Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Paul Bearer/ Percy Pringle

Johnny Sorrow

I was a huge Undertaker fan when I was a teen, so Paul Bearer was a big part of my early fandom years. I was totally shocked when he turned on Taker at SummerSlam 96, and I enjoyed his heel run with Mankind a lot. Sad to hear. Way too young to die. :(

Being the biggest old school Taker mark around I'm pretty distraught right now. And a sad and purely selfish coincidence, he was doing an indy show in my area Saturday where you could grab lunch with him before the show and chat about his career. I was going to meet him for the first time. RIP Uncle Paul.

Is that the MWF show? He is a big part of their promotion. Went to a show a couple years back when they made him President. We went to Kowloon's after and ran into him, very nice guy...very laid back. Sad to see him pass.

Rest in Peace, Paul!

For whatever reason, a memory of mine of Paul Bearer that always sticks out was when he hosted The Funeral Parlor in early '94 with Owen as his guest. Paul being the guy with the higher morals, saying, "But...you kicked Bret when he was down..." always amused me.

Fun manager. Was really happy with his '97 stuff, because rather than attach himself to guys already established to a degree (like Taker or Mankind), he instead helped build a new character, one that's still going today.

RIP William Moody. Thanks for the memories.

That was the event. You had lunch with him there before the show. Was set to buy tickets early this am when I checked 411

Being the biggest old school Taker mark around I'm pretty distraught right now. And a sad and purely selfish coincidence, he was doing an indy show in my area Saturday where you could grab lunch with him before the show and chat about his career. I was going to meet him for the first time. RIP Uncle Paul.

Is that the MWF show? He is a big part of their promotion. Went to a show a couple years back when they made him President. We went to Kowloon's after and ran into him, very nice guy...very laid back. Sad to see him pass.

Rest in Peace, Paul!

I gotta say, I'm surprised at the reaction over this news. People I've never seen have any comment about pro wrestling tweeting RIP.

I think a lot of people grew up either watching in the early 90s or were fans during Attitude. During both time periods he was pretty prominent and well known and he stood out with his look, so I guess people have fond memories? I bet most remember him from the early 90s and he brought back childhood memories.

Seemed like a really nice guy...haven't seen anything bad or negative about him at all. Sad that he couldn't get his weight under control, but I am sure losing his wife a few years ago really took a toll on the poor guy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andrews

I gotta say, I'm surprised at the reaction over this news. People I've never seen have any comment about pro wrestling tweeting RIP.

I'm not. Paul Bearer is more known of a name in mainstream media than Bret Hart, Ric Flair and even John Cena, amongst people of a certain demographic. People who remember watching wrestling in the early 90's remember The Undertaker and Paul Bearer.

I'm not. Paul Bearer is more known of a name in mainstream media than Bret Hart, Ric Flair and even John Cena, amongst people of a certain demographic. People who remember watching wrestling in the early 90's remember The Undertaker and Paul Bearer.

What demographic is that exactly? Bret and Flair were wrestling in the early 90's and were arguably bigger stars than Taker and Bearer at the time. I struggle to imagine somebody that would know who Paul Bearer is but not Ric Flair.

Guest Andrews

What demographic is that exactly? Bret and Flair were wrestling in the early 90's and were arguably bigger stars than Taker and Bearer at the time. I struggle to imagine somebody that would know who Paul Bearer is but not Ric Flair.

Then you need to get out of the wrestling bubble.

Then you need to get out of the wrestling bubble.

That just doesn't make any sense. What has Paul Bearer done outside of wrestling? None of my friends that weren't fans of wrestling know who Paul Bearer is. However, they know who Flair is as I originally mentioned. I was just wanting to know what exactly the demographic is you were talking about as it doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, early 90's was used in his argument, that's not the Attitude era. If you want to argue that, then I argue that Undertaker wasn't involved the nWo angles.

Guest Andrews

Laney, you realise I'm not Blueminister banging on about the late 90's right? Cool.

Anyway, I still suggest more people who know little about wrestling know who Paul Bearer is, as opposed to Ric Flair. "Undertaker and Paul Bearer" were as close to cheese and onion to a lot of people. They don't necessarily have to know much - but they know the name, and they know he was involved in wrestling in some capacity.

Nobody mentioned anything about Paul doing stuff outside of wrestling, so I don't know why you want to go down that path? I'm simply suggesting (and I believe I'm right and the majority will back this up) that to people outside of wrestling, there is a bigger chance of them "knowing" Paul Bearer than Ric Flair. That has NOTHING to do with who was a bigger star or who was better or whatever, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

That's just silly.

We'll know for sure the day Flair croaks. I think he'll get coverage over and above Bearer myself, personally.

I can say that a large number of people that do not watch/like/associate with pro wrestling that I know talked about Bearer's passing after it happened than I thought ever would know or care who he was, enough that it legitimately surprised me.

His character was memorable enough that those same non-wrestling people said "I remember that guy" a lot, which at least shows me that at points, WWE and possibly WCW were big enough that people with no interest in it were exposed to it enough through other means that it made an imprint.

Guest Andrews

That's just silly.

Not really. My Dad knew who Paul Bearer was and wouldn't have a clue who Ric Flair is. Just the way it is. If you think that is an isolated example, you're being thick.

That's just silly.

We'll know for sure the day Flair croaks. I think he'll get coverage over and above Bearer myself, personally.

I can say that a large number of people that do not watch/like/associate with pro wrestling that I know talked about Bearer's passing after it happened than I thought ever would know or care who he was, enough that it legitimately surprised me.

His character was memorable enough that those same non-wrestling people said "I remember that guy" a lot, which at least shows me that at points, WWE and possibly WCW were big enough that people with no interest in it were exposed to it enough through other means that it made an imprint.

Sure, but there's a difference between being surprised at how many people remembered Paul Bearer and saying that more people know who he is than Ric Flair. Flair's one of the few like Hogan and Savage who would get mainstream media attention when they die, or in Savage's case did.

Not really. My Dad knew who Paul Bearer was and wouldn't have a clue who Ric Flair is. Just the way it is. If you think that is an isolated example, you're being thick.

Oh your dad said so? Why didn't you mention that before? Now I'm all turned around on the subject.

Guest Andrews

Oh your dad said so? Why didn't you mention that before? Now I'm all turned around on the subject.

Are you broken or something?