Pro Wrestling Only

1980s Wrestling Party #11

So, I woke up this morning, talked to Phil Schneider and had the 2nd of a back to back of the Wrestling Party. This morning, I was joined by Kris Z and Phil Schneider. My apologies to those who would have taken part but this was a rare morning edition due to the strange schedules of those of us who participated. Anyway, listen to #10 first and come back to this one later if you want to see what Phil Schneider has been up to since his sabbatical from internet podcasts.

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (4/20/86)

Rick Martel vs. Harley Race (4/20/86)

Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86)

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White (5/1/86)

Mike Rotundo & Curt Hennig vs. Mr. Go & Larry Zbyszko (5/1/86)

Mike Rotundo vs. Doug Somers (5/1/86)

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (5/17/86)

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...6382&cmd=tc

Usually these things are too late for me (living in Europe). Today when I came home from work I wanted to download #10 and was surprised to see that there was a show live at that time. Anyway I really like to listen to these shows because they motivate we to continue watching now instead of putting it on the shelve.

Great show guys. It's good to hear Phil back on podcasts. Here's how I ranked 'em:

1. Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86)...clearly the best match of this batch and I think it's the only one of these that's knocking on the door of my top tier.

2. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (4/20/86)...a damn fine early chapter in this historic feud.

3. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White (5/1/86)...call me crazy, but just as I had last night's 6 man a little higher than most, so to is the case with this one. I guess I'm really enjoying the TV studio matches that are structured more around Rose & Somers. Here, we get a ton of Rose/Somers antics whether on top or underneath. It being shorter plays to it's strengths for me over the Hall/Henning match. Plus, I enjoyed green as goose shit Vader more than Henning/Hall.

4. Rick Martel vs. Harley Race (4/20/86)

5. Mike Rotundo vs. Doug Somers (5/1/86)

6. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (5/17/86)

7. Mike Rotundo & Curt Hennig vs. Mr. Go & Larry Zbyszko (5/1/86)

This is the first time I've had a chance to listen and watch rather than be on "the panel". Great show, guys. Here's my rankings:

1.) Christ, of course Gibson was better than Rogers. :lol:

2.) Phil's reaction to Will's mush mouthed Matt Hardy observation.

3.) "Boring" chants happened in the 80's a lot in the NE, Will. I swear it was never me.

4.) Murdoch actually never went to West Texas Sate but did manipulate his way into an alumni-varsity game once. I remember someone telling the story that he hung out there all the time drinking beer with the team so much, that people just considered him an Alumni.

5.)Thank you, more people who remember that shitty Cali fed.

6.) Kris being the Mr. Data from the South. Just info at the drop of a hat. I loved Phil's "How would I know? That's what I'd ask you" And Kris being able to access Greg Gagnes work schedule instantly is amazingly scary and disturbing.

7.)Doug Somers being the sleaziest looking guy ever. He looks like Riff Raff from Rocky Horror before going bald. He's Lestat after letting himself go.

8.) THE SEVEN SEATS! And a group has sat IN THEM.

Posted Image

9.) STANDIN' TALL BILL WATTS!

10.) Will talking while eating a pizza, during Somers/ Rotundo.

11.) Will and Kris doing the big shill in the middle of Rotundo/ Somers.

:P

Oh, match rankings...

1. Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86)

2. Mike Rotundo & Curt Hennig vs. Mr. Go & Larry Zbyszko (5/1/86)

3. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (4/20/86)

4. Mike Rotundo vs. Doug Somers (5/1/86)

5. Rick Martel vs. Harley Race (4/20/86)

6. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White (5/1/86)

7. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (5/17/86) Just because of the stupid AWA finish that pissed me off as much now as it did then. TWO TAG TITLE BULLSHIT CHANGES IN A YEAR.

Phil is instantly hilarious. I blame myself for not getting coffee or something with him since I've been working in DC for 6 or 7 years now. Oddest substitute Johnny ever. I am not a Michaels fan by any means but on this set he's almost always the poor man's Morton, not Gibson. he's the FIP in almost every Rockers match on the set. I do think this is some of his better career stuff, especially when he's got Rose and Somers to help him along. I've got this one as my working 44, right under Brad vs Martel.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an excel file of these things. I love Harley vs Martel since it really feels like Martel is one of the top stars of the world. That's also the feeling I get in the Martel + Zenk vs Dory and Terry tag, but that's another story. I also need to watch Martel vs Flair from Japan since i've never seen that. Man, swinging neckbreakers are awesome when done well. Screw that. This is my working #23. It's probably a little high but just a little.

