Pro Wrestling Only

The Four Horsemen in the JCP era

Jkeats

- Arn promises that Ole will be back from injury in time to defend the National tag titles within the 30 days, pretty sure he's wrong on that.

- Awesome Flair promo where he has a radio playing "The Wanderer" before claiming he's going to get off with Raquel Welch. I'm sure he mentions Raquel Welch in his book or on the 12-hour shoot intereview somewhere.

- Could watch Arn Anderson jobber matches all day long. The beef with Baby Doll is an interesting little sub-story. Dusty Rhodes looks about 400lbs in jeans and lumberjack top.

- Flair sporting an interesting shirt-jumper combo PLUS suit jacket number. I might bring that back when September comes around with the Top Gun shades and gold chain.

- Arn is pretty pissed off A LOT around this time. Then his prick heel smugness and laughter at the ruling against Dusty Rhodes's steel boot is absolutely awesome. Then David Crockett gets in his face about it. I absolutely love this 80s JCP product, absolutely LOVE it. Crockett makes fun of Flair in the next segment as they show Garvin laying him out with his own show. "What happened Ric, did you slip?". Ha ha. Flair: "Tony Schiavone, you tell your wife I said hello brother, wooo".

- JJ Dillon compares Baby Doll to a "Brontosaurus Rex". I'm not an expert in Dinosaurs but I'm pretty sure he's wrong on at least three levels there. A random girl from the crowd comes and gets off with Tully Blanchard. Flair: "I might even consider that blonde for Space Mountain sometimes".

- Arn and Tully tagging now, against The Italian Stallion and Don Kernodle. Man, Kernodle has sure slipped down the card since the glory days of Final Conflict. David Crockett seems really on Tully's back, as always. He didn't like any heels, but he ESPECIALLY HATED Tully, for some reason. Faces look pretty good here. Awesome spot where Kernodle catches Tully coming from the top and powerslams him, double gordbuster on the Stallion to finish. At least a ***

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Arn and Flair vs. Stallion and Kernodle and heels a lot more dominant. Kick the shit out of Stallion. Awesome double chop at one point. Unhappy with Kernodle here because he tags out after less than a minute after a beaten-up Stallion tagged him in -- he was the fresh man, why tag out?! Easy win for the Horsemen. Faces got nothing here.

- Arn vs. Bill Mulkey, the ultimate wimpy wimp. Anyone play the Punch Out!! games, this dude is probably worse than Glass-eye Joe or Gabby Jay from the sequel. Arn: "this is your one shot at stardust right here". Massive right hand from Mulkey!! Arn is pissed. Jawing the fans. Viscous shots on Mulkey, playing with him almost. Crowd wants Arn to break Mulkey's arm, ha ha ha. Massive powerslam. Gordbuster. Cocky pin. Best Arn jobber match yet.

- JJ Dillon is so awesomely smarmy around this time. Seems to me that he's more the manager of Tully in Jan-Feb 86 than of all four Horsemen. "Tully Blanchard Enterprises"

- Arn really was the working champ, taking on Sam Houston now, who had not long won the Mid-Atlantic title back from Krushev. Arn is FIERCE in this time frame, an extra notch of aggression from him. Houston is one of those guys who just never seems to fill out, still looks 18 -- reckon Baby Doll had a schoolboy fetish. Match suffers when Houston is on offense. Very lame "Let's got Saaa-am, let's go" chant breaks out, sounds like there are a lot of kids in the crowd. Arn NAILS Houston in the gut. Injures Houston's arm which they broke last year, who sells it like a total pro. This chant could not sound any gayer.

- Anyone got any info on Mike Jackson? He doesn't look like your typical jobber, seems like he'll have some interesting history judging by greying beard and custom-tights with "MJ" inscription -- looks a bit like how I'd imagine David Crockett to look as a wrestler. Cursory google search not much help. Got a reasonable about of token offense in during this match -- more than in your average SD Jones match. Never get tired of seeing the slingshot suplex.

