Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-02-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bobby insists that Rude now be introduced as "The next WWF Champion," and Brother Love obliges. The serious-ing of Rude continues as it's declared that there will be no more Rude Awakenings until Rude has the title.

This program is still waiting for something out of Rude besides promos, regardless of how good they are. This is another good one, but it isn't exceptional.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This purpose of this segment seemed to be to blend serious Rude (new haircut, tougher attitude) with sleazy Rude (tights, hip swivels). The effect's a bit jarring, since we've seen nothing but serious Rude for weeks, but I guess a complete makeover was too much to ask for. Heenan's still as serious as a heart attack, though.

I also kind of like the idea of ending the Rude Awakenings; they were a nice way to get over his sex appeal in the beginning, but the schtick was getting old by now. Besides, there probably weren't all that many young women willing to do it in the first place.

Just eight weeks until SNME!

• 1 year later...

Brother Love would like us to welcome his guests, ‘Brother Brain’ Bobby Heenan and ‘Ravishing’ Rick Rude. Heenan informs Love that he made a big mistake and Rude is to be introduced from here on as ‘the next WWF champion’. Love is most apologetic and corrects himself. Rude says that the Warrior might have shown the rest of the world that he’s worthy of being called the World Wrestling Federation champion, but he’s got to prove it to him and that’s not going to be so easy. He has the ability to make some people feel real good, and he has the ability to make some people feel real bad. Heenan then announces that there will be no more Rude Awakenings until Rude becomes the WWF champion.

As much as I liked the perm, I think Rude looks much more threatening with the short hair and serious stuff from him and ‘The Brain’ here. No more messing around with the women, and if it hadn’t been clear from the vignettes, everything is focussed on winning the gold.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-02-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan