Pro Wrestling Only

[1991-07-06-AJPW-Summer Action Series] Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshinari Ogawa

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was mostly a showcase for newcomer (at least to this feud) Ogawa, and he acquitted himself well, never appearing lost and even scoring several near falls. In the end though, he's powerbombed and pinned by Kawada despite Jumbo's best efforts to break it up, thus getting a win back for the Misawa side in the ongoing megafeud.

Of just as much interest as the result to me is that Misawa was able to stop Jumbo from interfering with the final pin, which hasn't happened often before this. It was important to give Misawa a moment where he got the upper hand on Jumbo even in an incidental way, since Baba seemed reluctant to give him a definitive, game-changing victory over Jumbo at this point.

• 2 years later...

Yeah, the Ogawa giving Kawada a taste of his own medicine using/imitating the Kawada kicks to the head was pretty awesome. The crowd really got into that moment, then as Loss mentioned Kawada lost his cool. It may have been short and clipped, but I was still really entertained by this. I actually enjoyed it more than the NJPW tag that preceded it on the set (but had had better reviews). To be fair, that one was show in it's entirety. Per usual, I thought Jumbo had a great presence and was delivering some pretty impactful blows here.

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1991-07-06-AJPW-Summer Action Series] Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada vs Jumbo Tsuruta & Yoshinari Ogawa