- Oooohhhhh, debut of the BIG GOLD BELT. Wow. "$40,000 of 24 carat gold." Noticed they spelt Flair's name on the plaque with a "k": "Rick Flair". Pretty awesome to see this.

- Anyone got any info on Mike Jackson? He doesn't look like your typical jobber, seems like he'll have some interesting history judging by greying beard and custom-tights with "MJ" inscription -- looks a bit like how I'd imagine David Crockett to look as a wrestler. Cursory google search not much help. Got a reasonable about of token offense in during this match -- more than in your average SD Jones match. Never get tired of seeing the slingshot suplex.

Mike Jackson is probably the best jobber of the 80s. If you ever get around to watching 84 Mid South TV, he's all over the place and is super solid.

I saw Mike Jackson live a lot in the early 90s. He would do things like planchas and pescados at the county fair. He had/has a United States Junior Heavyweight belt he defended at shows, in addition to the Alabama Junior belt.

Watching his stuff from both GCW and NWA and he was a damn good wrestler. If he had been even a little taller, I think he would of been a star.

- Flair comes out for a stint on colour for Arn Anderson vs. Denny Brown. Flair is TREMENDOUS here - consistently puts over Denny Brown as being a really impressive athlete, puts over his Junior Heavyweight title as a big deal, and refers to Arn's TV title as "in my opinion the second most important singles title". Love it when Flair is in this sort of mode. Really gets over the match as a legit contest, "two great athletes competing at the highest level possible" and puts over the product in general.

SO,

I e-mailed JJ Dillon off his website on a whim in order to see his thoughts on the "Was Tully In On It?" question, and we now have a DEFINITIVE answer. Also, JJ is awesome for responding.

To answer your question, Tully was not part of any plan designed to dump Baby Doll. It was more a case of me seeing an opportunity to possibly become Tully's exclusive representative. It was a risky move on my part. I took advantage of the fact that it was around the holidays and Baby Doll had been away for a few days. Tully questioned Baby Doll's absence and she said that I had given her the plane ticket for a trip on behalf of Tully. I suddenly show up and deny any knowledge of what she is talking about and imply that maybe she was fooling around on Tully and using me to cover her tracks. Tully never questioned my denial and Tully reacted in typical male fashion and became aggressive with Baby Doll. Suddenly Dusty was there to come to her rescue. Within a matter of minutes Dusty and Tully were at each others throats. Baby Doll was now with Dusty and I was there by Tully's side and we were off and running doing big business. At that point exactly how we got to where we were at that moment no longer seemed important and it made for compelling television because it wasn't predictable and shocked everyone. It helped establish me as a shrewd manager and everyone felt sorry for Baby Doll as it became obvious that she had been used as a pawn to further my interests. Tully was still Tully in that Baby Doll was just one of many women that he had his choice of. Tully's frustration was because something that was once his was now clinging to Dusty. It was a simple story that everyone could relate to. It was a time in the profession where it seemed that everything we did translated to big business. We had a lengthy successful run and I suppose that is why the WWE thought we were worthy of HOF recognition. It was a great time in the business for us and for the fans. Thanks for your interest and I hope my explanation makes sense to you.

• 5 years later...

Finally been making my way through Will's Four Horsemen comp and i'm loving it so far. I'm just at the point where Tully go rid of Baby Doll and JJ Dillon is now with him.

One interesting tidbit was on the 01/16/86 Atlanta house show match between Flair/Garvin, Flair had the big gold belt around his waist. As i don't think it debuted on TV until Battle Of The Belts II. Was just interesting to see him wearing it here.

I listened to the Horsemen episode of what happened when last week and they plugged a book that came out last year on the podcast and I bought it myself this week;

51b5YOd5cgL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a really good book. Some nice photos and it gives a history of the horsemen with month by month reports of what happened and their general history year by ye