Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-09-NJPW-Summer Struggle] Riki Choshu & Tatsumi Fujinami & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Shinya Hashimoto & Keiji Muto & Hiroshi Hase

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

A big star six man tag which totally delivers. Starts out a bit slow, but it kicks in gear when our man Fujiwara tags in, he has great exchanges with both Hashimoto and Hase. A great strike exchange with Hashimoto, with Fujiwara landing nasty chops to the neck and Hash laying in kicks. Super cool spot with Hase catching a Fujiwara headbutt and turning it into a uranage. Finish is totally awesome, Hase hits his giant swing on Fujinami , but it makes him dizzy so he stumbles into a Riki lariat. From there you have a big run of moves with everyone hitting their signature stuff, until finally the 80’s stars get triple submissions and the win, The old guys team is totally awesome and I need to see more of them.

• 1 month later...

Very good match. A billion stars just for Choshu cutting off Muto's running lariat on the entrance ramp! It's about time! I don't even care that the camera missed it, it happened and that's good enough for me. Fujiwara as headbutt guy is one I can get behind, and I like him in this context -- showing a little fire and choking Hashimoto out. I don't yet appreciate him in a GOAT candidate way, but he's fun enough, and he's the bright spot in this match. The triple submissions with the old guys all in the advantageous position was tremendous. Even though this all feels a little anti-climatic coming on the heels of the red hot Tenryu vs New Japan feud, it's still a perfectly good way to kill the time, and something that's absolutely worth watching. They cut a really good pace and everyone shows off their best stuff.

Big names involved in this match. Fujiwara avoids the big swing ride. Mutoh wiffs on his entrance ramp move. I’m thinking about how great Fujiwara’s headbutts are and he promptly gets nailed with a Uranage by Hase. Hash kicks the hell out of him and plants him with a DDT. Submissions all around. Hash breaks them all up but only for a few seconds. Good match between these sides.

• 2 weeks later...

The old man team is fucking great. Fujiwara is tremendously awesome in this. Choshu and Hash were really great in this as well. I enjoyed the leg work on Hase too. He sold it very well. The finish was fun too with Hash, Muto, and Hase all in submissions with Hase submitting in the end. This was lots of fun.

• 1 year later...

The triple-submission was a neat finish, but I can't help but think AJPW did the same thing except it was much cooler because it was the young folks putting the screws to Jumbo's team. Still, this was a really fun look at the old guys putting the young'uns in their place. Much, much more fulfilling than the Steiners match the night before, naturally.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-09-NJPW-Summer Struggle] Riki Choshu & Tatsumi Fujinami & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Shinya Hashimoto & Keiji Muto & Hiroshi Hase