Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-03-02-Hamada's UWF] Perro Aguayo vs Gran Hamada

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

There's a real snap and conviction behind everything Perro does. You watch him work and get why he's such a big star. His strikes look brutal. Hamada looks excellent too, and I dig the high flying vs ground attack style they're working here. A REF BUMP? IN A LUCHA LIBRE JAPANESE PROMOTION? Perro takes the first fall because of Hamada getting DQd for accidentally dropkicking the referee. Well, that was a lousy finish.

Perro completely dominates the second fall and pins Hamada after a double stomp from the top rope. Perro is still attacking him after the match and I don't know why. He was the aggressor almost the entire match.

This was very disappointing, in spite of some good stuff. That first fall finish just killed this. Still, I want to see the rematch in June.

I really like Aguayo working as a monster heel, and Hamada provided just the right amount of hit-and-run offense. That said, the first fall finish was a mess...actually, until reading this thread I thought it was a DQ and then a restart. Final finish was a bit anticlimactic with Aguayo just sort of methodically beating Hamada into the ground before finishing with the top-rope double stomp. Aaand there was a lot of meandering outside the ring.

That said, I did enjoy this even if could have been pruned by 5-7 minutes. I don't get the purpose of the 2/3 falls stip at all, but this was a fun showcase of all the cool shit Aguayo could do, at least with the right opponent. I have pretty high hopes for the rematch.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt get into this very much. Weird flow to the match and the ref bump disaster was distracting. I did like Perro being a huge dick with responding to every flurry of offense with a swift kicks to the head and lifting the bleachers and hurling it towards the Japanese fans. Hamada is someone that his spots always look good and this may be controversial but I am still awaiting a blow away great match from him.

• 1 month later...

We get some one camera only going into the crowd brawling. Hamada tries to keep in the ring. Ref bump is goofy with Aguayo having to change his angle in an attempt to make it seem like he was going to clothesline ref. Hamada dropkicks the ref so we get a disqualification. Match continues though as another fall. Attitude Adjustment by Aguayo. His punches sound pretty good. I wouldn’t waste my time trying to back body drop Hamada. Aguayo ends up destroying Hamada for the victory. It was more interesting when they were in the ring and stayed away from the outside brawling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I couldn't really get into this one. Perro taking a fall from the ref bump DQ didn't really bother me too much, but I thought it was unnecessary and making this a one fall match would have been better. This match was very one-sided and had some unexciting brawling. The last minute or so was interesting and was the only part of this match that I really got into.

• 1 year later...

The biggest takeaway I have from this match is that the crowd was still as dead as in the other bout we saw from this card. It was basically a showcase for Perro's blend of skill and rulebreaking, and I'm honestly surprised that Hamada would book himself to not only lose two straight falls, but to look so weak doing it. Maybe that's why we don't see too much more from this promotion. These two bouts were interesting as snapshots of something different, though.

• 11 months later...

Aguayo looked huge here, I liked the spot on the first fall when they're brawling in the crowd and you can't really see anything until a row of chairs pops up and crashes down on Hamada. I always like a ground game vs high flyer story, but with the confusion of the ref bump, me not knowing if it was a 2/3 falls match, the dead crowd, and hand held camera it didn't hold my attention too well.

• 1 year later...

Okay, so I wanted this to be as awesome as it should be. Only the crowd SUCKED. Seriously, nobody made a peep despite Perro absolutely mauling Hamada. Looked to me like Perro got pissed at the crowd. Throwng the chairs at them was a nice touch, almost Hansen-esque. Then we get the shitty first fall finish. Oh aand the crowd reacted the biggest they do all match to the ref getting kicked in the face. Fuck you. Apparently Hamada has no idea that finish is coming..or the ref because he started giving Hamada a 5 count on a chinlock? Fuck me, this crowd got killed by that finish too and Perro is doing everything he can to drag a reaction out of them. Including stealing a beer bottle and bashing Hamada over the head with it. Now Perro is just punching the fuck out of Hamada until he gets a reaction. While watching this I asked out loud, "how much pain does Hamada have to go through for you fuckers to react?" Crowd gets into it but it looks like we're out of time and Perro kills Hamada with the top rope stomp for three and isn't satisfied. Fuck this crowd!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-03-02-Hamada's UWF] Perro Aguayo vs Gran Hamada
  • 2 years later...