Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck / Interview: Dusty Rhodes

Loss

• 2 months later...

Another good match between these two. This is an odd WCW Saturday Night taping from the Worldwide Arena. Dustin/Buck is the main event after interactive voting. Dustin has his arm in a cast, still selling the injury from the Bash at the Beach post-match, and Buck works it over. The Stud Stable tries to get froggy with Dustin after the match and Dusty jumps.

Dusty closes us out with a hot promo.

Nice little TV match with Bunk working the arm and Dustin going after the leg. Good chemistry between the two. Tony points out that Dusty and Dustin have never tagged together outside of Japan. Post match action with Dusty hitting Elbows. Another pull apart with Dusty and Meng who continues to look strong. Gene after all this talks about not needing to get on Hogan’s bandwagon and Heenan tells him to shut up. Go Bobby!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good little hate filled TV match. Dustin works over Buck's leg and Buck works over Dustin's arm. Buck really knows how to work nasty and hate filled matches. He has some cool intricacies that make him unique. There's a fun pull apart brawl afterwards and Dusty cuts an awesome promo too calling Meng and the Stud Stable members errand boys for Col. Parker. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

…WCW in ’94 never quite captured the feel for whatever reason (erratic color palate for one), but as far as booking and talent and performance is concerned this is all right out of NWA-JCP’s heyday. This whole segment and this whole feud feels like 1986.

….Dusty Rhodes quotes Apocalypse Now, “Are you an assassin? Or are you an errand boy?” Fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I still don't see anything particulary good about this feud. I have seen countless Dustin vs Buck matches at this point, from Saturday Nights, Worlwide, Main Event, PPV's, and apart from the first über bloody gimmick match, nothing was really good. Not really bad either, just there. Jimmy Golden just is a very boring and mediocre worker. Nope, this doesn't do anything for me. Buck sell his leg for, well, he doesn't sell it for a second after he goes back on offense, and I find his kick/punch offense really mundane and unengaging, as is his whole character. Why wasn't Terry Funk working more at this point ? I could live without watching another Jimmy Golden match, bored me everywhere I've seen him, and it's pretty telling that the only match that looked special was all gimmick and blood, and a fantastic performance from Dustin.

• 1 year later...

Another good match between these two--not as good as the gimmick matches but serviceable for a TV main event. Buck is better as a punching bag than he is on offense, but Dustin's broken arm gives him a nice little target to focus on. REALLY awesome post-match scrum--I loved Arn coming on-screen out of nowhere and the post-match confrontation between Dusty and Meng amidst a sea of babyfaces was cool, too. Loved the shaky camera seemingly caught in the middle of it, and Meng apparently trying to headbutt the lens.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-06-WCW-Saturday Night] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck / Interview: Dusty Rhodes