Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-07-05-NJPW] Owen Hart vs Keiji Muto

Loss

• 2 months later...

I'm distracted early on by the idea that Moo Toe Cagey would be an amazing message board name. This is not a very interesting match. They spend too much time sitting in headlocks, and some of Owen's highspots are *too* graceful ... like he's doing ballet instead of competing in a contact sport. Just some punching and kicking mixed into the stuff he was already doing would have gone a long way to make him seem more aggressive.

This is another sort of a "Hey, these two guys wrestled each other" match but man, is it miles ahead of Bret vs. Misawa. The only Owen thing that really bothered me as far as looking choreographed was his too-easy blocked kick into an enzuigiri spot. No, he didn't have much in the way of strikes but I can deal with that if you throw some nasty suplexes, something I'm not sure Owen gets enough credit for in general. His moonsault was off but was a good excuse for Mutoh to kick out and then say, "Here, let me show you how it's done."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

For some reason, this match was misdated June 30 on the discs, so I made a new thread for it in the June forum before I found this one. Copying and pasting is giving me trouble in this forum (I know how to do it in every other forum I participate in but this one, so it's the forum's issue, not mine), so I'll have to retype my comments by hand. Here we go:

Neat little match, but not as end-to-end as you'd expect, possibly because Owen has a legitimate back or ribs injury. I'm kind of surprised that this one got as nasty as it did, but I remember someone saying that it took Muto a while to get out of Muta mode upon his return from the States, so that may be a partial explanation.

I love the irony of Muto using the sharpshooter as an attempted submission, even though Owen wouldn't begin to use it for several years.

Big win for Muto, but Owen looks like a comer here, and his career in Japan is well on its way.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-07-05-NJPW] Owen Hart vs Keiji Muto