOW - WrestleMania

CATEGORY B

WORST MAJOR SHOW OF THE YEAR - That TNA Show where Jeff Hardy turned heel

BEST WRESTLING MANEUVER -LeBell Lock

MOST DISGUSTING PROMOTIONAL TACTIC - Nothing that was "promotional" was "disgusting".

WORST TELEVISION SHOW - Impact

WORST MATCH OF THE YEAR -Edge vs Kane at Survivor Series

WORST PROMOTION - TNA

BEST BOOKER -Micheal Hayes, despite Edge/ Kane

PROMOTER OF THE YEAR - Vince McMahon

BEST GIMMICK - Santino Marella wooing Koslov away from his old Queen William Regal, to create a wonderful Gay union that won the tag belts.

WORST GIMMICK - WWE Hall Of Fame Ring Super Abyss

BEST WRESTLING BOOK - I didn't read any new wrestling books this year

BEST PRO WRESTLING DVD - Tie between the Jericho set, the Steamboat set, and the DVDVR Texas set