Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Fabulous Ones

Loss

Lawler comes out for a interview after a Fabs match. About 30 seconds later, Cornette hits him with the racket and the Fabs beat up Lawler. They piledrive him on the concrete before the babyfaces make the save. Cornette then cuts a great promo about getting $50,000 from Terry Funk for causing Eddie Gilbert to leave and now get $50,000 more for taking Lawler out. Cornette even takes out his big Zach Morris cell phone to call Terry. Eddie Marlin comes out and yells out Cornette and the Fabs. It's a shame Jim Cornette didn't stick around much longer ( I think he was only in for about 3 weeks before he and Stan went to Global). Oh and Stan Lane wears Jerry's crown during all this. Good angle. Even if Dave Brown kinda blew it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Fabs are out celebrating the tag title win and Lawler comes out for his interview. Lawler gets a few words out before Cornette hits him with the racket from behind and the Fabs work him over, including a really nasty spike piledriver on the floor. I think that's Jerry Lynn helping Lawler up. Cornette immediately heels himself while Stan Lane wears Lawler's crown. They immediately clarify that they are here to collect the bounty. He explains his actions in that typically great Jim Cornette way, and they get in a few digs at fellow heel Eddie Gilbert. He calls "Terry" and says he's two for two. Eddie Marlin gets in Cornette's face and promises him Lawler is done. Cornette says he's not the same guy Lawler used to make fun of 8 years ago -- he's played with the big boys and the Fabs aren't to be messed with. This guy is too good to be stuck working Memphis. Fuck a WCW.

A great 1st step in the program . Gilbert gets buried here. That Spike piledriver was totally awesome, and gives super heat in Memphis. Stan dinning the crown was gold . Man Lawler and Cornette promos are sure to be amazing. Would have love to see Cornette do a long run here.

• 3 weeks later...

The Fabs make a show of watching Jerry Lawler's back during an interview, only for Cornette to clobber Lawler with the racket and the Fabs drop him with a spike piledriver on the floor. Cornette calls "Terry" on his portable phone and informs him that he's "2 for 2"--they ran Eddie Gilbert off and just broke Lawler. Cornette reveals the master plan: they couldn't collect the bounty on Lawler by going after him head-to-head and there was a chance that the Memphis Mafia could collect it first, so they earned Lawler's trust and thwarted the Mafia before making their move. Eddie Marlin comes out to get in Cornette's face and this face-off is as great as one would expect. The Fabs vs. Lawler and a partner is more or less signed for Monday night.

As an added note, Eddie Gilbert no-showed the previous Monday's MSC card and apparently (though not for that long, looking at the match listings) walked out on the promotion entirely. So that burial from Cornette was just that. Now I wonder if this wasn't a panic turn, though one always has to wonder how long any Cornette babyface run can truly last.

EDIT: An Observer confirms the Fabs turn was planned, and that Eddie would turn babyface to team with Lawler against them. Would have been interesting to see though I think it was way too early to turn Gilbert at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Cornette does a very brief promo and will let others talk instead. Starting to think I don’t like this Cornette and then the Fabulous Ones attack Lawler! Cornette explains his actions while Stan Lane wears Lawler’s crown. Would have liked to seen him do that in 94 when he was wearing the wig. Stan talks about threatening Eddie Gilbert which caused Eddie to leave the territory. Figuring he must have legit walked out. Cornette and the Fabulous Ones collect the bounty on Lawler.

• 2 years later...

This was a great "shock" turn. Not that anyone expected Corny to stay face for very long, even while he managed Memphis favorites like the Fabs, but you kind of expected a building of tension, some arguments between Corny and Lawler during which the Fabs take Corny's side, and we're off and running. Instead, with quite literally a "BOOM!" courtesy of Corny's racquet, we cut to the chase almost immediately. To really put himself over as a mastermind, Corny details how the Fabs ran Eddie Gilbert and the Memphis Mafia out of town (at least for the moment), then targeted Lawler. Amazingly, Corny still gives the King his props; if Lawler wasn't so tough and so smart, they'd have faced him straight up, but since he is, they had to backjump him in order to stand any chance at all. Keirn recounts his own reasons for wanting revenge on Lawler, while Stan tries the crown on for size.

I liked the idea of Corny and the Fabs being bounty hunters for Terry Funk, and I'm wondering how not only Lawler, but Gilbert will get revenge on him once they're all in the same place. Eddie Marlin is about as good as you'll see him in trying (unsuccessfully) to shout Corny down, and Dave Brown is probably legitimately stunned here, since he didn't like to know what was supposed to happen on the show beforehand. His soft-spoken disbelief makes the moment even more effective.

I know Corny won't be in Memphis long, but I'm sure looking forward to seeing him (and the Fabs) while they're here. It ought to be something else.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-12-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler and Fabulous Ones