Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Interview: Koko B. Ware / Interview: Dennis Coraluzzo / Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Koko Ware is back! They cut to a video of Dennis Coralluzzo accusing Lawler having an illegitimate child in the Northeast. Dennis accuses Koko of being the "black sheep" of Lawler's family and says he's going to "beat the black off" of him. He then says Koko has been eating greasy fried chicken so long that he's starting to smell just like it! Good Lord!

Koko sings a great retort and says he will make quick work of Kamala.

Then, Lawler comes out for an interview saying he and Austin Idol going to do terrible things to the Moondogs on Monday night!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The early vestiges of the WWF/USWA agreement are coming into view. I believe this was set up by the WWF cutting back on house shows and allowing some of their lower-level guys to take indy bookings.

Dennis Coraluzzo is working a lawyer gimmick, apparently, sending the "black sheep" of his family after Unified World Champion Kamala. Coraluzzo goes off on every black stereotype imaginable as the camera zooms inside his nostrils. Well, this makes the Horsemen/JYD feud look like Do the Right Thing. Koko laughs this off and promises to be the next World Heavyweight Champion of the World. Koko serenades Kamala and us with a rendition of "A Change Is Gonna Come." He stumbled a bit but Koko seems happy to have an actual issue to talk about.

Going against the Moondogs on a special Sunday afternoon MSC show will be Lawler and Austin Idol, making his semi-annual return to the territory. Either he legitimately skipped the taping or they're deliberately playing up his no-show rep.

• 2 years later...

Lawler's interview was the best of the three, as you'd expect. I love how he practically admitted how much of a scumbag Idol could be, but still said that they could beat the Moondogs. By the way, where's Dundee? He hasn't left for WCW yet, so he must be injured, because you know damn right well he'd be in the middle of this whole Moondogs mess otherwise.

I liked Koko here too. He's doing more than singing a few notes and showing off Frankie for the first time in years, and it's almost like he's been released from jail on work detail. He's got the crowd fired up too, and Dave's grinning like he hasn't in quite some time. Unfortunately, without Lawler either holding it or challenging for it the Unified World title is nothing more than an afterthought.

Want to know what's worse than a disgustingly racist promo? A disgustingly racist promo delivered with all the conviction of a third grader's book report. Coraluzzo's barely reading the cue cards competently, and the idea of someone like him actually being able to connect to a monster like Kamala is totally ludicrous. Richard Lee would have been a much better choice as Kamala's mouthpiece at this point, but I guess he was so associated with the Dogs that they didn't want to mess with success.

• 2 years later...

Coraluzzo's promo went quite a ways too far, but that is a theme of this week's show it seems. I liked Koko's promo and singing a lot, even if I thought Lawler had a better promo. Good to see Koko able to do something other than be a ridiculous gimmick for Vince.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-02-01-USWA-TV] Interview: Koko B. Ware / Interview: Dennis Coraluzzo / Interview: Jerry Lawler