Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

Flair and Sting are next to each other for this interview. Gordon Solie has been assured by attorneys from both sides there will be no confrontation, but I can't buy that, considering how personal this feud has gotten. Flair gets riled up quickly, and Ole is out to get in some words too. I wish he wasn't there. This feud already had too many distractions and was diluted enough. El Gigante shows up behind Flair and Ole and Ole does his surprised look again. How many times is he going to be surprised to see El Gigante behind him? I wasn't crazy about this segment, as it was about Flair/Sting, but not really about Flair/Sting, if that makes any sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Sting (in a "NO JUICE - JUST GENETICS" shirt) and Flair go back and forth on the mic as Gordon Solie vainly attempts to keep the peace. Flair is a supreme asshole here, calling the fans idiots and trying to bully Solie around. I approve. Ole comes out and he and Flair make as though they're about to put a beatdown on Sting and this segment awkwardly falls apart, as it appears someone has missed a cue. FINALLY El Gigante comes out and Ole shuts up. Sting gets some last words in and Flair goes into his psycho mode in response.

Bad timing aside I liked this segment more than Loss. Ole stooging is fun because it's so rare and Flair really carried everything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Final interview between Sting and Flair before their match. Gordon tries to set some rules that there will be no physical confrontation during this. Quick heated exchange and Ole joins us for no reason in my book. Solie again tries to remind us to no get physical. Gordon seemed to be getting legit pissed here with guys trying to rip his mic out of his hand. El Gigante! He just stands there trying to be menacing but he looks goofy. Ole and Flair play it up the best they can at getting all freaked out.

• 2 years later...

This entire feud was as much about the groups (DWA vs. Horsemen) as it was about Sting and Flair. If they hadn't already lost a ton of time on Sting's reign and needed to get the belt on him NOW, this most likely would have been a WarGames match, which was a Bash PPV staple by then. It already feels like one, with both groups stationed at ringside.

The thing that really stands out here is that the Horsemen are so far over the edge that they would have gladly smacked around Gordon Solie just to prove they could. In fact, I was actually expecting one of them to at least knock the glasses off of his face if not outright hit him in the jaw, which would have allowed Sting to make the save for him and push the heat for the match past the boiling point. Fortunately for Gordon, we didn't get that, but what's fortunate for him isn't so fortunate for us, as the whole segment turns on another "surprise" visit from El Gigante. As Loss said, Ole should have long since stopped being freaked out when he saw Gigante by now; then again, everyone sold mortal fear for Andre every time he appeared back in the day, so that's not a really big deal to me.

In the end, there isn't any new ground broken, and this whole feud is now starting to feel a bit like Warrior/Rude; both are pretty well warmed over by now, and both need matches in a hurry before they totally peter out. Fortunately, the Bash isn't far away for Flair and Sting.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I think it was mentioned in another thread involving this build. WCW needed to assure their fans that there would be no screwy Horsemen interference ending here. So much so that they forgot to hype the actual match. That was pretty much left to Flair and Sting. Sting seemed more interested in being a good company man and hyping the stips more than the match.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-07-07-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Ric Flair and Sting