Pro Wrestling Only

When Big men get squashed

JerryvonKramer

Wrestling adheres to its own reality. The mentality 'Its not real we can do anything" is why it is in the shitter. Rey can't just use eye beams to kill Mark Henry. It has to be logical within the confines of the reality of pro wrestling.

If Spider-Man K.O's the Blob and there is no logical (within the confines of their reality) explanation, that is shitty writing.

Sorry to go off on a mild tangent, but here goes ... don't know about the Blob, but Spider-Man often took on huge guys much stronger than he was (Rhino, Ox, Juggernaut) by using the most likely little man vs big man strategy, what I call the Bugs Bunny defense : using speed, agility and cleverness to dodge around and tire out the bigger man until he gets mad enough to make a fatal mistake, then capitalize on it. And even when he beat the Juggernaut, it took a lucky break and he took an horrific beating doing it.

The feast or famine aspect of fat guy wrestlers has always been totally believable to me. If the guy catches you and puts his weight on you 9/10 you're fucked, but his weight and lack of mobility (in most cases) will leave him very vulnerable to lose in ways other guys might not. I think of Yokozuna and Steve Austin in 96, short match, basically a squash, but Austin won because Yoko was so fat he fell off the turnbuckles and knocked himself out. There has to be logic obviously, but I can totally buy a fat guy losing in under 5 minutes just as easily as he could win. Spiderman v. Blob is a good example. Not easy to get Blob off his feet, but once you do he's a sitting duck. Lochness was pushed as a monster against jobbers, but he never showed any kind of skill beyond being fat and sitting on people. Paired off against a giant with a speed, agility and skill advantage? Of course he's going to get beat quickly.

I can buy Snitsky losing to smaller guys because Snitsky the character is DUMB

Khali is still to this day protected and booked pretty well, so when he loses it's because his size and accompanying lack of mobility work against him. There's always a reason for his losses, and they're always carefully handed out.

One that always bothered me was Big Show in that period after his initial big push where he fell out of favor due to his weight and ended up being sent to OVW. I don't remember any specific matches, just that he would lose to midcard guys in 5-6 minute matches and it was completely unbelievable to me. They were lucky they were able to get him over as a monster again after that, but it's a credit to how good he can be.

There has to be logic obviously, but I can totally buy a fat guy losing in under 5 minutes just as easily as he could win. Spiderman v. Blob is a good example. Not easy to get Blob off his feet, but once you do he's a sitting duck.

Most of us are veterans of fighting King Hippo.

I just mean my basic point is he did not use brute force. He outfoxed his foes.

I can buy Rey beating Big Show at this point. But not if he goes in kicks him in the head, hits a splash and pins him in two minutes. Taz most of the time beating guys a lot bigger had to use skill to do it.

Its not those Spike Dudley squashes which after the first one or two were dreadful. The guys fat not stupid. He should know to block the nut shot at that point.

Just watched Marcus Bagwell and Scotty Riggs go over Shark (Earthquake) and Maxx in less than 5 minutes on The Main Event leading into Slamboree 1996.

Wow, the internet is amazing sometimes, here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et48SdWu4cI

Now, while they do call this as a big upset, why is Shark getting pinned so easily there?

Then Giant comes out and chumps him out even more with a choke slam. Talk about a burial.

• 1 year later...