Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who might be interested the Wrestling portion of The Gathering of Juggalos 2013 is fairly poor this year in terms of message board favourites here and hold overs from the territories:

Juggalo Championship Wrestling will present Bloodymania 7 featuring Vampiro, Hurricane Helms, Bobby Lashley, Rikishi, Kevin Steen, Paul London, Necro Butcher and more.

If you want to go outside baseball, you'd want to find someone at Football Outsiders. The football equiv of sabermetrics is majority post-Internet, while the majority of the foundation of baseball sabermetrics was pre-Internet and the key concepts were well established (with the exception of defense). So the Football Outsiders wouldn't be a bad place to find someone who has been around since the start of it for some insight.

Cool. Actually, I think Vinny (from F4W) works over at Football Outsiders, so I might reach out to him. I've met him once or twice at Wrestlemania and he's always given me good feedback on my wrestling stats. In fact, he was the guy who introduced me to Gephi which inspired me to create this:

Posted Image

If you want to go outside baseball, you'd want to find someone at Football Outsiders. The football equiv of sabermetrics is majority post-Internet, while the majority of the foundation of baseball sabermetrics was pre-Internet and the key concepts were well established (with the exception of defense). So the Football Outsiders wouldn't be a bad place to find someone who has been around since the start of it for some insight.

Cool. Actually, I think Vinny (from F4W) works over at Football Outsiders, so I might reach out to him. I've met him once or twice at Wrestlemania and he's always given me good feedback on my wrestling stats. In fact, he was the guy who introduced me to Gephi which inspired me to create this:

Posted Image

The guys at Profootballfocus.com are usually very helpful and responsive just in case the FO guys aren't. Also, @fball_andrea (that's her Twitter handle) covers the NFC North for Bleacher Report and is a big wrestling fan. She might be able to connect you w/ someone in the football analytics world that would help you out.

On the basketball side, the folks at @canishoopus or @brittrobson would likely have a good grasp of the history of basketball analytics and also be approachable.

Good luck. Very interesting project.

So, my father has been an on again/off again wrestling fan since the late 60's. He is currently watching, and says he isn't sold on Dean Ambrose. I am going to show him one of the William Regal matches to try and change his mind, but I will likely only get him to watch one of them.

So, in your opinion, which one will do a better job showing him the all around "Dean Ambrose package"

Juggalo Championship Wrestling will present Bloodymania 7 featuring Vampiro, Hurricane Helms, Bobby Lashley, Rikishi, Kevin Steen, Paul London, Necro Butcher and more.

Got the strange urge to see Rikishi work heel against Necro Butcher. Imagine the heat if he gave him the stink face in front of a massive smark crowd.

Got the strange urge to see Rikishi work heel against Necro Butcher. Imagine the heat if he gave him the stink face in front of a massive smark crowd.

I've heard a few wrestlers talk about the experience of working the Gathering of the Juggalos on podcasts, but I was wondering if any posters here have ever been to a JCW show?

I wrote a piece today about Pro Wrestling Analysis (like the stats): http://bit.ly/1aINWuT

This board is probably the closest thing to the clearinghouse on that sort of information right now though it's certainly not solely dedicated to that subject (nor should it be).

This is a very good article, Chris.

If you ever do a refresh of it, you may want to point to sites like on the "data collection" side:

http://www.baseball-reference.com

http://retrosheet.org

The first was started by Sean Forman in the "early" days of internet websites... though for a lot of us, 2000 isn't that early. But at the time, there wasn't a good historical baseball reference site for just basic stats. Sean created that, and a interlinking database to run it. Boom. He has over the years kept adding to it, while also making it rather straight forward and simple.

Sean was a stat-guy from the generation of writers after Bill James, writing/working on one of the annual series that came up after him (not Prospectus but the other).

RetroSheet is the "historians" site, springing up because Ellias doesn't share shit. The goal was to find the equiv of box scores for every game, and create simple things like splits and game logs that we take for granted. Data from the mid-80s on forward was available from various sources, like Project Scoresheet and it's successor STATS. But earlier stuff... a bitch to get it. Heavy labor, the work of a lot of folks. Now one can look that stuff up. In turn, they shared the info with folks like Baseball-Reference.com rather than keep it locked up like Ellias.

We're never going to get *that*. There just isn't enough stuff in old papers, and we're unlikely ever to get inside the WWE archives to fill in everything even for them from the 60s on forward. But as you say, as far as we've come with things like what Graham does with historyofthewwe.com, there's more out there than can be compiled.

It's just a real bitch to do it. :)

I always thought that someone would be this for wrestling

http://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/elo.cgi

I wrote a piece today about Pro Wrestling Analysis (like the stats): http://bit.ly/1aINWuT

This board is probably the closest thing to the clearinghouse on that sort of information right now though it's certainly not solely dedicated to that subject (nor should it be).

