Pro Wrestling Only

The Bret Hart Ego Thread

Loss

Does he realize how terrible he comes across when he says things like this?

I think I’m the guy that brought the ladder match concept to the company in the first place. I brought it from Calgary and Shawn stole the idea from me. I wouldn’t really say it’s a touchy subject but we all know what happened, Shawn too. I think if they hadn’t stole the idea from me and used it at Wrestlemania, I think I would’ve had a ladder match with Owen instead of a cage match. The concept was great, and Shawn got all the credit for having a great match with Razor Ramon, but it’s easy to take someone’s idea and do all the spots.

It is really weird and delusional to think that other wrestlers are not allowed to use ideas that you think you came up with. I'm not even entirely convinced that the ladder match is his creation.

Anyway, use this thread to capture all future Bret Hart ego run amuck.

Also:

I think there have been a lot of great Canadian wrestlers and wrestling’s still really popular in Canada. I think you’re going to see a lot guys in the future who’ll aspire to be the next Bret Hart or Owen Hart or Chris Jericho. I think if anything, in Canada they’re held to a higher standard, and in the dressing rooms and stuff like that you’re actually respected and required to be a little more respectful than the American guys are down south and that always pays off. Guys who are in the WWE who are Canadian are always humble and are really hard workers and guys that don’t really complain a lot. It has a lot to do with why they do as well as they do it’s because they have a good attitude. Wrestlers from Canada always have good attitudes. They always have their feet on the ground, they’re not troublemakers or complainers when things don’t go right. They’re just a little more rational. American wrestlers are a little more hot under the collar, alittle more opinionated, and sometimes, just sometimes, they’re a little bit harder to deal with. The egos sometimes get out of check and other things hold them back.

Every Canadian wrestler is great and American wrestlers tend to have attitude problems.

I don't know if it's the concussions he had or if it's just always been his nature, but at 56 years old, he's starting to sound like the old family member you have to be polite to, but who is such a complainer and so negative that no one really enjoys their company.

The whole "Canadian Pride" attitude Bret displays in the second quote is something that emerged in my country in the late-90s or so, around the time of the Canada vs USA feud, and I find it beyond obnoxious in 2013. In some circles, praise of America and criticism of Canada is akin to advocating Muslim extremism, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

And I'm pretty sure Bret didn't invent the ladder match concept. It came from Stampede, but was first used around 1975, long before Bret started wrestling.

It is really weird and delusional to think that other wrestlers are not allowed to use ideas that you think you came up with. I'm not even entirely convinced that the ladder match is his creation.

In Bret's defense, he's not saying that he invented the ladder match. But, rather he brought the concept to the WWF, which seems to be true.

In Bret's defense, he's not saying that he invented the ladder match. But, rather he brought the concept to the WWF, which seems to be true.

And when he pitched it to Vince, he got Vince to promise not to use it for anyone else. The dark match that ended up on Coliseum Video was the proof of concept and the idea was they'd do it at Summerslam '92 if the show was in DC instead of London.

One of my favorite lines of Shawn's incredible late 1997 heel run was the night after the Screwjob, "Give me a break Sarge, I just beat a man who believes he is a legend in his own mind." Shawn was so good at getting under Bret's skin during that run. It always cracked me up as he talked circles around Bret and Bret could not doing anything about it well besides make middle school level homophobic jokes. Now, I just want watch Shawn slaughter Bret on the mic.

The whole "Canadian Pride" attitude Bret displays in the second quote is something that emerged in my country in the late-90s or so, around the time of the Canada vs USA feud, and I find it beyond obnoxious in 2013. In some circles, praise of America and criticism of Canada is akin to advocating Muslim extremism, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.

And I'm pretty sure Bret didn't invent the ladder match concept. It came from Stampede, but was first used around 1975, long before Bret started wrestling.

Ricky, as a fellow Canuckian, I'd argue that attitude emerged far, far earlier than that time period. Look at the Guess Who's "American Woman", for instance. Hell, I still remember the first Jays World Series when someone in Atlanta was holding a Canadian flag that happened to be upside down. If you heard people discussing it at the time, you would've thought Bush Sr. threatened to bomb Canada or something.