AWA crowds are absolutely reprobates. Buncha jerks. I swear in the early early 80s Verne never his heels get proper heat in the matches since he was afraid of riots. Anyway I love Bock in the Hansen match. He's basically playing Wahoo in Wahoo vs Bock. I have that as my working #26. The US Hansen match I want to see for some insane reason is this: Sting & PN News defeated the Great Muta & Stan Hansen when Sting pinned Muta after hitting him with a chair from a WCW House show in St. Louis. I don't think that was fancammed. There's also a Rick Steiner/Yellow Dog (Pillman) vs Windham + Hansen match that was probably a ton of fun, but again, Omni house show. I need to see the Hansen vs Idol bunkhouse match. I've never seen that either.

And that's as far as I got before a meeting devoured me whole. Will continue tomorrow.

Liked the back-half. Liked hearing about the WWF 80s process. I envy the obscure stuff Kris is watching.

Anyway,

4. Rick Martel vs. Harley Race (4/20/86)

5. Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86)

6. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (4/20/86)

7. Mike Rotundo vs. Doug Somers (5/1/86)

8. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White (5/1/86)

13. Mike Rotundo & Curt Hennig vs. Mr. Go & Larry Zbyszko (5/1/86)

14. Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (5/17/86)

That's my least favorite finish on the set by far. I can't forgive it. Not even a little. I liked the Hernandez match more than you guys did. I get that it was "just what it was," but it was the best possible version of what it was.

• 1 month later...

I love Phil on the shows because of his generally sarcastic attitude and he brought his A game for this show. Him talking about how hot Sherri was (I agree with him) immediately was a highlight.

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Midnight Rockers (4/20/86) - Great opening match up between these teams that got me real excited for the overall feud. This is probably a 60-80 type match.

Rick Martel vs. Harley Race (4/20/86) - On one hand, this match has a lot of stuff Im usually not a huge fan of as I love nasty brawls or body control work. On the other hand, this had a ton of variety of moves and I loved the little touches Race threw in his strikes that you guys picked up on. I see someone like Parv having this super high given the amount of moves in this match. It will probably still have a shot in the top 30 for me.

Stan Hansen vs. Nick Bockwinkel (4/20/86) - Sitting at # 8 currently and probably top 20 lock. Awesome match in front of a big crowd. I wish Hansen would have dropped the belt here but Im glad we got a big time match between these two.

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White (5/1/86)- This wont be a bottom 10 match because the work was solid but it did feel like one of the more expendable matches so far. It was nice to see 3 out of the 4 performances but it felt like we see as good a tv match every week these days and Hernandez did nothing.

Mike Rotundo & Curt Hennig vs. Mr. Go & Larry Zbyszko (5/1/86) - Go was really cool in this match and brought a neat dynamic. MIddle match but a lot of fun.

Mike Rotundo vs. Doug Somers (5/1/86) - Best Rotunda singles match ever? It is in my opinion as he did great here selling the eye work and looking pissed off seeking revenge. Top 50 candidate.

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Scott Hall & Curt Hennig (5/17/86) - Decent match with the big title change. Finish was pretty shitty though and didn't make a ton of sense.

• 2 months later...

Phil Schneider might just be the ultimate contrarian. Within 10 minutes on this show, he's already said that he thinks Shawn Michaels is a "poor man's Robert Gibson" and that Gibson was a "much better worker" than Tommy Rogers.

I consider these views to be controversial in the extreme.

Rose/ Somers vs. The Midnight Rockers

More great schtick stuff from Rose at the start of this.

This felt more like scene setting more than anything else, but it wasn't bad scene setting. I like the dynamic between the two teams so far.

I also like how Rose is clearly positioned as the leader of that team. Sherri is HIS valet. Somers seems to take his cues from Rose. Michaels and Jannetty seem to focus on him as the "big bad". I quite like that.

C+

Race vs. Martel

Harley Race in 1986, in AWA. Holy randomness Batman. Seems like there are quite a few guys who had real short stints or one-off appearances in AWA in 86 before heading to WWF, but Race has got to be the most random of them so far.

I like the pace at which they are working this. Back and forth with big bombs from both guys.

Martel is fantastic laying in the punches and strikes.

