Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-17-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express and the Heavenly Bodies

Loss

• 1 month later...

It doesn't take long for Cornette to interrupt to goad the Rock & Rolls into a fight. Pritchard throws powder in Robert Gibson's eyes, and they hold Ricky Morton down and tar and feather him! This all ties into the Bodies' plan to embarrass the Rock & Rolls out of SMW.

Morton then does a pretty good promo promising revenge while covered in feathers.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Somehow I knew Cornette's talk of embarrassing the Rock 'n Rolls was going to lead to a tar and feathering. I feel vindicated, though Ricky sure does come across as dumb walking directly into Cornette's trap.

Lots of talk about one of these teams leaving Smoky Mountain Wrestling, which I assume means that Stan Lane is not long for the in-ring wrestling world. Morton's promo is awesome, with some tremendously effective use of swear words.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Ricky Morton is sick of Jim Cornette coming out and saying that he’s going to get rid of the Rock & Roll Express, but says that they’re going nowhere. Cornette and Tom Prichard come out and Cornette says they’ve got them a little going away present, so why don’t they come on over and open it? Morton says that he’s tired of this so the two of them go over, but it’s just a ruse (surprise, surprise) as Prichard throws powder in both of their faces. Cornette attacks Gibson with his racket and here comes Stan Lane and Bobby Eaton to make it four on two. The Bodies and Cornette tar and feather Morton until Brian Lee and Tracey Smothers rush out to see them all off.

Morton is back out after a Bodies vs Stud Stable match and still hasn't showered. He swears that one of them, either the Rock & Roll Express or the Heavenly Bodies is going to leave SMW and it's not going to be them!

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd seen the limits of wrestler stupidity, but I guess I was wrong. Morton knows damn well that this is a trap set by Corny and the Bodies, even says so on the air, but casually decides to fall for it anyway for no good reason. Why not have the Bodies attack from behind in front of Caudle? Seriously, did Bob have a health issue at this time that stopped him from getting too close to physical contact, even by accident? Why else would you book your top babyfaces to know perfectly well that a trap's being set for them, but decide to walk into it of their own free will? I've never heard of that before, at least not as blatantly as it was done here.

Morton's promo afterward undid some of the damage, but not nearly enough. Still, I get the feeling that something big's going down soon with regard to this feud, and it just might involve Mr. Lane. I thought Stan lasted a little longer than this, but I guess not.

The highlight of this for me was Dutch launching into some bullshit explanation of why he couldn't go down and stop the Bodies, then deciding to tell the truth: he hates both teams and wants to see them kill each other. Stuff like that is why Dutch is the best color commentator in wrestling at this time.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-17-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express and the Heavenly Bodies