Pro Wrestling Only

Early Hulk Hogan

evilclown

If Hogan told someone that he struggled early in his wrestling career and considered going back to working on the docks or something—that would be an enormous lie right? From what I can tell he was wrestling Andre his first year and competing with Jack Brisco and Harley his second. He was a star from the very beginning right?

Anyone have a good idea how often, if ever, he lost by pinfall in those days? It seems like "never" is the answer. It's hard to imagine someone more carefully protected and pushed throughout his career.

Tell me why I'm wrong, if I am. Please? Trying very hard not to be worked by the workers.

It seems like the only time he did any jobs was as the Super Destroyer very early on, but once he was Sterling Golden/Terry Boulder he was being put over everyone and having DQ finishes with the top guys pretty quickly.

He did disputed jobs to Tony Atlas in the WWF (really, REALLY fast 3 counts). After that, probably none until The Main Event.

I think if Hogan were to ever have considered leaving the business it would have been before his WWF run, and probably something, if honestly considered, that would have been a reaction to a 20 dollar pay for a semi-main or a main event shot in a small southern territory or after an event in a poorly attended high-school gym setting.

I don't doubt he had the "leaving the business" chat with someone, but I suspect he had it once, the person he told it to told another worker, and they told two more, and so on, and some/all of the secondary recipients of the story have adopted it as "Hogan told that to me and I convinced him not to leave the business", making themselves the primary character with Hogan.

Who "Patient Zero" is, however, would be very difficult to figure out at this point, I would guess.

There are no gaps that could account for him quitting to work on the docks. Maybe he considered quitting, but he was constantly working, and Super Destroyer and GCW (because of Ole thinking he was took hard to book) runs aside, was always pushed fairly heavily.

Hogan probably would have made an excellent docker. Not just in terms of the manual labour, his political skills would have ensured he'd have been running that union within his first year and proably turning over a healthy nderground sideline by year two.

Nothing that Marlon Brando or Jimmy McNulty could have done about it. You really gonna snitch? Watcha gonna do brother, when me and all my dockermaniacs run wild on you!

He was also in a tag match, partnered with Bret in Japan right around the time he won the title from the Iron Sheik, too.

Found 5 instances of Hogan/Bret in same ring from 79-87.

GEORGIA

Augusta, GA 11/5/79: Sterling Golden beat Bret Hart

Augusta, GA 12/5/79: NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Champion Sterling Golden beat Bret Hart

NJPW

Hachinohe, Japan 2/6/84: Tatsumi Fujinami & Akira Maeda beat WWE Champion Hulk Hogan & Bret Hart

Heikinan, Japan 2/8/84: Antonio Inoki, Akira Maeda, & Kengo Kimura beat WWE Champion Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, & Iron Mike Sharpe

WWF

Worcester, MA 4/23/87 (Coliseum Video exclusive): WWE Champion Hulk Hogan & Billy Jack Haynes beat World Tag Team Champions The Hart Foundation (Bret "Hit Man" Hart & Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart) & "Dangerous" Danny Davis in a handicap match

Source: Old Hogan Results website

WWF

Worcester, MA 4/23/87 (Coliseum Video exclusive): WWE Champion Hulk Hogan & Billy Jack Haynes beat World Tag Team Champions The Hart Foundation (Bret "Hit Man" Hart & Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart) & "Dangerous" Danny Davis in a handicap match

What Coliseum Video did this appear on? I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

WWF

What Coliseum Video did this appear on? I'm not sure I've ever seen it.

WWF's Even More Unusual Matches