No, that (immature, obnoxious) attitude has existed for a long time and still does today? Did you know the U.S. has no fans of hockey whatsoever and that they should move the New York Rangers to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan? It didn't start at the time of the Hart Foundation angle, although that's the kind of egofuck Bret would love.

Ricky, as a fellow Canuckian, I'd argue that attitude emerged far, far earlier than that time period. Look at the Guess Who's "American Woman", for instance. Hell, I still remember the first Jays World Series when someone in Atlanta was holding a Canadian flag that happened to be upside down. If you heard people discussing it at the time, you would've thought Bush Sr. threatened to bomb Canada or something.

No, that (immature, obnoxious) attitude has existed for a long time and still does today? Did you know the U.S. has no fans of hockey whatsoever and that they should move the New York Rangers to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan? It didn't start at the time of the Hart Foundation angle, although that's the kind of egofuck Bret would love.

Not to derail this with a bunch of non-wrestling Canadian talk that most around here don't give two shits about, but I didn't mean to suggest that the Canada vs USA feud was the catalyst for a surge in anti-American feelings in Canada or anything. I just meant that the explosion of modern Canadian patriotism began, from my perspective, around the same time. It was partly sports-related, like you mentioned with the 92 World Series, but more so because of hockey-related slights (of course, it's all we care about after all), like Canada losing the 96 hockey World Cup to the States, Winnipeg and Quebec City's NHL teams moving to the States, a streak of American teams winning the Stanley Cup, etc.

I'm scratching my head over anything in the quotes being surprising, new or that big of a deal. On the scale of Wrestling Talking Shit, that's pretty tame.

And it's downright objective compared to a typical "Hulk Hogan remembers..." quote.

Having sour grapes over a great match happening nearly 20 years ago that didn't involve him, while on the same show he regained the WWF title after having a classic match with his brother, really makes Bret come across as a guy who still harbors a lot of bitter feelings and resentment, despite saying he got closure on his relationship with the company after returning in 2010 and doing the Montreal DVD with Shawn. Even the recent point about HHH never having a great match, whether you agree with it not, seemed like a bitter, childish cheapshot.

Bret keeps saying he's past it on one hand, then he throws stuff out like this that shows he clearly isn't. I think Bret is entitled to his bitterness, but masking it is the petty part.

Bret Hart and Loss never mix well. :)

That is why I think it comes across as petty. I know there are threads out there where we laugh at JR or HHH or whatever, but it isn't like Bret is making outrageous claims here. If he took the ladder match concept to Vince then yes it is fair to expect to be part of the company's presentation of your ideas. Look at Rocky. Stallone threatened to take the idea to the grave if the studio cast James Caan in the role instead of him. People tend to be a bit possessive over things they are at least partially responsible for. And the Canadian pride thing? That is not new or exclusive to Bret or even Canadians or pro wrestling. National pride runs rampant in pretty much every medium of entertainment. Some takes it further than others but it's there. Then the thing where he criticizes HHH for not having a great match, well that is his opinion. People are allowed to do that, even after making up with the company.

So if I had started the thread it would have been ok?

My thought is that Bret gets a pass for some of the nuttier things he says because he was the hero of a lot of 90's fans and because he was seen as the ultimate victim of Vince douchery. In general threads like this aren't my thing, but it's not like Bret is some Jim Brunzell type

It's petty because in a previous thread, I argued for Ric Flair as a better wrestler than Bret Hart?

Anyway, the point was not that he isn't entitled to his opinions. The point was a larger one about the relationship between Bret Hart and WWE. If Bret doesn't forgive them for what they did to him, and it was a lot, he's perfectly allowed to feel that way and it's a reasonable point of view. But forgiveness is forgiveness. He claimed he wanted to make peace with WWE and get past the bitterness. But this is the equivalent of a lover's spat where peace is made on the argument and one party keeps bringing up old issues in future arguments, professing forgiveness without actually granting it.

If he still harbors hard feelings toward HHH and Shawn, so be it, but why you say you've buried the hatchet then dig up old wounds? That seems to be what he's doing lately.

Ok look, I didn't want to turn this into Loss vs me or Loss vs Bret, and I will recognize I come across a bit poorly so sure, these points are valid and anything is worth a thread I suppose. I just wish there was a certain level of perspective here. He got screwed over badly. There is something to be said about forgiving but not forgetting. Dunno. I am not Bret here. I shouldn't speak for him.