Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #37

Clash 7 was one of those kinda nothing shows with a lot of silly fun stuff in it. I have a question for those of you who listen to this podcast regularly. We want to make it as enjoyable as possible, so we've been thinking for a few weeks about the play-by-play. Is it necessary? Would you miss it if we just cut it entirely and skipped to analysis? Recent shows have been going long, the GAB 89 show runs for 3 hours. This would be one way of making them a little shorter. Just give us your honest view.

Where the Big Boys Play #37 – Clash of the Champions 7

Posted Image

Chad and Parv take a look at Clash of the Champions 7: Guts and Glory. In this episode: some appreciation for Jason Mann’s Wrestlespective show, Meltzer’s best and worst PPV rankings to date, “Fist Fighter” starring Superstar Billy Graham!, The Parade of Champions: Chad reveals what Randy Rose and Ranger Ross are up to now in 2013, Johnny Ace / John John Laurinaitis, **Wrestlecrap spectacular featuring the many masks of Jack Victory, the Ding Dongs, Norman the Lunatic and, yes, it’s Ranger Ross!!**, thoughts on Terry Gordy and Scott Steiner, Mike Rotunda on career-best form, are the Varisty Club an all-time, top-10 stable or even a top-20 stable?, Flair the Lakers fan, and is Luger better as a face or as a heel?

I agree with cutting out the play by play. I've been thinking about mentioning it for weeks, but didn't want to seem negative because I like the show. Bottom line is play by play means nothing unless you are watching along. You should mention cool spots or the psychology of the bout, maybe background of the match etc.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, funny thing related to the Ding Dongs, I forget whom the story is about, and I doubt it's Heard since this is from a time when Ole & Arn were teammates (unless they reformed when the Horsemen reform later in the year when Arn returns).

Well, the story goes that this guy was throwing out ideas for "kid friendly" fodder tag teams, I guess as a precursor to what the Ding Dongs were, and one of them was wrestling hunchbacks. With the premise that they could not be pinned.

Ole simply said "Put them in with me and Arn, and I'd make them tap with a spinning toe hold."

Needless to say that ended that idea!

Perhaps they saw what the WWF was doing with the Bushwackers and thought they'd jump on the "give the kids something to have a little fun with" sort of characters.