Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-12-20-UWFi-Double Takada] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Hiromitsu Kanehara

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It's something to go back earlier and earlier and see how skinny Takayama was.

He really looked like he had Marfan Syndrome--he looked like Pak Song.

This is a total war with Kanehara throwing some awesome suplexes and kicks. The point systems in these matches aren't always intuitive (one suplex clearly gets treated as a knockdown, while others don't) but they can still be indicative of how a match is going. In this case it was fun to watch both guys lose like 6 points apiece in the span of 5 minutes. One of the better shootstyle matches of the year.

• 2 months later...

Just look at young Takayama. Its strange to see him work submissions on the ground. Kanehara with a great northern lights suplex into a rear naked choke. Shoe said it best -- this really felt like a sprint version of a UWFI match with lots of bombs, suplexes and submission attempts. Takayamda gets in a huge German and a series of knees before tapping to a rear naked choke. I thought this was pretty damn good and on the higher end of shoot style matches for the year. I also recall Takayama having a rep as a poor worker until post-Frye. Was that considered the case here as well or only when he first moved to traditional puro?

***3/4

• 2 years later...

This is what I always thought shootstyle was: a race to outscore your opponent and get the win. You'd be surprised hoe few shootstyle bouts are worked like this, which is why the style is boring and confusing to a lot of traditional wrestling fans.

I always thought knockdowns, whether by strike or takedown, were worth one point, but one of Kanehara's suplexes at the end gets two. Is that a rule change or could they have just been looking to get the match over with faster for some reason?

I'm still not experienced enough in the style to call this the best shootstyle match I've ever seen, but it was definitely one of the ones I enjoyed the most.

UWFi rules are explained at the beginning of every BUSHIDO episode (UWFi shows with english commentary). I always forget the details about points loss but I think it's:

rope break-1

suplex/throw-2

knockdown-3

knockdown via suplex/throw-4

http://www.scientificwrestling.com/public/department72.cfm

just pick an episode and watch it from the start if you want more insight into the rules

• GSR changed the title to [1992-12-20-UWFi-Double Takada] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Hiromitsu Kanehara
  • 2 months later...

The best match in their series so far, continuing the tradition of sloppy charm. They scrap around, both on their feet and on the mat. Takayama's strategy is largely the same: knee knee knee. But when Kanehara catches one, he dumps him with a big waterwheel slam and tries to choke Takayama out. Takayama looked more comfortable here and he definitely got to shine, hitting a big capture suplex, popping Kanehara in the face with a flying knee, and an awesome German. Kanehara looked good here, too, with his kicks and counters - loved him catching Takayama's kick and high kicking him in the head with the opposite leg. Or the leg catch slap. Really good desperation there at the end between the holds and counters and wild strikes -- at one point, Kanehara kicks Takayama in the nuts to set up a leglock.  Kanehara hits his own German and finishes Takayama off with a choke. Fun stuff!