Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-04-14-PNW-TV] Billy Jack Haynes & Rip & Larry Oliver vs The Grappler & Brian Adams & The Equalizer

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. Not exactly good action, but look at who's involved. Grappler has the full nelson on Brian Adams, and by the time he turns around, it's in Larry Oliver's hands. He thinks Larry was the one who hit him, and we suddenly have ourselves a heel turn. ART BARR and RICKY SANTANA finally make the save. How random does it get?

Haynes does a fascinating interview explaining the turn, which is basically that when he ran the outlaw fed in Portland, fans didn't support it.

Billy Jack is certainly unhinged enough that you can buy him snapping by seeing Larry holding a trash can, video evidence be damned. BIG JUICE and LITTLE JUICE? I knew about the Juicer gimmick but holy fuck.

Haynes goes nuts afterward, blaming Oregon for not supporting him or his gym. He says "SHUT UP" a few too many times but gets in a dig at the little Juicers--"You like midget wrestling, huh?"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Favorite part of this was the three heel wrestlers holding back the one referee. Some miscalculation leads to Haynes thinking he was hit by Larry Oliver and then turns on his tag partners. Rip tries to protect his son and gets caned. Haynes rips off his Oregon tights and slams his home state.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Billy Jack shows more personality in five minutes here than in his entire WWF run. Having heard of some of the history between him and the Olivers, it's not surprising to me that they were in the middle of the turn somehow. Unfortunately, it seems like it came too late to help Owen's business that much.

I thought for a second that we were going X-rated when Billy Jack ripped off his Oregon tights. Thank God we didn't!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The heels with the heat on Larry Oliver who finally makes the tag to Rip (who for some reason is the only one in the match wearing street clothes. Were these his regular garb?). Rip cleans house and tags in Haynes who puts the full nelson on Brian Adams. The Grappler clocks Haynes in the back with a garbage can, but Larry nails him with a clothesline before he can do it again and picks up the can himself. Haynes turns around to see Larry holding the can and thinks that he’s the one who just hit him. He levels Larry and starts wearing out a Kendo stick on him. Rip lies on top of his son while Billy Jack just unloads with Kendo stick shots as the heels encourage him to do so. Beetlejuice, Big Juice, Ricky Santana and Curtis Thompson come out to stop the attack and see to the Olivers and Rip gets carried out of there on a stretcher.

The announcer tries to tell Haynes that is wasn’t Larry who attacked him from behind but he wants none of it and tells him to shut up. He says that he’s got Oliver blood in him, he hit him from behind, and when the announcer again tries to correct him he gets shouted down. Billy Jack says that for eight years he wore Oregon on his tights, but when he was down two years ago where were the people then? Nobody gave a dam about him. He tears the Oregon symbol off his trunks and says how for eight years he had a gym, but these fat pigs never came down and supported it because they were out of shape. When he was down and needed some money no-one was there! He tells Rip that his son wanted to play with the big boys, well he’s the big boy and now he knows what it’s like to go out on a stretcher. He’s going to take the Oliver’s out, he should have done it a long time ago and tells the state of Oregon to kiss his ass!

Great interview from Haynes who is one intense, scary man that you don’t want to be getting on the wrong side of!

• 1 month later...

Haynes turning on Oregon is pretty incredible. After watching the Portland set I wondered how he could ever go heel in Portland. Also, him turning on Rip Oliver and his son is all kinds of poetic. The promo could have been executed with a bit more...professionalism I guess. But I don't think Billy Jack was ever the best promo, so I'll give him this one.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-04-14-PNW-TV] Billy Jack Haynes & Rip & Larry Oliver vs The Grappler & Brian Adams & The Equalizer