Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Let's try this again. I was trying to clean some things up in the last one and accidentally deleted the entire thing.

Reminder: Anything that you anticipate going more than 1-2 posts should be its own thread. I'd prefer for this not to be so big. Thanks.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw is coming to town on Feb. 20 and the wife really wanted to go so I caved and bought tickets. Since I don't follow the current product much any more, I have a question: When do they really kick the angles and hype for Wrestlemania into gear? I see it's on April 1 this year, so is it possible that the Feb. 20 Raw could have the Rock and other high-end stuff since it's the the first show post-Elimination Chamber w/ WM the next PPV on the horizon?

Between Kobashi and Joshi, Japanese wrestling had way too many rolling cradles in the 90s.

Kobashi was the only person of note who did it in All Japan. I can tolerate one person in a fed doing a goofy spot. It actually was a ton of fun when he put Baba in it.

Don't recall anyone in NJPW using it in the same timeframe. Might have been, but it didn't stand point like Kobashi.

If one person of note is going it in the two major feds in a country, I can tolerate it. :)

Joshi is a different beast, but I bet we can think of other spots that got run into the ground worse in joshi. Think dropkicks.

John

Just ordered the latest IWE Chronicles set from Mr. Lynch. This one has a listing for a Verne Gagne-Billy Robinson match from 11/20/79 in Japan. Jeff said it's about 40 minutes with full ring intros and national anthems, the whole shebang.

I had no idea they wrestled after their 1974 series so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

EDIT: I have realized that this could also be their 1974 bout from 11/20 labeled wrong, but there is lots of other decent stuff on that set anyway so no problem if it is. Verne was on tour in the IWE during that part of November in 1979 so it might very well be new.

Just ordered the latest IWE Chronicles set from Mr. Lynch. This one has a listing for a Verne Gagne-Billy Robinson match from 11/20/79 in Japan. Jeff said it's about 40 minutes with full ring intros and national anthems, the whole shebang.

I had no idea they wrestled after their 1974 series so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

EDIT: I have realized that this could also be their 1974 bout from 11/20 labeled wrong, but there is lots of other decent stuff on that set anyway so no problem if it is. Verne was on tour in the IWE during that part of November in 1979 so it might very well be new.

Jeff is wrong on the date. It was the 74 bout. I think this is stuff from Dan and the recent IWE dvd releases.

John

Good on you for having a wife who is more into WWE than you are---my wife humours me from time to time, but essentially she thinks wrestling is juvenile garbage.

My wife is not into wrestling at all. If she was, there's no way I would've married her :)

She really wanted to go to Raw for some reason, though. It'll be fun.

I really need to set up a viewing schedule for myself. I have ECW TV, NWA Hollywood, NWA Anarchy, various years of WCW and SMW TV that I try to squeeze in on a regular basis. Tuesday has kind of become ECW day and Thursday has become NWA Hollywood day. I watch those consistently, I haven't been as good with the others.

Jeff is wrong on the date. It was the 74 bout. I think this is stuff from Dan and the recent IWE dvd releases.

John

Awwwwwwwww. :(

It'll still be fun to watch. I love the old IWE stuff, some real gems have come out of those releases. Some really early career matches of some guys too, like Sgt. Slaughter and the Sheepherders.

This set also has a Bockwinkel-Ashua Hara match I don't think I've seen before.