I like the big stadium feel of this and it plays well to both guys styles. Martel works so "big". He doesn't just miss an elbow drop, he REALLY misses an album drop. You couldn't miss the fact he missed an elbow in row Z. And there are people sitting way up there in the God seats.

Neckbreaker by Race, back suplex by Martel. Massive bump over the top by Race to outside. Don't know what anyone else thinks, but I am digging this. What's there not to like here?

Martel's firing up. Gutwrench suplex!

Martel going after the leg with the big ROW Z ELBOW DROPS. Come on, this is excellent stuff.

Watching this Martel is reminding me of Ricky Steamboat quite a lot. They way he works isn't a million miles away from Steamboat.

Ok, you can expect that finish, but I really enjoyed this. It wasn't exactly big on psychology, but I really enjoyed this alot. Lots of action, awesome selling, cool bombs.

Great and should finish reasonably high.

A-

Genuinely laughed out loud at KrisZ breaking down varieties of 80s Minnesotta scumbags.

Hansen vs. Bockwinkel

Another "dream match" scenario for me. Bock was looking SEXY in 1986. Nice tan Nick.

Very cool match up with Bock not afraid to bring it vs the big bruiser. Big slugfest post-match too.

I liked that Bock was kept strong throughout this when it might easily have been more one-sided given 1. that Hansen basically destroyed Hennig and 2. we saw Bock give Hennig a lot earlier.

Would be pushing higher if it had gone longer and had a better finish.

A-

Note to self: probably put Race / Martel higher despite the equal ratings.

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers vs. Jesse Hernandez & Leon White

So of all the guys in the AWA, Leon White turns to Jesse Hernandez as a partner?

Seeing White and Rose close up and the size difference is not that big.

Some AWESOME fans in the front row there. Ha ha ha ha.

Very random thought: Doug Somers would make a tremendous zombie in a zombie move. He has a very zombie look to him. He has a zombie build.

White looks a bit awkward at times, still obviously green. Rose does his best to make him look great though.

Don't think Somers's punches on Hernandez look particularly effective. Seemed to do a good job of getting both Rose/Somers and White over though. Crowd reacted well.

C-

For all the shit Will talks about him, I really don't think Rotunda is Steve Regal-level bad. He's boring a lot of the time sure, but not that bad, and does have a good match in him when he's on.

Rotunda / Hennig vs. Zybysko / Mr. Go

Mr. Go is someone I've never heard of or seen before. Quite possibly the shittest name in wrestling history. What the fuck? "Mr. Go"? Does he give you £200 when you walk past him?

Rotunda seems to have gone to the gym since when last we saw him.

A lot of the crowd have decided to come disguised as chairs this evening.

Zybysko getting stuck in the ropes as Hennig kicks him in the stomach was a pretty great spot.

I've enjoyed a lot of what I've seen of Larry Z on this set so far. Seems odd to say it, but he kind of feels like Bockwinkel Jr.

This was good fun. Mr. Go looked good too.

B-

Rotunda vs. Somers

After the early headlock, things pick up with a big Somers bump to the outside. Rotunda hits a big European uppercut. Back to the headlock.

Big back suplex to get out of it from Somers. "Stomach breaker".

Somers has been really good in this match so far. In the absence of Rose he's working the crowd pretty well too.

Rotunda wraps the leg around the post with anger. And he's got colour.

HIGH backdrop. Rotunda is fired up and pissed off. Shit, Rotunda is bringing it here! He works a little bit like this in the feud with The Steiner Brothers in 1989.

Really good match.

A-

This is turning out to be a great disc.

Re: future 80s set talk. I honestly can't see how the JCP / NWA set won't be the "peak" set. Just from the stuff Chad and I have seen watching the big shows and cherry picking TV, the sheer amount of quality there is staggering. Once you factor in hidden gems that might crop up, 80-83 era stuff that we haven't really looked at, hard to see how it won't top all the others.

Rose / Somers vs. Hall / Hennig

Extended shine sequence left me cold. Crowd seem bored by it, which doesn't help. I'm not digging this arm work at all.

I spot a guy in the front row wearing a white "wifebeater" vest with a long blonde moustache and long blonde hair. He has a strangely effeminette build. Awesome 80s fan.

Scott Hall flatout sucked in 1986.

Terrible finish. TERRIBLE FINISH.

I wasn't into this.

D