Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-07-USWA-Monday Night Memories] Jerry Lawler vs Jimmy Valiant vs Brian Christopher vs Austin Idol vs Terry Funk vs Tommy Rich vs Moondog Spot vs Koko B. Ware vs Eddie Gilbert vs Doug Gilbert (Elimination)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Brian Christopher was really awesome in this match, and worked the bulk of it on the babyface side. The match really heated up when Lawler/Christopher vs Eddie/Funk/Koko was what was left. Gilbert stayed out of the ring until the very end, but did mic spots throughout to build heat. Funk and Lawler had some great stuff, including lots of pseudo-boxing spots. I wanted this to be a lost classic. It's not. But it is lots of fun and it's just about the most Memphisy thing that ever Memphised a Memphis.

• 2 weeks later...

This felt like a elimination tag match. Don't know why they just didn't officially make that match that way. For this many guys involved to separate the heels and faces from facing each other took away from the match for me. Had it's moments but I just expected more going into this match.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Christopher was an excellent FIP in this. Funk was hysterical throughout the entire match conspiring with Eddie Gilbert on the apron early on, assisting in Koko's cheating tactics, and hiding under the ring to help Eddie in the last minutes. I loved how he was eliminated as he must have forgotten that the piledriver was banned in Tennessee. This whole match is Memphis as hell which I love and it's lots of fun. Don't count on it being a classic but it's a novelty and the epitome of Memphis wrestling.

This match was as memphis as BBQ but went on for too long and took to long to really start rolling due to the weird 10 man elimination rules. Everyone still looked relatively good and Funk was great as always. Overall a slight disappointment but real glad I got to see it as it felt in some ones the final stand of glory days of the 1980's

• 1 year later...

LANCE RUSSELL! All is right with the world, or at least in West Tennessee. DAVE BROWN is in the arena tonight! Prowrestlinghistory says this show drew 8,377 at a time when 1,000 was considered a good MSC gate. Pretty much the last gasp of Memphis as a territory with any clout, even though they're still years away from the end. Tommy Rich looks almost as big as Moondog Spot. This is based around stalling and chain play, but goddammit, it wouldn't be Memphis otherwise. Spot is eliminated, and Lance busts out the Lady Macbeth line, "Out, out, damned Spot!" which is possibly the Line of the Year so far. Lance hasn't missed a beat--I don't know if he was back on WMC yet but he's referencing recent TV events, drawing on historical events like Funk's eye injury, and seamlessly tossing things to Corey & Dave. With '94 being what it is, I should just give him the Best TV Announcer award right now. I also love that the shards of Billy Joe Travis' broken guitar are still laying at ringside and play a role in the match as weapons. Not really a great match, but a fun one with great announcing. Afterwards Lawler is handcuffed to the corner and Funk attempts to pay Lawler back for 1981 by shoving the bottom of a stool into his eye.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-07-USWA-Monday Night Memories] Jerry Lawler vs Jimmy Valiant vs Brian Christopher vs Austin Idol vs Terry Funk vs Tommy Rich vs Moondog Spot vs Koko B. Ware vs Eddie Gilbert vs Doug Gilbert (Elimination)