Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-30-SMW-TV] 'Mountain Mayhem' Battle Royal

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. We see Buddy Landell (making his first appearance on a yearbook) throw powder in Horner's eyes and the remaining guys start falling quickly. They set up a rematch with Horner and Landell with Landell putting the $5,000 he won in this battle royal on the line in a rematch. Landell does a fun promo responding to this, saying Horner would have better luck walking through hell with gasoline drawers than messing with him!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Smoky Mountain seemed to be the only gig that Buddy didn't screw up in short order. Was Cornette just overly lenient, or did Buddy finally straighten himself out? Great stuff from Buddy, and I love Bob saying that instant replay has never worked in any sport. Seeing as it's used in pretty much every other sport, and is randomly enforced in this sport.

• 2 years later...

The Mountain Mayhem Battle Royal was SMW's take on the Royal Rumble, but had all the participants sat at ringside (instead of coming from the back) entering at two minute intervals depending on when their number was drawn. There were 17 participants and the entire match went about 40 minutes, neither Bodies were eliminated legally (got to protect those top stars), whilst the final seven eliminations occurred in a ridiculous 80 seconds! Landell is eliminated, but the referees are distracted by the previously eliminated Dirty White Boy who is trying to help eliminate Brian Lee. Landell gets back in the ring, throws Horner over the top rope and is awarded the $5,000.

After the match Horner goes to Armstrong and says everyone saw him eliminate Landell, that he's got $5,000 of his money and wants to know what he's going to do about it. Armstrong says he sympathises but the referee's decision is final and instant replay has never worked in any sport, however he is ordering Landell to bring the cheque with him next week for a rematch with the money on the line. Landell says that Armstrong must be punch drunk and awfully crazy if he thinks he's going to put up $5,000. He's already beaten Horner fair and square so why does he have to put up the money? What's it to him? It's only another loss in his career, it's not like nothing new is happening? Landell saves this segment and is an incredibly funny and creative promo, Horner, well is Horner.

• 5 months later...

First of all, Buddy's promo is the highlight of this segment. I liked every promo of his that Will put on the SMW set, and now I remember why. He may have copied his name, hair, and finisher from Flair, but he's got a mic style all his own. Horner can't compete, and neither can Bullet Bob, really.

As far as the match goes, I understand the part about referee's decisions being final, but to use the "instant replay doesn't work" argument in this case is dumb. Buddy was clearly and uncontroversially eliminated, and the replay would show that. Smaller promotions are falling into the bad habit of trying to use multiple justifications for their decisions when one would do just fine. What's the matter with, "Sorry, Tim. You eliminated Landell, I saw it, the fans saw it, but Curtis didn't, and he's the ref"?

Horner's beginning to whine a little too much for his own good, which is why Bullet Bob's doing a lot of the money promo stuff for him. Quite frankly, I'm surprised Corny didn't use the Bullet as an "advisor" (read: mouthpiece) for guys like Horner and Lee instead of as commissioner. He could have used Sandy Scott for that role instead.

Seven eliminations in eighty seconds? Who controls when guys go out? If it's someone other than the wrestlers themselves, they need to watch a few more battle royals and get a feel for how eliminations are supposed to be paced. If it's the wrestlers, I guess there's not a whole lot to be done. Maybe a bonus for keeping eliminations within a certain interval?

• GSR changed the title to [1992-05-30-SMW-TV] 'Mountain Mayhem' Battle Royal
  • 1 year later...

I was thinking the same about instant replay.  Would have certainly worked in this instance Bob.  Also, if the decision is final why is Landell forced to put the 5k on the line?  Seems like the decision is anything but final.  Good promo by Landell, Hell with gasoline drawers on sounds awful.