Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Rocky King and Thunderbolt Patterson

Loss

• 1 month later...

Rocky King has ANOTHER surprise for Ole Anderson ... THUNDERBOLT PATTERSON. Thunderbolt threatened to have the NAACP picket CNN Center if WCW wouldn't give him a job, and that threat worked. But WCW feels even more in a time warp now than they ever did in the Bischoff era.

Oh, sweet Jesus, just the man to bring some youthful pep and workrate back to this promotion, Thunderbolt Patterson. At least there's some history between him and Ole. T-bolt cuts his standard "Ooh, I'm about to swear--no I'm not" promo and amusingly uses the same simile Kerry used in the previous segment about stink on...OOOOOH. 1990's Worst Angle continues. If this is the New Era beginning, then let's go back to the old one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Did Thunderbolt ever appear on TV after this? If not, what was the point (creatively speaking) of bringing him in? I'm sure that they could have stuck him in an office somewhere if all they wanted was to avoid a lawsuit.

I've seen in threads for later Yearbooks that some people have a problem with WCW using TV shows to promote the big cards at the Omni. I personally don't, but if you're going to do that, shouldn't you tape the card so that people who don't live in the Atlanta area can see what went on? I know they did it occasionally, but not on any kind of consistent basis.

I read the backstory, but if you leave the legal threats out of it, I don't see what benefit bringing Bolt in had for the product. I don't even think he seconded King in his bout with Arn, which would only seem logical (I'll be watching that match soon to find out for myself). There had to be a way to appease him without putting him on camera if putting him on camera made no sense.

There was no other option. If he wasn't put on TV, he was going to organize an NAACP picket in front of CNN Center and call attention to the stuff they were doing that flew under the radar of TBS executives. Period. They decided not to call his bluff, which was probably a wise decision, as it's not like he had a lasting role and dramatically changed the course of the company or anything.

He probably saw race-baiting angles as "his" in the same way that the Iron Sheik was even telling people as late as 2005 that he was expecting a call from WWE so he could be involved in Mohammad Hassan's stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Rocky King getting more promo time! Ole Anderson interrupts a King interview, is tired of having to see his face every week and wants to know what this surprise is that he’s got in store for him? King introduces his ‘brother’ and it’s Thunderbolt Patterson. Ole thinks that this is another stitch up by World Championship Wrestling and goes off to consult with his lawyers. Patterson says how he’s been sat at home watching everything and Ole Anderson has been running rough shot over everyone. The Horsemen’s time has come and he’s going to be keeping an eye on them from now on. Wherever they go, he’s going to be there. He’s been denied by Ole Anderson and Ric Flair and it’s time to put his foot where the sun don’t shine!

It’s 1985 all over again and this seems like such a backwards step in bringing in Patterson. Thunderbolt is hardly the most threatening of looking individuals either.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-06-15-NWA-Power Hour] Rocky King and Thunderbolt Patterson