If you ever do a refresh of it, you may want to point to sites like on the "data collection" side:

The first was started by Sean Forman in the "early" days of internet websites... though for a lot of us, 2000 isn't that early. But at the time, there wasn't a good historical baseball reference site for just basic stats. Sean created that, and a interlinking database to run it. Boom. He has over the years kept adding to it, while also making it rather straight forward and simple.

Sean was a stat-guy from the generation of writers after Bill James, writing/working on one of the annual series that came up after him (not Prospectus but the other).

RetroSheet is the "historians" site, springing up because Ellias doesn't share shit. The goal was to find the equiv of box scores for every game, and create simple things like splits and game logs that we take for granted. Data from the mid-80s on forward was available from various sources, like Project Scoresheet and it's successor STATS. But earlier stuff... a bitch to get it. Heavy labor, the work of a lot of folks. Now one can look that stuff up. In turn, they shared the info with folks like Baseball-Reference.com rather than keep it locked up like Ellias.

We're never going to get *that*. There just isn't enough stuff in old papers, and we're unlikely ever to get inside the WWE archives to fill in everything even for them from the 60s on forward. But as you say, as far as we've come with things like what Graham does with historyofthewwe.com, there's more out there than can be compiled.

I did.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharringt...wf_elo_rankings

I had the idea to work on it for awhile, but when I got my project funded, I finished the initial version.

There's also shorter ELO entries I did on WWF Tag Teams, SMW, CMLL (2011&2012), AAA (2008-2012).

I did.

https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharringt...wf_elo_rankings

I had the idea to work on it for awhile, but when I got my project funded, I finished the initial version.

There's also shorter ELO entries I did on WWF Tag Teams, SMW, CMLL (2011&2012), AAA (2008-2012).

Very well done. I was talking more about two wrestlers going head-to-head and people getting to vote on who was better, thus making their ELO rating go up or down.

- WWE is still hoping that Stone Cold Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at Wrestlemania 30. If he is cleared and interested, an idea has been pitched. The idea is that Stone Cold would fight Triple H at the PPV for control of the WWE. Austin would represent Vince McMahon.

Credit: The Wrestling Observer

- Here are the latest WWE injury updates on Undertaker, Big Show, Kofi Kingston and Rey Mysterio…

Undertaker: As previously reported, Undertaker is still having shoulder issues and did have surgery following WrestleMania. He will rehab and the plan is for him to come back for his annual WrestleMania run.

Kofi Kingston: Is expected back in two weeks and will join the WWE's tour of Australia. He is recovering from elbow surgery.

Big Show: Scheduled to return on Monday's Raw. Was out due to a knee injury, but was still limping around at the MITB PPV. Show noticeably had lost weight and is looking to drop more.

Rey Mysterio: Currently undergoing stem cell treatment to regenerate his knee ligaments. Mysterio is doing this to avoid major surgery and for him to return in three months.

- WWE is still hoping that Stone Cold Steve Austin will get medical clearance for a match at Wrestlemania 30. If he is cleared and interested, an idea has been pitched. The idea is that Stone Cold would fight Triple H at the PPV for control of the WWE. Austin would represent Vince McMahon.

Just beyond belief. Either Austin has a huge ego and wants his win back from all those years ago, or Trips is a huge mark for himself and thinks he is the top 'dream match' of any returning star. Maybe both.

You're bringing Austin back after eleven years and you have him face the guy he has wrestled a million times already? Why not Cena, Orton, Punk, Lesnar?

Rey should just accept he is done as well, or he is going to become an even bigger wreck. I suppose it is harder for him, because he can't carry on in a non wrestling/special attraction role like others due to the mask.

Just beyond belief. Either Austin has a huge ego and wants his win back from all those years ago, or Trips is a huge mark for himself and thinks he is the top 'dream match' of any returning star. Maybe both.

You're bringing Austin back after eleven years and you have him face the guy he has wrestled a million times already? Why not Cena, Orton, Punk, Lesnar?

Rey should just accept he is done as well, or he is going to become an even bigger wreck. I suppose it is harder for him, because he can't carry on in a non wrestling/special attraction role like others due to the mask.

I agree that the idea of HHH/Austin doesn't seem nearly as interesting as Punk/Austin, Cena/Austin or even someone like ADR/Austin. However, I think the storyline makes some sense and Austin has the ability to be pretty choosy about what he wants to come back for - if he wants to wrestle Triple H, so be it.

Rey Mysterio: Currently undergoing stem cell treatment to regenerate his knee ligaments. Mysterio is doing this to avoid major surgery and for him to return in three months.

The only thing that would really help Rey's knees is reincarnation.

I was talking more about two wrestlers going head-to-head and people getting to vote on who was better, thus making their ELO rating go up or down.

Oh! I understand now. Yes, if I knew how to set up a website so it could store values based on people's voting, the ELO algorithm isn't hard to implement.. I think it would help to have categories though - promos, technical wrestling, brawling, etc.

If I ever get a pro wrestling analytics website off the ground, I will certainly incorporate a X vs Y matchup/voting feature.