Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-06-USWA-Memphis TV] USWA fans / Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry

Loss

• 2 months later...

We start off with a montage of interviews from fans regarding what I guess was a new ringside setup at Mid South Coliseum. Sweet Brown and Antoine Dodson, step aside. If this happened now, at least one YouTube remix would be created from this. "Jeff Jarrett has always been a favorite in my household." She is sexually frustrated and wants him, and you can see it in her eyes.

Then, we follow with clips of a heated, bloody match with Lawler and Embry from MSC. Lawler throws some fantastic jabs and punches and also throws a fireball at Embry for the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually a new building that the USWA moved into until around September. They had gotten into disputes with the MSC, who had raised their charges for security, raised the weekly rent, added a $2 parking fee, and almost tripled the ticket surcharges. And was actively courting WCW to run 7-8 shows a year, to boot. Not sure what specifically led to the reconciliation but with the new Pyramid opening and siphoning off Memphis State basketball and other major events, the MSC would soon be left without any regular tenants at all. The Pipkin Building only seated 2500 so the USWA is in a bit of damage control trying to justify why the smaller low-rent facility is good for YOU, the viewer. And free parking, too!

Wait, now they're hyping a Lawler/Embry cage match? When exactly is this guy's vacation going to START? Highlights of what appears to be another fantastic match between Embry and Lawler that I'd really love to see in full.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sad that the MSC is no more right now but they did a good job of creating a community atmosphere and highlighting the assets of the new building. Some of these fans comments would be touted if they happened today.

Lawler vs. Embry clips looked good and the match seemed more heated than the cage match we just saw in Texas.

• 1 year later...

The server had another little snack for itself, so from the top:

I was much more impressed by the Lawler/Embry footage than the testimonials concerning the USWA's new building. The clips looked tremendous; it was almost as if they wanted to put on an extra special show that would make the fans forget about their new, smaller surroundings, and they sure delivered in spades, complete with a Lawler fireball. My favorite part was when Lawler actually punched Embry in rhythm to the chanting crowd. I've never seen anything like that before. What a tremendous performance by the King!

Interesting to read above about some of the reasons the USWA left the MSC. It was probably more about the money than about WCW wanting to run the building, though, as both they and the WWF had run the place many times before without a peep from anyone. As a fan, I'm always in favor of any arena, no matter how small, that allows me to talk and get autographs from my favorite wrestlers, plus gives me free parking as a bonus.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-06-USWA-Memphis TV] USWA fans / Jerry Lawler vs Eric Embry