Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-07-06-WWF-Canadian Stampede] Taka Michinoku vs Great Sasuke

Loss

• 1 month later...

The Mankind/Helmsley brawl before this match almost felt designed to ensure this wouldn't have any heat. I wish I could take the commentary from Jim Ross (and even Jerry Lawler -- who works hard to get this over) and make it the soundtrack to a WCW match.

These guys should have worked a slightly more American (well, Canadian) style. This was weirdly worked in the sense that for the first several minutes, whenever they did pull out a highspot that got a reaction, they didn't follow up with a pin attempt. Covers are how moves get over as something that matters in U.S. wrestling, so this felt off as a result. The stiff shots from Sasuke looked great, but I wish they had more help laying out a show stealer that could have gotten over with this crowd.

I can see watching this why the WWF thought Taka had more potential than Sasuke, as his style is closer to the house style and he does show some charisma. Good match, but nothing too special.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't seen this in ages. I thought this had got more over with the crowd but WWF fans are tough for a new act with no build up. Well, most fans would be. Crowd aren’t disrespectful but they are quiet. They do pop for Taka’s big moves and quickly rally behind him. Sasuke gets his how response with his strikes. I was glad that WWF was at least trying new things but they were really late to trying to push a Light Heavyweight division and WCW's group was much stronger at this point. Taka plays to the crowd pretty good. Sasuke is just focused on the match itself. Good match and it was nice to have a different variety of styles on show.

• 2 months later...

Maybe if you just watched WWF, this was a rare occurrence but this screams of the template that the ROH DG six man set that it was only an average match of the one they have in Japan. I disagree with that statement on the ROH front, but it holds true here as they had some good highspots that all looked good and not much meat to the match beyond that. Everything else was a transition to the next high spot. I would still call the match good but I do think it kind of falters the overall stigma of this PPV slightly as there is no way it has two blow away great matches.

• 2 months later...

I can see watching this why the WWF thought Taka had more potential than Sasuke, as his style is closer to the house style and he does show some charisma. Good match, but nothing too special.

TAKA was trying to integrate the crowd a little bit at least while Sasuke worked completely in a bubble.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, you definitely understand why the WWF was higher on Taka coming out of this. The heat was noticeable but I liked this a good deal--actually, I think both guys need to be credited for having this good of a match, complete with lots of rope-running and springboarding, in the unfamiliar WWF ring that has eaten up many a high-flyer in the past. I was dreading the announcing going into this but all 3 do a passable job, even Lawler who I was dreading the most as he refrains from any jokes about rice or Japanese accents. I'll take this Lawler announcing a cruiserweight match over Larry Z.

• 1 year later...

The fans had no idea who they were to start. They warmed to the underdog Taka through the contest. This was a good 'showcase' type of match as both men demonstrated their high flying skills. Sasuke could never work a damn on the mat, so it's best to stick to what he's good at. You could call this a spotfest, but it was no more so than what the Luchadores were doing in WCW at the time. Given that several MPro wrestlers would go on to get contracts in WWE you'd have to say this was a very positive first outing.

• 6 months later...

I really enjoyed this. It's not great, but it's really good. They won the crowd over by the end of it. Some great spots & dives in this. It's a greatest hits match between these two but good version of it. Sasuke pulls out the win.

• 10 months later...

Great Sasuke vs Taka Michinoku - WWF Canadian Stampede 1997

After a year, the WWF finally tries to respond to WCW's Cruiserweight division by striking up a partnership with Michinoku Pro. Great Sasuke as the founder/owner/biggest star of M-Pro he is a no brainer. I think Taka is the best of the M-Pro talent to bring over with him charisma, breath-taking highspots and good psychology. This a showcase/touring match like you would see out of Rey vs Psicosis. I enjoyed this one a lot and they won over a dead Calgary crowd. I will say at least Calgary was open to liking the match. They popped for the stiff spots. Sasuke NAILED Taka twice with two wicked kicks. Taka got Sasuke good with an open hand slap. Sasuke busted out his missile dropkick to the floor and Asai Moonsault while Taka had an insane running, top rope, springboard cross body. Wicked air. Michinoku Driver got a good reaction and Lawler marked out. Should have been the finish. Sasuke hit his usual finish sequence: quebrada, Crucifix Powerbomb and adds a Tiger Suplex. WWF was led to believe Sasuke was the star but it was clear Taka Michinoku had the charisma. He had a great smile that can be heart-warming and dickish. I enjoyed this a lot even if it was a no-selling, spotfest. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1997-07-06-WWF-Canadian Stampede] Taka Michinoku vs Great Sasuke