Pro Wrestling Only

Loss

• 2 months later...

Dennis Brent announces that the Southern Boys are going to receive an Outstanding Achievement Award from the editors of Wrestling Wrap-Up for some unclear reason. They keep emphasizing how popular they are, and how much time they spend in hospitals, and this is just total bullshit. They show a clip from Worldwide of the Southern Boys upsetting the MX in one of their first televised appearances in the territory a few months back. The match looks pretty good and may be worth seeking out in full for the Errata.

Cornette interrupts and is furious. He is really fired up. Steve Armstrong finally shoves him down to the ground. Cornette is on fire!

• 2 weeks later...

Next to "guy leaving ring meets guy approaching ring in aisleway," the old Unannounced Random Award Ceremony is probably my least-favorite angle set-up in wrestling. Dennis Brent stiffly talks about the Southern Boys' popularity and hospital visits. By this point even the densest mark has to be able to see what's coming. First we get extended clips of the Southern Boys upsetting the Midnights on television months earlier. Cornette comes out to rant, but successfully talks Steve out of clocking him--not befitting of a "good citizen," and besides he's wearing glasses! Steve settles for pushing Cornette on his "big fat ass" instead. Cornette was good as usual but this was overall pretty lame. I suppose this served as a distraction from the fact that Robert Gibson was out and we wouldn't be getting MX/R'nRs at Havoc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't mind the good citizenship part of the award as much as I minded the match they used to justify it. Corny (who was exquisite here) is absolutely right; an actual six-month old videotape which mentions Corny being in the cage at Capital Combat proves what exactly? Surely Tracy and Steve have done something else in the ring that's worthy of an award since.

At any rate, even if the MX had stayed in WCW, the time for this feud was back in July off of the U.S. tag title match at the Bash; Tracy and Steve should have taken the belts from Bobby and Stan instead of the Steiners. Now, this feud would have been every bit as meaningless as the feud that they'd just wrapped up with the Freebirds. The matches may have been better, but they wouldn't have meant anything more to the title picture. I'm beginning to see why Stan and Corny left; if there was a team who deserved a heel/heel feud with Doom, it was the MX.

The match clip looked really good, and Ole was a breath of fresh air on commentary with Tony. If only he'd stayed in the booth full-time instead of taking the book..............

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-10-27-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Southern Boys and Jim Cornette