[1990-06-13-USWA-Evansville TV] Jerry Lawler local promo

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If I'd been basically beaten by two guys, one of whom is barely a wrestler and the other of whom hasn't been a relevant boxer in twelve years, I'd have been whining just like Lawler, if not even more.

So a feud that started out as a worked shoot over race relations in Memphis as it relates to the USWA turns into Lawler against Leon ever-lovin' Spinks? Somehow it figures, but I'm still disappointed. (I know he's not in the particular match referenced here, but he still screwed Lawler at the last Evansville card to set up the upcoming bout, so my rant's still on point.) I know they probably did this at least in part for some scrap of mainstream publicity, and Leon Spinks is still a famous name since he beat Ali, but I'd be asking if I was a believing fan whether Snowman really wanted to seriously change the political structure of Memphis wrestling or if he just wanted to get up Lawler's nose like Andy Kaufman way back when. Whatever his motive, he's up the King's nose now all right.

Off to see now just how big a trainwreck Leon really is. What I've read so far doesn't sound promising.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Lawler is in serious mode and says that the Snowman accomplished something that so many people weren’t able to accomplish. He should rephrase that, because everyone knows he didn’t get the job done by himself, in fact he wasn’t instrumental in him losing the Unified World title at all! How can he sleep at night? How can he look at himself in the mirror and call himself a champion when Leon Spinks was the man who cost him the title? This week he’s got a rematch but the Snowman won’t have a handpicked referee this time, because there won’t be a referee in the ring. It’s just the two of them, a fight to the finish. The referee will be on the outside and will only come in the ring for one thing, and that’s to count someone’s shoulders out and he promises those shoulders will be the Snowman’s.

I know it’s tough to keep track of what goes down as Memphis and Texas are run separately, but unless Evansville now is, this date is surely wrong? We haven’t even had the Lawler/Snowman match with Kerry Von Erich as the referee yet, but this promo is talking about Spinks as the referee and costing Lawler the belt.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-06-13-USWA-Evansville TV] Jerry Lawler local promo