Pro Wrestling Only

[1995-09-11-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Sid

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. He beats the big guy with three superkicks. Pretty decent action and a clever finish. I didn't care for the stuff with Shawn early in the year as a heel, but since the babyface turn, he's been on fire, having excellent matches and being pretty over.

Post-match, Shawn does the striptease and I remember why he's so ... Shawn.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

WWF Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels vs Sycho Sid - RAW 9/11/95

The main event of the first RAW of the Monday Night Wars and that dirty, low-down, egg-sucking Eric Bischoff gives a way the result?!?!?!!? This really is a war! :)

Shawn beating the big guy with three superkicks is a bit reductionist because Sid actually gave a pretty good performance for the big lug. His punches looked way better and he was moving around really well (especially since he usually seems so awkward). Hell, I thought he looked good against HOG at the PPV working on his back and ultimately beating him with a powerbomb. It was a decent power match. Something was in the water for Sid in September of 1995. I thought this was very reminiscent of Shawn working Demolition or Powers of Pain. Not quite at that level, but one of Shawn's biggest strengths is getting good matches out of stiffs like Sid. He knows how to work a smart shine to get himself over and in turn still not undercutting the monster heel, which only gets him more over. That is the ticket folks by making Sid an obstacle, Shawn only has more to gain. Why did he switch to a left handed jab when his right hand cross is way better? Shawn's selling and bumping for two make the normally boring Sid control segments look great. The finish was a unique way for Shawn to use Sweet Chin Music to win. I thought he needed three in succession instead he used two kicks to set up for the grand finale, which was really smart. This is definitely a strong Shawn performance. ***

The striptease is something else. I am actually partial to all the zebra print, mirrors, sparkles and dancing on the entrance. I think color and fun are a very important part of wrestling. In 1995, Shawn Michaels looked like he was from 1987 so he was a little behind the curve, but hey I think it was a cool aspect of the character and it was clearly over with a segment of the fanbase. The striptease to end this show goes a little too far. This is not the Attitude Era and there are a lot of kids in attendance. Overall, I am pro Shawn Michaels entrance. I think it is fun and campy. An actual striptease would clearly be too much.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1995-09-11-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vs Sid
  • 1 year later...

Sid does a kip-up in this. That was not a sentence that I thought I'd ever type. Michaels' bumping was a tad over the top, but he has the crowd in the palm of his hand. After getting his ass beat for a majority of the match, Michaels puts away Sid with a barrage of superkicks. Decent enough TV bout, although I could of done without Shawn stripping off after the match. 

★★½