Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Arn Anderson vs Rocky King

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Isn't Arn still the TV champ? I understand Rocky King probably isn't a top contender for the TV title, but shouldn't Arn at least come out with the belt, and be announced as champion? Were they phasing out the TV title at this point, only to change their minds later?

Match is a squash, but Arn can't even beat Rocky King before the Horsemen run in and get him DQ'd, as Ole continues to bury his own group. Sid bailing rather than have to bump in his awesome tux was pretty funny.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Like Volkoff/Zhukov, this would have been better being an angle instead of a match. Do this on the Louisville Slugger and it gets heat. Make this into a match and Arn looks weak and lazy, unable even to beat one of the worst wrestlers in the company cleanly. At least let him get the pin before the other Horsemen hit the ring, for heaven's sake.

Flair not appearing only makes the whole mess look more blatantly racist, like he doesn't want to soil his hands on any more black men. His continued participation in this angle, Horseman or not, is disgusting.

If Ole had had any sense, this would have led to a TV title match the following week and an upset victory for Rocky, even if he only held the title for a week before Arn destroyed him once and for all. Unfortunately, unless I completely missed something, said attack of sense never happened.

• 1 year later...

Ahh really disappointing. Just a means to an end here. I really wanted them to have an actual match, like with Rocky King getting just a bit of a comeback as an underdog. What we got, however, was an absolutely brutal squashing until the rest of the gang shows up. I mean, I can only complain so much about an Arn squash.

• 7 months later...

Great ovation for Rocky King! The match is a squash. It’s all Arn, but for some reason Ole Anderson, Barry Windham and Sid Vicious interfere and jump on King for the DQ. Sid with a powerbomb in the beat down until Sting, Junkyard Dog and Paul Orndorff make the save with Jim Ross saying that ‘the superheroes are here!’

This is a match I had watched fairly recently so knew the outcome, but another crazy booking decision. Just have Arn beat him clean, the Horsemen can attack King post-match and then the Dudes with Attitude can make the save. Why on earth are you protecting King and not having him do a clean job? This is a man whose NWA career has been all about jobbing!

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Arn Anderson vs Rocky King