Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-05-04-USWA Texas] Bill Dundee vs John Tatum

Loss

• 1 month later...

For those of you who don't know him, meet John Tatum, the most delusional douchebag in wrestling history. He's awesome. The beginning of a pretty epic summertime feud here. Tatum sure loves Tessa, and keeps doing moves with the goal of impressing her and showing off. Tessa seems to slowly be leaving his side and is not impressed. Tatum ends up using something from Tessa's purse as a weapon and brings home the win.

Future Global announcer Craig Johnson has taken over for Lowrance (apparently after an unsuccessful bid to bring back Bill Mercer) and Percy Pringle is now the color man. I don't think I've ever seen Tessa before. But she's solidly hotter than Jeannie. Tatum does his usual stooge-and-cry spots and seems to blame Tessa for Dundee ever gaining the advantage, and orders her to stay in one spot in the corner. Later Tessa refuses to give up her purse and it almost costs Tatum a win. After Tony Falk gets bumped, Tatum manages to wrest the purse from her and knock Dundee out with it to keep his Southern title as Tessa flees for the locker room.

Anxious to see where this storyline goes. Tatum physically accosting Tessa looked legitimately uncomfortable, like a real domestic incident. Not a criticism (yet), just an observation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dundee has a couple kisses for some ringside female fans. There seems to be a giant fan somewhere in the arena that is blowing everyone’s hair around. Tatum is very aggressive towards his valet Tessa. I am not familiar with Tatum outside of him being involved with Missy. Damn out of position referees. Works to Tatum’s advantage as he gets to use the purse to get the win.

• 3 weeks later...

Tessa looks like she is straight out of a Whitesnake video. Tatum is pretty great at being an unsettling douche, and I want to see how this plays out. Interesting that Texas is running two storylines using women at the same time, during a period where most promotions only had maybe one or two women at most under contract.

• 1 year later...

As I said in an earlier thread, as nice as this was, Vince did it better with Savage and Liz, although I will say that Bill Dundee makes a better knight in shining armor than George Steele ever did.

As far as the commentators go, Percy continues to straddle the line between face and heel. I'll need to hear more of Craig Johnson, but if they couldn't bring back Bill Mercer or fly Dave Brown in from Memphis, it's to the point where one announcer's about as good as another.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

This is a match for Tatum’s Southern Heavyweight title. Both of these throw a mean punch, but I was left pretty flat by the match as it seemed to be more about pushing dissension between Tatum and his valet Tessa. At one point Tatum appears to be trying to get her approval but she just turns her back on him. Later in the match he starts yelling at her and tells her to stay in his corner and not to move, and when he gives her a kiss she wipes it off. He tries to get her handbag off her to use as a weapon but she’s hesitant to hand it over. Tony Falk takes his now seemingly customary bump after Tatum shoots Dundee into him and he again tries to get the handbag. She refuses to give it him and he grabs her by the hair. Dundee comes over to where they are and Tatum is finally able to wrest the bag from her and wallop Dundee with it. Tessa flees to the back, Tatum pulls Falk over and he covers Dundee to retain the title.

It would have been nice to see a bit of what’s led up to this dissension between Tatum and Tessa (there is talk on commentary of Dundee possibly kissing her), but that is just a minor quibble. I’ve never seen any of this feud in the past so this is something that I’m excited to see where it goes. I thought Dusty was pretty rough with Sherri in an earlier clip in the Yearbook, but that was nothing compared to the way that Tatum grabbed Tessa here.

• 1 month later...

Tatum really lays on the creepiness with Tessa. Tessa is allll kinds of trashy hair metal hot. And she manages to look empty-headed pretty well, then does a good job of being scared of Tatum as the match progresses. Tony Falk needs to stop getting in the way. Some good punch exchanges between Tatum and Dundee.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-05-04-USWA Texas] Bill Dundee vs John Tatum