Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Cactus Jack and Evad Sullivan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Cactus and Sullivan are no longer teaming. Cactus' promo style (or wrestling style) no longer fits in with where WCW was going, so I think he made a good move by leaving.

Dave is out and begs him not to stop teaming with his brother. He won't drop the issue and gets DDTd on the floor.

I'm a little confused by this, because you'd expect Cactus to be the babyface since Sullivan will be going into a feud with Hogan.

I'm a little confused by this, because you'd expect Cactus to be the babyface since Sullivan will be going into a feud with Hogan

Cactus wants to break up post losing the titles.

Evad wants them to stay together and gets beat up for his troubles.

Kevin sticks up for his brother & feuds w Cactus leading to him running Cactus out of WCW.

Evad & Kevin stay together but Evad becoming a Hogan worshiper pisses Kevin off leading to Kevin's turn, 3 Faces of fear, Dungeon of Doom, etc...

so I think he made a good move by leaving.

Was curious about this since the memory was fuzzy in my head so I re-read a few chapters in Foley's 1st book that covered this period.

Funny to think he'd given his notice about leaving 3-4 months earlier, they agreed, didn't try to resign him and then they put the tag belts on him shortly afterwards.

Interesting tidbit was that he didn't want to do the first match vs Sabu in ECW until after his contract was up because he thought he could get a lot of money shoping the match around to diffrent promoters but he got forced into doing it because of the deal WCW had with ECW at the time.

Said WCW was originally gonna let him out of his contract a month early with full pay with the condition he came back for 1 last match with Sullivan at the PPV. The angle to turn him heel was Flair's idea tho because Turner gave WCW more tv time to fill because baseball was on strike. He originally didn't want to do the turn because it would fuck up his merch potential on the indies if he was a heel but Rip Rogers convinced him it'd be okay because Kevin was unsympathetic and Dave, while likeable, was a crappy enough worker that the fans would still chose Cactus over him anyways.

I think Cactus is totally in the right here. Dave Sullivan kept putting his hands on Cactus is a pretty aggressive manner. DDT on the floor was warranted. And even though he teased it, he didn't go after Sullivan's leg. I had not remembered Cactus still being in WCW at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Very good promo from Cactus. I really enjoyed his whole stint with Sullivan, and here he ties their history together dating back to 1989, which is nice and typical of Cactus. Dave Sullivan doesn't look like he works in the same promotion, with his goofball character and Hulkster T-shirt. Yep, Cactus made the right move.

• 1 year later...

Cactus recites his past history with Sullivan in a neat little footnote to this angle, before amicably breaking up the team. But that isn't good enough for Evad, who badgers him about first breaking the team up and then speaking bad of Kevin when he's not here. He calls Cactus the wrong name and then grabs him, so Cactus responds with a DDT on the floor. Jesus, Cactus was trying to play it peaceful--Evad brought that whole thing on himself because he's an annoying little shit. He's already starting the "#1 Hulkamaniac" stuff, too. He and Cactus are in different worlds.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Cactus Jack and Evad Sullivan