Desert Island Decades

JerryvonKramer

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which decade?

• 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s

I go with the 70's over the 90's beacuse of all the Legends that were in their prime. I also go with the 70's because of the variety of the various territories. The 90's started off pretty bad until the mid 90's turn around.

The premise of the question was based on Available Material being able to be taken to the Island.

There was a variety of territories. There's very little available, especially of real matches (i.e. Arena matches in full / near full condition). Essentially just Japan and WWWF/WWF in volume, and the WWWF/WWF is a bit spotty: they have far more in the vault than has been release, which makes it not available. For other territories... it's really sparse. Hot beds like JPC, Florida, Georgia, St Louis? Real depth of lucha material, AWA and Joshi? Good luck.

I think a good / interesting / fun / great set by Will of the 70s will eventually be very cool. But the vast majority of it will be matches in Japan or matches in the WWWF. It also won't remotely come close to generating 300-360 disks like the 90s sets have (depending upon how many bonus disks get created down the road).

The 70s probably would have been a really awesome decade to be a wrestling fan is:

* there was as much TV as there was from 1984-93

* as many arena show and other big matches were filmed as in that period

* we had access to all of it

John

I took that in consideration, I guess because I saw much of the 90's stuff already I would want the 70's stuff to check out on a desert Island. For 90's stuff it would be Japan and the Monday Night wars era. I never liked Lucha, too spot fest like for my taste.

I go with the 70's over the 90's beacuse of all the Legends that were in their prime. I also go with the 70's because of the variety of the various territories. The 90's started off pretty bad until the mid 90's turn around.

The premise of the question was based on Available Material being able to be taken to the Island.

There was a variety of territories. There's very little available, especially of real matches (i.e. Arena matches in full / near full condition). Essentially just Japan and WWWF/WWF in volume, and the WWWF/WWF is a bit spotty: they have far more in the vault than has been release, which makes it not available. For other territories... it's really sparse. Hot beds like JPC, Florida, Georgia, St Louis? Real depth of lucha material, AWA and Joshi? Good luck.

I think a good / interesting / fun / great set by Will of the 70s will eventually be very cool. But the vast majority of it will be matches in Japan or matches in the WWWF. It also won't remotely come close to generating 300-360 disks like the 90s sets have (depending upon how many bonus disks get created down the road).

The 70s probably would have been a really awesome decade to be a wrestling fan is:

John

I took that in consideration, I guess because I saw much of the 90's stuff already I would want the 70's stuff to check out on a desert Island. For 90's stuff it would be Japan and the Monday Night wars era. I never liked Lucha, too spot fest like for my taste.

Then you are watching the wrong lucha.

John

I'll take lucha mat work & brawling over the high spots myself

John

i grew up here in L.A. so I saw that stuff my whole life and I still don't like it

Nothing on AJW TV in the 80s aired near complete

Eh, i've seen a decent sized amount of matches that got 15 to 20 mins from the original tv run, so either I had great luck or you had bad :)

The original TV was clipped, but I were a lot of AJW Classics shows that came out. The original series ran 77 episodes, most of it covering the 80s. There were several series after that, but given the number of matches on each show (even the two hour ones), they look to have some clippage. Dan's lists of those things over on CM are from 2009, so I don't know how much since then has come out. I guess that all of the AJW 80s stuff got sent to Will at some point for use in the 80s project, hopefully with people able to sift through all the variations of matches to find the complete / most complete versions that can make the set. Anway... there looks like there a pretty fair amount of AJW 80s stuff available, especially the bigger matches that would make Classics. They're likely the source for all the AJW that's on Youtube.

John

The original series ran 77 episodes, most of it covering the 80s. There were several series after that, but given the number of matches on each show (even the two hour ones), they look to have some clippage. Dan's lists of those things over on CM are from 2009, so I don't know how much since then has come out.

Yeah, it gets a bit confusing if you're not paying close attention. The main original classics run that started airing in the early 2000's was about 95% complete matches.

After that there was SP & Premium & maybe 1 more which mostly rehashed stuff from the original classics run or aired things that were allready complete elsewhear. These were pretty much all clip jobs.

Recently (post 09) over the last few years there's been a run of "New AJW Classics" that's still airing now and is up to around 90 eps or so. Like the previous versions it's all clipped to hell (you get anywhear from 3 to 12 mins max of each match) but it has one advantage in that they cover a lot of things that we were originally missing footage of over here.

Dunno why since AJW did have tv at the time but for example there's HUGE gaps in what's available from tape traders for 90 & 91 so the new AJW claisscs shows do cover a lot of the lost footage (The Kyoko/Yamada 30 min draw from the 91 JGP, the Jungle Jack/Marine Wolves tag title change, a missing Kyoko/Bull match were some of the cooler things to pop up even in clipped form).

I guess that all of the AJW 80s stuff got sent to Will at some point for use in the 80s project, hopefully with people able to sift through all the variations of matches to find the complete / most complete versions that can make the set.

Goodhelmet or someone else can correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression the joshi project got droped. Wasn't it something like the ppl who got sent the footage to sort through didn't want to do it & the ppl who did want to do it weren't going to be sent the footage?

Goodhelmet or someone else can correct me if i'm wrong but I was under the impression the joshi project got droped. Wasn't it something like the ppl who got sent the footage to sort through didn't want to do it & the ppl who did want to do it weren't going to be sent the footage?

It didn't get dropped, but it's in deep freeze because no one who has the footage is terribly enthusiastic about going through it.