Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Stubbs

Guest Col. Da Bears

Guest Rob Naylor

Not sure how much footage of his is out there, but everything I used to see on Pro Wrestling This Week (when they'd talk Continental) and all the Mr. Olympia stuff is fucking money.

I know Arn Anderson credits him bigtime for his own improvement in the ring back in the day.... is there a Stubbs comp out there anywhere?

When I was a kid reading the Apter mags, I always marked for reading about two teams... Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden and Jerry Stubbs and Tony Anthony. Any Stubbs/Anthony stuff out there? Surely it had to have ruled, right?

Also, I saw KrizZ reviewed a Stubbs vs. MIKE JACKSON match! Any idea on if they had more than one match? As it seems like a match pairing that I could watch forever.

Speaking of which, recently got to talk to young indy wrestler AR Foxx as well as Colby Godwin, an Alabama indy wrestler that's done some ROH shots... and both of them said Jackson still wrestles now and then. Jimmy Rave even told me a couple year's back that Jackson had a "Best of Mike Jackson" VHS tape for sale at shows (which I kick myself for not getting). Any Mike Jackson singles match recommendations from folks on this board?

Stubbs/Anthony used to be tag champs in the late 80's during the dying days of Continental wrestling when Gilbert left. Stubbs and Austin Idol had a great tag team in 84 and feuded with Ron Fuller's Studd Stable( Jimmy Golden, Arn Anderson, Lord Humongus and the Assassin)

I'm pretty sure Mike Jackson is still defending the World lightheavyweight title in Alabama somewhere. I really liked his squash matches with Flair who gave him a lot of offense.

Jerry Stubbs is one of my all-time favs and one of the most underrated ever for sure. Whenever we do the Alabama/Continental set he will be prominently featured.

I wish Jackson would've worked more in Continental because when he got TV matches he got time, but he was okay as the ring announcer.

Guest Rob Naylor

Dude, Mike Jackson is my fucking idol. The undersized babyface with tons of fight. Such a good little wrestler, in the same vein of a Brady Boone. Rarely made any missteps in the ring.

Stubbs is a mid-range player on these discs, but there's a fair bit of him.

Condrey and Rose were a helluva heel team here, boy...

3081-83 SECW TV Spring 1981 (3 discs) VG

Disc 1: Stan Lane vs. Robert Gibson, Interviews with Paul Orndorff, Randy Rose,

Dennis Condrey, Robert Gibson, more, Orndorff/Norvell Austin vs. Mr. Saito/The

Shadow, Randy Rose vs. Jerry Stubbs, Jimmy Golden vs. Ray Harris, Brad Armstrong

Vs. Stan Lane, Ron Bass vs. Robert Gibson, Condrey/Rose vs. Austin/Orndorff

(Arena tape), Orndorff/Stubbs vs. The Superstar/Joe Turner, Southern Streefight

Battleroyal (Arena highlights), Jimmy Golden unmasks Tennessee Stud (Arena film),

Rose/Condrey vs. Charles Otem/Brad Armstrong (Bob Armstrong run-in), Les

Thornton (World Jr. Champion) vs. Jerry Stubbs (Arena film), Stubbs vs. Lane.

Disc 2: Robert Gibson vs. Ted Allen, Condrey/Rose/Saito attack Orndorff/Armstrong

(during arm-wrestling contest), Norvell Austin vs. Jerry Brown, Roy Welch/Ray Harris

vs. Ron Bass/The Super Pro, Mongolian Stomper (Southeastern Champ) vs, Charlie

Cook, Rose/Condrey vs. Ken Lucas/Ray Harris, Ron Bass vs. Roy Welch, Condrey

Vs. Welch, Stubbs vs. Driver, Stan Lane vs. Robert Gibson (Arena film), Turner vs.

Orndorff, Ron Fuller vs. Jimmy Golden (arena film), plus a ton of interviews.

Disc 3: Saito vs. Orndorff (arena film), Rose/Condrey vs. Stubbs/Harris, Lane vs.

Brad Armstrong, Ron Bass vs. Bob Owens, Rose/Condrey vs. Armstrongs (Cage,

Arena film), The Shadow/Brad Armstrong vs. Turner/Superstar, Saito/Lane vs.

Burrhead Jones/Ted Allen, Stubbs/Lucas vs. Don Carson/Ron Maxwell, Ron Bass

Vs. Ken Lucas (arena film), Ron Fuller vs. Ron Bass/Jimmy Golden (hdcp), Arena

Film of Condrey/Rose vs. Shadow/Brad Armstrong tag tourney finals, Brad

Armstrong/Shadow vs. Stan Lane/Mr. Saito, Stubbs vs. Superstar, Ladies match,

Golden/Bass vs. Ron Fuller (cage, arena film), Ken Lucas sleeperhold demonstration,

Plus tons of interviews.

I have volume 2 of the Best of Mike Jackson Video Tapes that I purchased from him at a show almost a decade ago.

A bunch of cool stuff including a match with the recently passed Nightmare Ted Allen.

I'm just curious: which promotions are featured on this? I would imagine he worked in some places that are slightly off the radar where he had a little more ring time and offense.

• 1 month later...

From the few Olympia matches I've seen on disc one of the Mid-South set, he's probably one of the most slept on workers of the 80s until now.

This also interested me from his Wiki entry:

In an interesting aside, Curt Hennig and Stubbs would meet in Japan where Stubbs explained the "Mr Perfect" gimmick to Hennig and gave his OK for Hennig using the gimmick in the WWF.

Which led me to wonder: why didn't Vince or Crockett ever pick this guy up? I mean he was better than Tito Santana. Would have made a great IC or US champ circa 86/87. Strange he never got a run in the big 2.

Also, is his All Japan stuff any good?