Pro Wrestling Only

Guys who should never turn

med2089

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, he almost never gets booed at house shows, which kind of proves my point.

Cena isn't the sole or even the primary cause of the WWE's current issues. But it's undeniable that a significant portion of the audience has a viscerally negative reaction to him. Whether that reaction is warranted or not is immaterial. And nobody the WWE has offered up recently to appeal to that audience has clicked.

Actually, he almost never gets booed at house shows, which kind of proves my point.

Cena isn't the sole or even the primary cause of the WWE's current issues. But it's undeniable that a significant portion of the audience has a viscerally negative reaction to him. Whether that reaction is warranted or not is immaterial. And nobody the WWE has offered up recently to appeal to that audience has clicked.

Pretty sure the anti Cena fans are still attending house shows but a big part of the whole booing gimmick is it is a tv gimmick. It's almost like a Pavlovian response at this point. Similar to when fans would chant "You Suck" at Kurt Angle, just for the hell of it. It's the "fun" thing to do at tv tapings. House shows? Not as much.

Cena was overwhelmingly booed at a house show I went to a few years ago.

Booing Cena is no gimmick. A good portion of fans do not like him and they also happen to be the loudest. Anytime his image appeared on WM weekend events/shows I went to he was booed with Cena Sucks chants following. Even in lines, Cena Sucks chants broke out. Please do not try to rewrite history here. I think if anything he's benefitted from alot of the hardcore fans giving up on wrestling, and let me tell you, even my most hardcore friends are barely into it now. He may also benefit since families and kids are more likely to attend house shows than major events due to pricing.

From 3-9 in Toronto:

John Cena defeated Kane in a Last Man Standing match. This was pretty good and went just about the right amount of time. There were dueling chants of "Let's Go Cena" and "Cena Sucks" and he worked hard as always. He gave Kane an Attitude Adjustment through a table and Kane was sitting up at ten but it was too late.

From 3-16 in Montreal:

John Cena vs Kane, Last Man Standing

Mixed reaction for Cena, but a lot more cheers than during the video package. Biggest reaction so far, not biggest pop though, Santino has still the lead. Loud "Let's go Cena, Cena sucks" dual chants. They brawl to the outside, Cena gives a chair shot on Kane's back, Kane throws Cena in the steel steps, then back in the ring, he hits Cena with the bell and then with the mike. He chokeslams Cena for a 9 count. Kane goes for a table, back in the ring Cena back supplex Kane and tries his 5 knuckles shuffle but gets countered and thrown through a table in the corner. They bring another table, Cena reverses and hits the Attitude Adjustment through the second table for the win. The crowd pop more for the finish than during the match or the entrance.

From 4-12 in Poland:

7th Match:

Last Man Standing

John Cena def. Kane

Cena came out to a typical John Cena Mixed Reaction. Kane was beating down Cena with chairs, hit him with a microphone and threw him into the steps. When none of that worked - he grabbed a table from underneath the ring and threw Cena through it. After Cena got up at 9, Kane got a second table and set it up in the middle of the ring. Kane tried to chokeslam him throught the table, but Cena reversed it into the Attitude Adjustement throught the table. Kane tried to get up, but collapsed at 9. Match felt like it was very by the numbers - no playing to the crowd, and it felt like there was no improvisation at all - just the entire match planned out spot by spot earlier. Cena also stayed at ringside with the fans for a surprisingly short amount of time.

So yeah, Cena is still getting booed at house shows.

What I thought. I know I'm repeating myself here, but I think what's happening in regards to this, is that Cena is the face of the "PG era" and antithesis to the much-revered Attitude era by the "Cena sucks" contingent. It's the price WWE has to pay now for taking such a sharp turn away from the edgier product that was produced a decade or so ago. Whoever it is that ends up taking John's spot won't have that stigma attached likely because that segment of the audience will have dwindled down considerably.

He may also benefit since families and kids are more likely to attend house shows than major events due to pricing.

Yeah, this is more Meltzer's usual argument, not so much that adults/anti Cena fans don't go to house shows but that more kids/pro Cena fans do.

Dave discussed the phenomenon in exhaustive detail in the 9/29/08 Observer. A few snippets:

For all people are saying about WWE not connecting with the youth, my experience, and going to a live show bears this out, is the youth is all they are really connecting with. Raw is still among the higher rated shows among teenage males–at times this summer among the top five in broadcast or cable, an audience Smackdown also does well with. Go to the arena. It’s filled with kids and teenagers. Who are the people no longer attending? It’s the adult males who, according to TV ratings, are still watching the shows, and even older people.

John Cena, on the other hand, he fills arenas with kids and teenagers, and for some reason, runs off people who are older. Do they see him as a poser? Do they not respect him and see him as an artificial star? I don’t know. The reason people boo him less is not because he’s won people over, but because the audience that booed him stopped coming, and was replaced by an audience that saw him as the biggest star. But the point is, all that heat there used to be at his matches with the cheering and booing that everyone thought was good, was both good and bad, particularly if those booing aren’t coming back.

The average TV viewer is 36 of Raw, yet if you go to an arena, you see very few people over the age of 36. Ten years ago that wasn’t the case.

Since then, numbers have only gotten worse across the board.

The thing that boggles me about this is that there still is an audience that boos Cena, dwindling or not it's still there. And it's not just in places like Miami or Chicago where he was placed directly against hometown favorites.

Why is that hard to understand? There's still a sizable group of fans who like wrestling in general, are willing to go to the shows, but simply don't like Cena.

I know that, but I was more or less referring to Meltzer's logic that Cena single-handedly eliminated that segment of the audience when it's quite clear they still come. It would be interesting if there was a comparison of how many 18-30 year old single males attended shows in the late 90's when the Attitude era was booming and now, same for children and their parents/guardians/whatever. There might be a bit of a drop in the former now, but I'm going to guess not as much.

• 8 months later...

Cena could get a unanonimous crowd reaction if he followed a few steps:

1) Tighten up his moves - It's not even his wrestling ability, which is debatable. It's how he performs his moves. I can count on one hand the number of times he has correctly applied the STF in the last 9 years.

Huh? Cena would get booed less if he was working tighter.

He has been booed opposite loose HBK, Angle, HHH, Edge, Punk and Jericho.

On the other hand, He was cheered opposite JBL, Umaga, and Lesnar.

Maybe it isn't him who needs to tighten up his moves, maybe he needs stiffer opponents.