Pro Wrestling Only

Sting vs. Lex Luger

goodhelmet

Muscles!!!  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who was better in the ring?

• The Total Package
    • Dude With Attitude

I haven't voted yet, and don't know which way I'm leaning, but when discussing Luger and Sting, I guess it comes down to one question: Is it more impressive to have a great 3 year run (Luger 1988 to 1991) or a good 7 year run (Sting 1989 to 1996)? I genuinely don't know. Sting was never as good as Luger was from 1988 to 1991, but Luger did not remain good for a sustainable amount of time, whereas Sting did, although one can debate just how good Sting was during that time period. I think it's safe to say that Sting was a better worker than Luger from 1992 to 1996, to a degree where I'm not even sure it's close. I think Luger's case would benefit if he had more good stuff after 1991, but he did nothing remarkable in the WWF, and only occasionally did he do anything of note in his 2nd WCW run. I honestly see this as a toss up.

Was he really all that bad as The Narcissist? If nothing else, that elbow smash he did was pretty badass.

Luger is one guy who LOOKS so good because of his body and his general shape that he looks amazing just running the ropes. Like, there are few guys who look cooler taking an Irish whip.

I just watched this little three-minute jobber match:

Did clotheslines ever look so sexy as that?

Also, he pins the dude with his little finger, ha ha ha.

I'm also a mark for the build to the Perfect match at Mania. Not the match itself but the segment with Luger looking at himself in the mirror and Perfect appearing on the big screen. Most arrogant feud since Martel vs. Michaels the year before.

I voted for Lex.

I think the series of Sting vs Flair matches are a bit overrated. I just don't like their chemistry compared to Flair's matches with Lex.

As far as loving certain matches or feuds. Love the Rude vs Sting battles along with Lex and Hansen matches.

In the mic skills department Sting always seemed awkward and Lex was more believable.

• 1 year later...

Always preferred Luger, Sting's Vader series notwithstanding. Loved Luger's Flair run, his matches opposite Steamboat in '89 (which are more impressive knowing Steamboat insisted Luger call them), he was solid in the WWF although saddled with a lame gimmick and his career resurgence in 95-97 WCW.

Sting's got the Vader and Foley stuff, but nothing else that jumps out at me. The build to Hogan at Starrcade was amazing of course, but Sting didn't really do anything there. You could have any other top guy on the roster in that position and get the same result.

Actually, come to think of it, I really enjoyed Sting vs Earthquake in WCW, but that may just be a personal preference.

Luger to me is the greatest example of "could've been". By all rights, he should have been the top guy in the business. But a combination of subpar booking and political machinations ensured that he never got above where he did. Luger said that he never got involved with the political side of the business, if he had, his career may have benefitted.

That doesn't bother me. Sometimes, another poster will articulate what they wanted to say anyway.

Enabling the "like" option would make that more tangible :P

Since he hasn't been brought up here, who of the two do you think Flair had better matches with? I've actually seen way more of his matches with Sting, specifically from the first Clash and GAB '90, I also remember their matches on Saturday Night from '96 which are stellar from memory. I've heard Ric put over Lex's conditioning in his shoot, and saying they had some okay matches.

They had really great matches. Get past Steamboat and I think Luger at least had as good of matches with Flair as anyone else you could name.

On the WWE Network:

- Great American Bash '88

- Starrcade '88

- Starrcade '89

- Wrestle War '90

- Capital Combat '90

Elsewhere:

- Clash of the Champions XII

- Worldwide 05/05/90

Starrcade '88 and Wrestle War '90 are the two best.

For the Sting voters, it is because he wore face paint and reminds them of fond memories.

I put a lot of weight on peak vs peak. Obviously everyone's brought up the Vader matches, but I also cannot put any Luger matches next to the Beach Blast Sting/Cactus match. If there are five Sting matches you like more than your favorite Luger match, can you still vote Luger?

(If yes, what is the pivot? Ten?)

Sting would surely win on longevity too, but I'm not going to be the guy to catalogue his TNA performances. I will go as far as saying he was clearly competent in the stuff I saw in 2006 or so.