Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-03-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies

Loss

• 1 month later...

The Rock & Rolls are too stupid to know when to quit, according to Cornette, so the new plan is to embarrass the Rock & Rolls and send them packing. Cornette also announces that based on a court injunction he got, now the Beat The Champ challenger will be picked a week in advance so the champ (Eaton) can prepare.

The name is drawn, and next week, Eaton must wrestle Tom Pritchard!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Bob Caudle says to Cornette that the Stud Stable are ready and he enquires for what? The retirement home? Alocholics Anonymous? Maybe they're ready to go home, watch TV, drink beer and leave competing in sports to real men like them. He says that they've come to the conclusion that even though they can beat the Rock & Roll Express time and again, they don't know when to quit, so they plan to embarrass them out of SMW and maybe all of wrestling too. He informs us that Bob Armstrong isn't here today and produces and injunction from his pocket. So far the Beat the Champ challenger has been picked at the start of every program and whomever the champ is doesn't get the time to prepare for them. This injunction changes that as he argued in court that a man needs the chance to prepare for his challenger, so from now the challenger will be picked one week ahead in advance. Caudle picks the name of Eaton's challenger for next week and picks Tom Prichard. Cornette sells this great and thinks all the pieces of paper in the hat only had Prichard's name on them. When he sees that they don't, he tears the injunction up and says that they don't need it, but Prichard says that he would quite like to have the match. Prichard and Eaton get into a shoving match with Cornette having to get between them. Cornette again tries to say that Prichard doesn't want the match, but Prichard informs Caudle that he did a hell of a job in pulling his name out and he'll take it.

Tremendous stuff and having already watched a few more later episodes, Cornette has a hell of a few weeks in these interview segments where the Heavenly Bodies Inc. slowly start to fall apart.

• 8 months later...

A whole lot packed into a little over three minutes.

I didn't know that the issue between the Bodies and the Studds was still unsettled after Bluegrass Brawl. Then again, if Rock 'n' Roll won the three-team match, I guess it would make sense for the two losing teams to still have unfinished business.

The Prichard-Eaton stuff was gold, and it's a shame that this is only a setup to send Bobby back to WCW. I'd like to have seen which one of these guys would have turned face, and which side Stan would have been on. As I've said before, this is what separates the Bodies from the MX; as great as the MX were in the ring, they had very little team personality that didn't belong to Corny. The Bodies, particularly Dr. Tom, are individuals first with their own agendas, thoughts, and personalities. That's why Corny's reaction is such a treat to see; he's not used to his guys doing anything that he (or, by proxy, his mother) doesn't tell them to do. One member of his team going after another's singles title? Unheard of and inconceivable! Even if this ends up petering out (as I've heard it does), the setup itself was compelling TV.

Bob was excellent here, although I did catch him smiling at Corny's remarks about the Studs, which is out of character for him. I loved his reaction when he drew Dr. Tom's name out of the bag, and he was also great when Corny tried to tear up his injunction. He just may be the best TV show host in wrestling today, although Dave Brown in Memphis also has an excellent case.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-03-SMW-TV] Interview: Jim Cornette & Heavenly Bodies