Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

It's CYA time! Jim Ross announces that the Horsemen have attacked Sting in a parking lot and given him a knee injury. Details are sketchy, and they'll have an update the next night on TBS. Of course they knew Sting wouldn't be able to have the match at this point, but why not try to milk it an extra day for a rating, right?

Ross goes into quasi-Owen Voice mode. Sting suffered "somewhat" of a knee injury Tuesday--yeah. The Horsemen capitalized and injured him away from the ring. Thanks to Flair actually promising an attack away from the ring at the Clash, this doesn't quite reek of as much of a CYA job as "Dusty attacked Ronnie Garvin in a hotel parking lot and put him out of wrestling," or "Lenny Lane lost the Cruiserweight title to Psicosis in Bumblefuck, Colorado."

• 2 weeks later...

I guess they couldn't really say "Sting injured his knee slipping off the cage," so as far as covering your ass goes, this is as good an excuse as any. Can't really be portraying the future of the company as clumsy or weak. Still, they probably should have taped something backstage that they could have shown either here or on WCW (unless they DID tape something and I just haven't seen it yet) just to make it look better, since most of the fans who watched the Clash could tell how he was injured.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This wasn't too bad. I like how they mentioned that Sting had hurt his leg beforehand, which made the Horsemen seem even more vicious and cruel because they attacked someone who was already injured. If you had to have a Horsemen heel turn at the Clash (and I'm not convinced at all that it couldn't have waited until the following Saturday night), this was the way to take further advantage of it.

• 11 months later...

A very solemn JR tells us about Sting's injury. I was hoping for some grainy video footage but it was not meant to be.

Haha this would have been great! A blown opportunity.

JR's voice got me and I was thinking this was going to be some kind of thing with the Von Erichs or something (I had watched the Kerry Oldsmobile shirt promo prior and that's what was on my mind)

• 1 year later...

Jim Ross is in serious mode and interrupts the program for a special report. He announces that although details are sketchy, they’ve just been informed that the Four Horsemen have attacked Sting away from the wrestling ring. Unbeknownst to many, they hurt his leg at the Clash of the Champions and whilst Sting didn’t complain about it, it was known about in the locker room that he suffered some sort of knee injury. The Horsemen somehow found out about that and attacked him once again. Sting has been taken to the hospital by ambulance and he promises that he will have an update on his condition before they go off air on tomorrow night’s World Championship Wrestling. Nothing like a good ratings ploy!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-02-09-NWA-Power Hour] Sting has been attacked