Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-02-03-USWA-Championship Sports] Kerry Von Erich and The Soul Taker

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Kerry Von Erich has a red Oldsmobile cutoff t-shirt and a matching hat! It's Kerry Von Erich's birthday, and Percy wishes him well. He somehow gives off the impression that he has landed a sponsorship deal with Oldsmobile and calls Percy Pringle Marc Lowrance. Percy corrects him and he apologies, saying they look alike. WTF? He points out that the Texas title belongs "to me" and "to us". He says the Soultaker likes to watch his matches from dark corners not letting him know he's there, but he's no steppingstone. Someone HAS to transcribe this at some point.

The Soultaker is out to interrupt and Kerry continues incoherently rambling. Soultaker clotheslines Kerry while he's taking off his shirt, lays Kerry out and walks away.

On one hand this is sad, on the other this is the worst and most unintentionally funny promo I have ever seen. Kerry calls him Marc not once but again when the Soul taker comes out. Kerry knows that Soul Taker watches him in dark corners but he doesn't let kerry know he is there. WTF. Kerry gets laid out. This promo should be a youtube sensation up there with the Jeff Farmer promo debacle.

Yeah, okay if he makes the mistake once to but to call Percy the wrong name again later was pretty bad. Found this promo to just be sad. It's Von Erich's birthday and he jokes he is still 19 which a weird thing for a 30 year old guy to say. He probably wishes he really was that age but I guess that is understandable for all the things that have happened over the years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This promo was just bad and sad in a way. The woman singing Happy Birth to Kerry off camera was funny. Percy was bad in this too. He watches Soultaker clothesline Kerry and says over the mic "I wish I could do something to help". Just a trainwreck of a segment.

• 1 year later...

This wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The "I'm 19" stuff was clearly meant to be a joke, calling Percy "Marc" was an honest fluff (at least the first time) and it sounds like Kerry's just repeating what Soultaker said earlier about "standing in the dark corners" and such.

The moment of the piece for me was when Kerry stopped in the middle and somewhat shyly said, "Sometimes I don't feel worthy of this". That's plenty sad, because you get the feeling that he's speaking as Kerry Adkisson, not the Modern Day Warrior, for just a second.

I like Percy, but he's no play-by-play guy/host. Was Frank Dusek gone by now?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Percy Pringle wants to wish Kerry a ‘Happy Birthday’ on behalf of the USWA, the fans and himself. Kerry calls Pringle ‘Marc’ before correcting himself (‘you look like Marc sometimes’, yeah come on!). He says that the Soultaker has come in and talked about taking down all the Von Erichs. He’s no-ones stepping stone, and when the Soultaker stands in the back watching his matches, it proves he’s a coward. He challenges him to face him now and the Soultaker comes out. Kerry says that he’s the biggest individual he’s ever been against, and if he’s looking for trouble, he’s found it. Kerry takes off his cap and while he’s taking off his T-Shirt, Soultaker levels him with a clothesline before hitting him with some lousy looking punches and kicks whilst a pathetic sounding Pringle watches on and whines ‘I wish I could help’.

Soultaker has got a look that’s for sure, but he’s ungodly green at this point.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-03-USWA-Championship Sports] Kerry Von Erich and The Soul Taker