Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-03-16-WCW-Uncensored] DDP and Randy Savage

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Tony Schiavone suggests DDP stepping in for Rick Steiner. I'm glad they mentioned it, but at the same time, I'm glad they found a way for it not to happen by laying him out here, as I am enjoying DDP's slow push to feud with a top star. He should have at least answered the question when Gene asked him though.

DDP wants to focus on challenging Savage to get into the ring. Savage and Liz show up and Savage calls him The Man because his wife is the Playboy centerfold! This is the first time the marriage of DDP and Kimberly has been acknowledged on the air. Kimberly comes out of the back crying and covered in NWO spray paint. This distracts DDP long enough for Savage to lay him out. DDP gets spraypainted and when Kimberly tries to cover her, Elizabeth has a little fun and spraypaints her.

I enjoyed Savage's sense of irony in this segment quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always loved this angle and the way it plays out. Both the real life aspects and the irony for what Savage says helps elevate DDP but you don't think Savage is saying it ironically and that he truly believes everything he is saying. I also like seeing how sad Liz was played off with her shear delight to spraypaint Kimberly in this segment.

• 2 weeks later...

DDP wants Savage who has been avoiding him. Savage gets my attention immediately. Elizabeth is holding a Nude Celebrities magazine. Savage name drops one of his girlfiends Pam Anderson. Ah, but Kimberly is one of the centerfold girls. Google time. Kimberly has spray paint all over her and Savage attacks DDP. Elizabeth shows as much personality on the mic that you will ever see.

• 9 months later...

Amazing that WCW actually had the first pro-wrestling Playboy centerfold and they really weren't aware of it before it happened. Savage is excellent here, all ironic and shit. Liz spraypainting Kim was totally bitching. Love this angle. Savage turning back heel really propelled him to the last great feud of his career. Kim back on TV is good too, although I wish they had found a way to explain why she was indeed "back" with DDP (after she left him in 96).

• 1 year later...

Okerlund questions if DDP could take Rick Steiner's place, but DDP is only here to go after Savage. Randy is here to apologize for misjudging Page--as judged by his wife's presence in the new Celebrity Playboy. Savage talking about his past fling with Pamela Anderson as Liz nods along is hilarious. Savage is such a grade-A jerk in this segment, it's the most energy he's shown since the Flair feud, and it's a totally different kind of energy than just being a nut.

• GSR changed the title to [1997-03-16-WCW-Uncensored] DDP and Randy Savage