Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Jeff Jarrett, Steve Austin and Tom Pritchard

Loss

• 2 months later...

Tom Pritchard cuts a nice promo explaining his philosophy on mentoring talent while pointing to Steve Austin as one of the most promising young prospects out there. This leads to footage of a Jarrett/Pritchard cage match from MSC. As great as it is to have the Sportatorium match coming up, I don't expect the blood and heat to be the same there. Great action before the Texas Hangmen and Steve Austin enter the cage and do a number on Jarrett.

• 3 weeks later...

Highlights can of course be misleading but this might be the single best arena match of either of the first two '90s yearbooks. Great action, great false finishes, and a great actual finish, leading to a great post-match attack. One of the best USWA Memphis segments of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked the action part of the cage match well enough; it was definitely more heated than any of the three Sportatorium bouts that we've seen in the Jeff/Prichard series. But the beatdown at the end killed it for me. How many times must babyfaces in the USWA be brutalized beyond all common sense without anyone coming to their rescue? It's a terrible booking crutch, and it almost makes the matches insignificant, since even if the heel gets pinned, they're nearly guaranteed unlimited revenge once the match is over. I kind of hate to say this, but it's starting to approach NWO levels.

Dr. Tom was great on the mic, and while he'll always sound like Piper to an extent, it's always better when he doesn't overdo it. Again, Austin got treated like an appendage, and Tojo might as well not have even shown up. I've heard him before, and while he doesn't exactly speak the king's English, he can certainly do his part on the mic when he has to. So why has he just stood there and done nothing for the better part of this feud? Was he that sick? Was he literally there for Daddy Jarrett to have an excuse to cut him a check? I get that Embry and Prichard don't need help on the mic, but even his physical interference looks really weak. If I'd been booking, I'd have used Akbar (if he would have come), Bruno, or maybe even Corny if I could have gotten him to stick around for a little less.

• 2 years later...

That match looked awesome. I don't know if it's possible, but I would love to see the full version of that match surface some day. I haven't been as much into their previous matches as others (I saw them as good, but not great), but this looked pretty incredible. Really enjoyed the segment as a whole.

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-04-13-USWA-Memphis-TV] Jeff Jarrett, Steve Austin and Tom Pritchard