Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Hulk has certainly done far worse than it, so I won't argue that it's ambitions were a little admirable if not a bit lofty. This kind of project seems like it would have been a Catch-22 because a movie with Hogan in it had maybe a fighting chance of being a success in 86 or 87, but this is also when the company needed him to help eradicate the territories. So in '88 when Savage seems like the guy to carry the ball for awhile, they shoot this and release it the next year when pro wrestling is not the cultural phenomenon it was earlier in the decade.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went back to watch No Holds Barred recently just for nostalgia and my god it's terrible. It's not even "so bad it's good", it's just really, really bad. Hulk Hogan is barely adequate at playing himself. Kurt Fuller was fun as the quasi-Vince McMahon, but that was about it.

I remember Vince being on Letterman promoting it and saying fans would get to see Hulk in new situations "including....romantic situations" with that Vince voice. Letterman laughed and said "do people WANT that?". That's pretty much how I felt about it. The scene at the French restaurant made me yearn to see something of the quality of "Rhinestone".

But I did enjoy both "Ernest Goes to Camp" and "UHF".

I remember Vince being on Letterman promoting it and saying fans would get to see Hulk in new situations "including....romantic situations" with that Vince voice. Letterman laughed and said "do people WANT that?". That's pretty much how I felt about it. The scene at the French restaurant made me yearn to see something of the quality of "Rhinestone".

Was this the last time Letterman ever had anyone on associated with wrestling? They seem to go on Leno, Conan and Kimmel more often than not now.

Another quip about the cast, it's funny how this movie was the only thing I thought of during that one great scene Tiny Lister has in The Dark Knight. I find it somehow endearing that one of the people involved in a couple of the worst angles ended up with bit parts in bigger movies.

Everything about Ring of Honor is bush league. They have regressed a lot in the last seven years. They were incredible in 2005. In 2012 they're unwatchable. It's pretty surreal. It's not just the roster either they just never move forward with ANYTHING. Wrestling, production, sound, lighting, commentating...it never improves anywhere. Just look at all the repeated iPPV mistakes that happened month after month. They're a joke.

Probably the only forum this hasn't been posted on:

A bunch of ROH wrestlers have shown discontent with Sinclair/ROH today on Twitter mostly in a cryptic or low key way.

This was the first time I have seen the link but man, I think a shit storm is definitely brewing. Now I suddenly have an urge to follow a bunch of ROH guys on Twitter and read all the message forums to find out what all is going down. That's the most interest I have had in ROH in about six years...

Glad to know that it isn't just the fans not at the live events noticing how ridiculous ROH has gotten.

Should we have a Ring of Honor impending drama bomb megathread maybe? I'm not sure if we have enough activity for it around these parts. But between the Mark Madden columns, the Kenny King situation, the linked video, the iPPV problems, the Sinclair statement and rumored Jim Cornette animosity the writing seems to be on the wall.

Sigh, learn from the lessons of TNA (10 years+ of they'll die any minute) & WCW before them ppl.

No matter how shitty the product may get, no matter how disgruntled the wrestlers may be, no matter how few fans attend the shows, money mark feds don't die until the money mark wants them to/tv station pulls the plug.

For every Kenny King there's a guy happy to take his spot and so long as Sinclare is happy with the ratings the being delivered by programing they're paying to produce then ROH will continue on in some form.

Should we have a Ring of Honor impending drama bomb megathread maybe? I'm not sure if we have enough activity for it around these parts. But between the Mark Madden columns, the Kenny King situation, the linked video, the iPPV problems, the Sinclair statement and rumored Jim Cornette animosity the writing seems to be on the wall.

I thought they would be dead and buried two years after the tv show debuted for Sinclair. We're not even a year in and it's fallen apart even more than I thought it would.

Sigh, learn from the lessons of TNA (10 years+ of they'll die any minute) & WCW before them ppl.

No matter how shitty the product may get, no matter how disgruntled the wrestlers may be, no matter how few fans attend the shows, money mark feds don't die until the money mark wants them to/tv station pulls the plug.

For every Kenny King there's a guy happy to take his spot and so long as Sinclare is happy with the ratings the being delivered by programing they're paying to produce then ROH will continue on in some form.

They've been a huge failure in every Sinclair market they've tried to run live shows in. They need 750 fans to break even on live shows and they do half of that for most of the new markets they run in. Sinclair also started tightening the budget really soon after the tv show started. I also question the commitment level that Sinclair actually has and what the finances of RoH looked like before they were sold. I tend to think Silken got out because he was tired of pouring money into a sinkhole.

Start it

I tend to think Silken got out because he was tired of pouring money into a sinkhole.

On that point he allready went on record saying just as much. To keep the company going he was having to use the profits from his other business

I watched the Aries/Roode segment on the last Impact. Wow, Aries looked like a legit star and I think they might actually be on to something with him if they have the guts to put the belt on him tonight. It's amazing to me, TNA was dead to me and it seems like the show is suddenly really good all of a sudden as they're bringing in all this new talent.