Pro Wrestling Only

Where The Big Boys Play #26

As I mention at the top of this show, I turned the comments on the homepage recently, so if you do listen to this podcast do drop by and leave us a comment and let us know you are there. Also, did anyone actually see "Learning the Ropes"? Looks like the worst show ever made.

Where the Big Boys Play #26 – Clash of the Champions 2

Posted Image

Chad and Parv review Clash of the Champions 2: Miami Mayhem! In this show: Parv has a big announcement, a look at the state of American television advertising in 1988 including a veritable who’s who of d-list celebrities, discussion of the Lyle Alzado star vehicle “Learning the Ropes”, the big contract signing aboard the Black Hawk with Flair’s red sweater, Kevin Sullivan’s parchment plans for the Tower of Doom, Dr Death’s white-kid gloves, Al Perez: least talked about “lost worker” ever?, more discussion of NWA managers as compared with WWF managers, and Dusty Rhodes: 268.5 lbs.

Thanks for the constructive criticism shoe. We really enjoy doing the podcast but want it to be enjoyable to all the listeners as well.

I definitely want the show to be a wrestling podcast first and foremost with only slight diversions in other topics. Probably a 95/5 ratio is optimum in my opinion. Our last two shows have probably delved too much into the other spectrum but I know for the Clash 2 show part of that problem was the lack of stuff to say and it had many wrestlers that we have seen numerous times before save for Al Perez. The GAB 88 show should be an exclusive wrestling show as it is noteworthy and contains great wrestling.

I also re-listened and realized I said at the end that the Rock N Rolls face the Midnight Express on GAB 88. I don't know why I goofed and said them since I have seen that Fantastics/MX match around 10 times.

Great show guys. I actually dig the tangents about 80's culture. Regarding Lyle Alzado, he was actully a pretty household name in the late 70's-Mid 80's as a DT/DE for the Orange Crush defense of the Denver Broncos hen they went to Superbowl 12 against Dallas. He also played for the Cardiac Brian Sipe led Cleveland Browns when they went to the playoffs in 1980. He was on the Superbowl champion Los Angeles Raiders team in 1983. He was known for having a real short temper and playing with a vicious mean streak. He also had some incidents off the field where his temper revealed itself. He later admitted to Steroid abuse and ended up getting brain cancer after his career was over. He blamed the steroids for the cancer. He even had a famous appearance on the Arsenio Hall show where he was all shriveled up and talked about his Steroid abuse. He ended up dying shortly after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YEBnEDPAHE

I listened to this for a bit last night. I'm not trying to be harsh . The bit where you guys were talking about the commercials needs to stop. I want to listen what you have to say about the wrestling. It's a wrestling podcast.

I'll admit a certain morbid fascination on my part with the sorts of commericals they aired during a Clash in 88 led to us discussing them more than expected.

But at this stage Chad and I have talked about JCP and its wrestlers and matches for well over 30 hours, and Clash 2 just so happens to be the first show we've seen where the wrestling REALLY takes a backseat to one angle (Flair-Luger) and the matches are "just there". So if this was your first ever time listening to the podcast, this episode wasn't very representative of a typical show. Point taken though.

The thing is I remembered all those damn things. Mike Ditka is one of the most famous coaches in history. He played TE for the Bears, and Cowboys.

William Sanderson is a famous character actor from Dead Wood, and he's playing his character from Newhart from the commercial.

Those Milk commercials were part of a huge marketing craze. Their are some famous people who pop up b4 they were famous .

Dick Butkus was one of the biggest pitch men of the 80's.Middle line backer for the Bears. He springboard his commercial work into a role on Blue Thunder the series, the spinoff of the movie.

Plus I don't think Al Perez is going to be a long lost great worker . He was a solid worker at best.

Plus I don't think Al Perez is going to be a long lost great worker . He was a solid worker at best.

Disagree with this. Perez's showing on these shows have me searching him out on youtube and what I have seen so far is pretty awesome.

A great brawl with Abby in Puerto Rico where he takes a beating, hits a gusher, and comes firing back with awesome babyface fire that has the fans throwing shit at Abby.

He also has a good early Bagwell match mixing in armbar sequences Bagwell didn't use in other matches, an amazing swinging neckbreaker firing off the ropes, and really good forearms and strikes.

Thought he was also good in the two nominated DVDVR Texas matches as well as vs. Kevin in the stadium show.

Probably watched around 10-12 matches of his the past couple of days and in those matches I would call him solid at worst.

Trying to get my post count up. Actually I was at work walking around with my phone and was multi tasking by posting and helping people at the same time. I thought it was better than telling people that I was too busy to help them because I was writing a post on a wrestling message board.

Here's a little tidbit on Lyle Alzado, if anyone cares.

Howie Long roomed with Alzado in training camp in Long's rookie season (81 or 82). Long always went to bed early and wasn't a partier. Alzado was a legendary carouser, but was cool and tried to adapt to Long's schedule. Long would be awoken every night and find Alzado sitting up in bed, wide awake, eating chocolate cake in the dark. Long did not remember ever seeing Alzado sleep.

Somehow that reminded me of the story of Ultimate Warrior not eating dessert, but instead crushing cookies and inhaling the aroma.

Here's a little tidbit on Lyle Alzado, if anyone cares.

Howie Long roomed with Alzado in training camp in Long's rookie season (81 or 82). Long always went to bed early and wasn't a partier. Alzado was a legendary carouser, but was cool and tried to adapt to Long's schedule. Long would be awoken every night and find Alzado sitting up in bed, wide awake, eating chocolate cake in the dark. Long did not remember ever seeing Alzado sleep.

Somehow that reminded me of the story of Ultimate Warrior not eating dessert, but instead crushing cookies and inhaling the aroma.

Yeah Matt Millen also had a story about how he was getting a haircut from Alzado's wife and then Lyle arrived and started getting physical with his wife and Millen had to physically stop Alzado from abusing his wife.

• 2 weeks later...