Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-01-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Terrence Garvin

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Solid bullshit. Garvin's tights are pretty creepy looking. I think stalling and schtick really is the best way to get an entertaining match out of Garvin. One of my gripes with Lawler sometimes he has these type of matches with guys who could really go. Now the use of scissors here was fun, but could have turned ugly by just one slip.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Loss undersold this as it was great.

It starts with Downtown Bruno coming out in a tux and top hat and declaring himself UPTOWN Bruno now. He tells Dave Brown that he doesn't expect him to call him by the correct name because he can't even get the weather right! Lawler comes out and says that Garvin's hair may be a little too long which I don't know if that was a gay joke or him calling Garvin a woman.

Match was typical bullshit but crowd was hot as hell and Garvin did really good riling them up and interacting. I enjoyed him yelling at Bruno to tell the ref that he was not cheating. Bruno was also great going in and out of commentary with Dave and they found a lot of mileage on the downtown/uptown switch. Lawler eventually drops the strap and obtains a pair of scissors that chases Garvin out of the studio. Really enjoyed this.

Terrence Garvin has given Bruno a makeover--Uptown Bruno is now dressed in a tux and a top hat. Lawler makes a Woolworth's crack just to remind us what year this is. Hey, a Scott Bowden sighting! Epic stallorama from Garvin, constantly diving to the floor and complaining about Lawler's closed fists. Garvin comes back with a chain and a piledriver, but Lawler gets somebody to throw him a pair of scissors and that sends Garvin flying out of the studio. As fun as you can get with Terrence Garvin involved, and a testament for working smart bullshit over working hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Garvin gives the ladies some hair advice such as actually washing and conditioning it. Bruno wearing a tuxedo. He’s the new Sid. Must be getting ready for those eventual Finkel matches.

Scott Bowden referring the match in his business casual clothes. Bruno has moved uptown. Long TV studio match but a lot of stalling in it. Bruno gets involved a couple times. Lawler has some scissors and tries to cut Garvin’s hair which causes him to run off and get counted out.

• 2 years later...

Sorry, but I really didn't care for this much. The Downtown/Uptown stuff with Bruno was fine in small doses, but his constant repetition of it really got annoying, especially since that was all he did on the mic. Not a word about how he and Terrence hooked up, not a word about the other guys in his stable (though he did name them), nothing. Add that to Terrence barely even locking up at all without the chain in his hand and you don't come up with much. Lawler does what he can to save it, and seeing Terrence run from the haircut Lawler was trying for was a hoot, but there really wasn't much else to recommend here. I would have loved to hear Dave reference the past history between Lawler and Terrence last year, back when Terrence was the King's number one Dallas fan and chief sycophant, but we all know that the two sides of this promotion acknowledge each other as little as possible.

Interesting that Doug Gilbert's still in Memphis and teaming with Tony Anthony under Bruno's guidance; I thought he'd follow Eddie right out the door. Also, Bruno doesn't mention Kim, though that doesn't mean she's not still there.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-01-26-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler vs Terrence Garvin
  • 1 year later...

Not much action, but a lot of campy fun. Lawler threatens to cut Garvin's hair before the bell, and the match ends in a few minutes once Lawler has enough of Garvin's stalling and cheating and attempts to cut of Garvin's lovely locks. Any match that has Jerry Lawler throwing a few punches can't be all bad. I had no idea Downtown Bruno was Harvey Wippleman until I googled it. 

★★