Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-05-18-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert & Brian Christopher vs Tom Prichard & Dirty White Boy

Loss

• 2 months later...

Nice, we get a studio match with some time given to it, and it involves four good workers at that! Awesome match with Gilbert losing his temper and taking DWB all over the studio, which gets this thrown out. Nice to see a Memphis segment during this time that isn't focused on getting Eric Embry over.

No one could seriously be surprised at the news that Christopher was Lawler's kid, could they? He looks like a dead ringer for him here, clean-shaven. This is easily the best Memphis studio match of either of the first two '90s Yearbooks. There's a strong story of Gilbert wanting to get his hands on the DWB and Anthony avoiding him and a huge payoff when Gilbert finally gets his hands on him. DWB himself looks great, just decimating Christopher and then hightailing it whenever Gilbert comes in. Gilbert and DWB have an awesome brawl at the announce desk with Gilbert throwing everything he can at him, including a great *SMACK* when he waffles him with a 3-ring vinyl binder. Gilbert comes back for the second fall with a broom and we get another crazy brawl before things settle down with an FIP segment on Gilbert. We go off the air with Gilbert and Anthony still beating the shit out of each other to set up their singles match at the Pipkin Building. Fantastic stuff that really, really builds well to the upcoming singles bout.

• 4 weeks later...

Match was alright to me but I didn't quite get why it was played up as a traditional tag match and once Gilbert tagged in he lost his temper and went after Anthony. If he was that hot and bothered you think he would have rushed the ring earlier. Picks up from there though with Gilbert even bringing a broom into the ring. At least got a few more minutes than the normal TV studio match.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I guess Eddie flaked out after this, because Soup has it right; we won't see Eddie again until August, and that's in an indy match against Terry Funk. He goes out in style here, as he and Anthony take it all over the studio once they get rolling. Chairs, brooms, binders, they use everything they can get their hands on and then some, and it's glorious. Prichard looks good when he's in, and he and Anthony look like a gifted team when they're taking Brian apart in the first fall.

I like Dave putting over the idea that Eddie and Tony are so intent on beating each other to a pulp that they'll forget it's a tag match, and sure enough, that's exactly what happens. Not that anyone's complaining, especially since this is the only time we'll get to see them go at it.

I notice that Tony switches sides (I can hardly call it a turn, since this happened after Eddie left, thus taking his main feud away) by June, which is also when Kim returns to ringside. Did they bother to explain why he was a face all of a sudden, or did he just throw in with the Tennessee guys almost out of nowhere, like Robert Fuller did?

• 2 years later...

To this point in the year, this is my favorite of the full-length USWA matches from Texas & Memphis that we've gotten. Gilbert gives a great performance here during the FIP segment, and of course I love all of the brawling. I agree with Loss in that it felt very refreshing to watch a full USWA segment that wasn't dedicated to getting Eric Embry over.

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-05-18-USWA-Memphis TV] Eddie Gilbert & Brian Christopher vs Tom Prichard & Dirty White Boy